General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Nothing" new on race day? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-24 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: "Nothing" new on race day?
I recently bought a pair of K-Swiss K-onas in an attempt to find my tri shoe for 2011.  I'm going to go sockless, next year.  But, I've found (for ME), these aren't "the ones".  No biggie.  The shoes are great for intermediate training runs (4-8mi), and they'll be great for stand-alone 5-10K races.  For longer training runs, I feel better in a more stable trainer (Asics nimbus shoes).

But, to the point of my post......Do any of you do longer races (I have a HM, next weekend) in a more race-focused shoe than you train in?  The longest I've run in the K-onas is probably 8+mi..

I have no issues with running in the nimbus (I need a new pair, anyways).  But, how do you know when maybe you don't need "as much" shoe?  Would you think twice about doing the longer run in a shoe you haven't tested in training (at that distance)?  Much ado about nothing?

2010-09-24 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3115483

User image

New user
Columbus, Indiana
Subject: RE: "Nothing" new on race day?
I like to race in light weight racing flats. Goes back to my Highschool Cross Country days I think. Probably mostly a mental thing though. I just feel faster in lightweight racing shoes. I wore LunarRacers when I did the Muncie Endurathon 1/2 ironman distance. The only problem I had was black toes, but I think that was just a size thing. I didn't take into account how much my feet would be swelled after 56miles on a bike in the heat! Should have sized up 1/2 size I think.

However,  I'm doing my first full marathon in November. I'm debating myself b/w racing flats and sticking with my Vomeros
2010-09-24 9:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
First of all, I would never, ever try something on race day that was not tried and tested in training. Part superstition, part "why?". Race days are special so I always go with the classic motto. By the book.

Second: race flats. I love race flats (also from XC/track days of old). BUT, I find that they are so light and flimsy that they are nearly impossible to put on quickly. Therefore, I stick with my tried and true ASICS Kayano's with yankz (I actually use an old pair that I retired to "race only" use). If it was a 5k, I would wear racing flats (I like nike "waffle" racers personally). It is probably more mental than anything, although I am certain there is some advantage physically. Just makes common sense. I would not use a race flat for anything over a 10k, but others do. Depends on your physiology (are you injury prone, pronate a lot, etc.).

2010-09-24 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I don't even know what pronate means.  And, I've gotten to within a week of my HM with no injuries or issues.  I've also worn the shoes in question for 8+mi. training runs.  Just wondered if the lighter shoe would be OK for the full 13.1.  Hence my post.

Thanks!
2010-09-24 9:20 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
I used to train in trainer and race in racing flats.  Now I just do all my running in the flats.  I wouldn't try anything too drastic for your 1/2 mary, but I wouldn't go and buy a shoe that you really don't want just for the race. 

But to answer the "new stuff on race day" question, I have tried new things on race day on all the time.  I wouldn't do it for my "A" race, but for anything else, I try new stuff all the time.  I think that piece of advice gets repeated too often and really don't agree with it. 
2010-09-24 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
FWIW, I do all my races in racing flats. I never wear them in training for more than a few miles. Just long enough to know the shoe fits OK. You've worn the shoes for 8+ miles. Nothing is going to dramatically change by wearing them another 5 miles. Racing is about pushing yourself to go your fastest, not about trying to stay comfortable. If you want to wear the racing shoes - go for it!

2010-09-24 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I'm currently using 3 different pairs of shoes on my runs (rotating).  K-onas/Blade run lights and Gel nimbus.  But, I'm only doing the long runs (11-15mi.) in the Asics.

I just feel like the Konas are faster....lol.  I need new Asics.  So, that isn't the issue.  If it's best to run the race in them, I will.

I appreciate your thoughts (all).

Edited by nc452010 2010-09-24 9:32 AM
2010-09-24 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Racing flats are smart - they're faster.  But they should definitely also be worked into your training so you know you can handle them.
2010-09-24 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3115774

User image

Champion
i tend to do a lot of newer things on race days, but its somewhat of a calculated choice.

I'm racing my half this weekend in a tri suit that i've never worn, i change up my nutrition a bit in races depeding on what i have around, i've raced on new wheels in about 6 diff races, borrowed bikes twice.

To answer your question, i have/and would race in flats for the first time in a race (mine dont come out for anythig but races and now again again in the last month or two the track). didn't train in them before races, etc.

That said i'd been running enough to know how much i could probably get away with shoe wise.
2010-09-24 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3115714

User image

Chicago
nc452010 - 2010-09-24 8:58 AM But, to the point of my post......Do any of you do longer races (I have a HM, next weekend) in a more race-focused shoe than you train in?  The longest I've run in the K-onas is probably 8+mi..

I have no issues with running in the nimbus (I need a new pair, anyways).  But, how do you know when maybe you don't need "as much" shoe?  Would you think twice about doing the longer run in a shoe you haven't tested in training (at that distance)?  Much ado about nothing?

JohnAgs3 - 2010-09-24 10:14 AM First of all, I would never, ever try something on race day that was not tried and tested in training. Part superstition, part "why?". Race days are special so I always go with the classic motto. By the book. Second: race flats. I love race flats (also from XC/track days of old). BUT, I find that they are so light and flimsy that they are nearly impossible to put on quickly. Therefore, I stick with my tried and true ASICS Kayano's with yankz (I actually use an old pair that I retired to "race only" use). If it was a 5k, I would wear racing flats (I like nike "waffle" racers personally). It is probably more mental than anything, although I am certain there is some advantage physically. Just makes common sense. I would not use a race flat for anything over a 10k, but others do. Depends on your physiology (are you injury prone, pronate a lot, etc.).

Some people tend to rotate their foot in or out when they run... the fancy way to say that is they pronate or suponate, respectively.  I'm guessing that since you run in the lights and the nimbus, which are both neutral shoes, that you don't do either, so either shoe SHOULD work for the race.  My only concern would be are you prone to shin splints (or other injuries)?  I'm guessing (again) that if you can run 8+ miles in the lights and don't have a problem that a few extra miles shouldn't cause anything to flare up.  And mentally, it sounds like you might like them better for the HM...

I would love it if someone could answer the 'how do you know when you don't need as much shoe'...  Probably varies bythe person - I know when I need new shoes/ more shoe when I get shin pain the next day... unfortunately for me, that means I get about 150 miles in my Nimbus'... which I absolutely LOVE, BTW and will be going on my fifth pair tomorrow.

Edited by SHLD2005 2010-09-24 10:38 AM
2010-09-24 11:46 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
If I'm reading correctly, it sounds like you have done training runs in the flats up to about 8 miles. IMO, if you've run 8 miles in the flats, you should be fine for 13.1. You're not REALLY doing something new running in these shoes on race day. It sounds like you've run in them quite a bit, just not quite up to your race distance. I've done lots of racing and training in flats (including a number of "longer", i.e., 10 mi+, races) with no issues... If you choose to run in them, I think you'll be fine.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Nothing" new on race day? Rss Feed