General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Discomfort staying aero for too long Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-26 8:33 AM

Master
Boston
Subject: Discomfort staying aero for too long

Hi everyone: just thought I'd throw this out there and see what you all have to say about this. I just bought a new QR Kilo in June- been riding about 60 miles per week give or take. I find that it is uncomfortable to stay in the aero position for more than 5-10 minutes at a time. I constantly have to switch and put my hands on the top of the handlebars to relieve the strain from my neck/back. Does this get easier with practice? I'm pretty sure my bike fit is not the problem.

Anyways, just wanted to know how long it should take before I feel comfortable being aero for a long period of time. Thanks.

2005-07-26 8:45 AM
in reply to: #207397

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: RE: Discomfort staying aero for too long
There will be some adjustment, but you should be able to stay down for more than 10 minutes even early on.

Your position may be great from a technical standpoint, but that doesn't mean it's right for you. How flexible are you? I'm very lucky. My back is flexible so I've been able to ride a very low position for long periods of time right from the start. You might need to adjust your position a bit until you increase that flexibility.

It's early and this post isn't nearly as clear as I want it to be, but hopefully you get the point.
2005-07-26 9:01 AM

Veteran
I'm riding a QR Kilo also. I know exactly what you are feeling. But I have noticed that over time my back became used to the position. Now I can go for a good 30-45 minutes in aero. I've had the bike for about 7 weeks now.
2005-07-26 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Were you professionally fitted for the bike?  If not, this may be contributing to your discomfort.  Otherwise, I might suggest doing some neck, shoulder, back and core workouts at the gym to strengthen those muscle groups.  Even though biking is a leg intensive sport, the upper body needs to be strong since that is your point of real leverage for each pedal stroke.  Another thing you might check is where your feet are on the pedals.  If you get acurately checked out, a professional will analyze your pedal stroke and can shim your shoes to counteract any misalignments you may have in how you pedal the bike.  All of those factors, over time, can contribute to excess fatigue on the bike.

If its just fatigue, time in the saddle might help, too.

2005-07-26 9:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
Central Wisconsin
Are you aerobars adjustable? If so, try moving them forward a few centimeters. Make sure you make measurements before you do this though in case this dosent solve the problem and you want to move it back to the original position. Even though you were professionally fitted there are always a few tweaks that need to be done to find the optimal position. I had the same problem when I purchased my bike and I've since ended up moving my aerobars out and raising my seat a few cm.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Discomfort staying aero for too long Rss Feed