General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit = shoulder soreness? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-21 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: Wetsuit = shoulder soreness?
Hi everyone,
So I'm really new around here. Been training for triathlon since around June. I've completed two tris so far, the first being an olympic length (but with the swim in a pool) and the second this past weekend with an open water swim. I've swam in open water before, but never with a wetsuit until Sunday. I can swim 2 miles at this point without much issue in the pool. The swim Sunday was 750M and my shoulders were on fire and still hurt today. Was I doing something wrong or do I just need to swim more in a wetsuit to help my muscles account for the added resistance? The wetsuit really made my shoulders feel constricted.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by syscrash 2010-09-21 1:50 PM

2010-09-21 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3110325

User image

Subject: RE: Wetsuit = shoulder soreness?
Odds are you didn't pull it up enough. You should have wrinkles in your shoulders when you first get into the water.

You might want to see if they'll accept it as an exchange for a larger size as well, just in case.
2010-09-21 3:03 PM

User image

Regular
Gurnee, IL
There is a slight form change of swimming with a wetsuit as well - a little shorter reach with the arms. If you were trying to do your regular freestyle - that could account for part of the issue.
2010-09-21 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Could be how you put it on or how it fits you. If it doesn't fit really well you'll be using some of your stroke to stretch the wetsuit each time. Not fun.
2010-09-21 4:08 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
I'll assume that you have the correct size suit.  First off - swimming in a wetsuit will add some extra strain to the shoulders since you're now restricting them.  Not a lot, but enough to notice.

Second, as to Daniel's post above, you likely need to hike them up a bit more.  When I started swimming in mine I had the cuffs near my wrists, where I would expect  them to be, but I didn't take into consideration that I have pretty long arms.  So I started to hike them up more allowing more range in the shoulders - problem fixed.

Look at my avatar.  It's not as dramatic now, but this was shortly after suffering sore shoulders and I was hiking the sleeves to the extreme.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit = shoulder soreness? Rss Feed