General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Fasciitis? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-25 5:50 PM

New user

Subject: Plantar Fasciitis?
Hi everyone. I need a little advice. Sorry for the long winded post but here we go.

I'm in my late 30's and began training for an Oly tri. I had been more or less sedentary for some time (a decade or so). I am also obese, roughly 225 and 5'10". After seeing the doctor for an OK I began to train slowly. Here we are 3 months later. I have lost a few pounds but I'm still heavy for my height. My swimming is fine. I can bike without issue but running was taking longer. I finally got to the point where I can run for 3 miles without walking. I feel good, my training is 3 weeks increase in distance followed by one week going easy. I take one full day off a week and do one or two bricks. The bricks are easy workouts (1/2 my long days at a slow pace). I monitor everything with a heart rate monitor and try hard to keep things easy.

Now I suspect I am developing Plantar Fasciitis. My heal is sore right where my arch begins in the middle of the foot. It is not very intese pain but it feels stiff in the morning. It feels much better if I strech. Most of the day I don't really notice it.

I figured I would go see the Doc but as luck would have it he is less anxious to see me. I can't get an appointment for a couple of weeks.

Here is my quandry. I am 9 weeks from my race. I can swim my race distance. My long bike is almost equal to my race distance as well. My run is at half race distance but, now I'm worried about my foot. I don't want to make things worse but I do not want to lose all my base etiher.

I am considering the following precautions:

1. Stop running for two weeks, replace with walking race distance once a week and one short recovery walk. Bike a little more since that doesn't seem to be causing me any trouble.
2. I bought some gel heel pads.
3. Streaching my foot several times a day.
4. Monitor how my foot feels daily.

Am I crazy for trying to continue under these circumstances or does this seem like a reasonable approach?

2005-07-25 6:03 PM
in reply to: #206946

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: Plantar Fasciitis?
This is going to sound too simple:

http://www.thesock.com/

I have battled Plantars for years. This thing works! I'm 99% + now.

By keeping the muscles on the bottom of your foot streached throughout the night - you do not re-injure your foot in the morning (putting body weight on cold, tight, small muscle). The muscle stays streached, heals, and mends to the heel of the foot.

It takes a few weeks but the results are much better, quicker, simpler than surgery. The only downsides are the $34.95 price and looking geeky before bed.

Best wishes.....
2005-07-25 10:34 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Arch support is very helpful.  A guy at the running store talked me into inserts called "superfeet", they are quite rigid but I LOVE them!  I am on my feet for 6-8 hours a night at work so I put them in my work shoes too.

I won't tell you my problems are cured but it's a drastic improvement And the improvement was quick, only took a few days of wearing them.  It was $35 well spent, and according to the manager of the running store they should last a year.

http://www.superfeet.com/content/index.html 

Edited by CindyK 2005-07-25 10:36 PM
2005-07-25 10:48 PM

Regular
Milwaukee, WI
I'm no expert, but you also need to do some specific strengthening of the muscles that work with/for/against your plantar fascia. Walk (don't run-ha ha) to the store or library and check out "Running Injury Free" by Joe Ellis. If you can't find it, you might try the website for Runner's World. I use one that belongs to a friend, but I believe that's where he got it. There are specific exercises and stretches to do that help relieve the pain, but also strengthen the other muscles.

As with anything, you also want to Rest,Ice,Compress,and Elevate it. After I do anything (run, walk, even sometimes bike), and then stretch, I put an ice wrap on it and put my feet up. Keep stretching, stretching, stretching.

No matter what, keep up all of your hard work. It will pay off in the end!
~ GOOD LUCK :-) Lisa
PS Have you done a search of BT forums for the term plantar fascitis?
2005-07-26 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Here is a good site for you to visit. www.smiweb.org Look at their injury prevention guides. The other suggestion I have for you is to spend as much time as you can in your barefeet. This will strengthen your feet. I like to run at my local park on the grass. That will strengthen your legs and feet. I'm flat footed and usually need orthotics in my shoes otherwise I am in pain, but since I have spent more time barefoot this year I am injury free.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Fasciitis? Rss Feed