General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 25m 26s
Overall Rank = 28/260
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/20
Pre-race routine:

Got up real early but it was nice to get there without the need to rush. Had a bagel and some water for breakfast - delicious, I know.
Event warmup:

Quick run on the end of the run course and a short swim just before the pre-race meeting. I will admit, I was a little nervous about this race. Ok, a lot nervous. First olympic distance for me, but I felt well trained for it.
Swim
  • 30m 40s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

First 1500m open water swim. When the distance is all out there in front of you it can be a little daunting - ok, a lot. That said, I did as well as I could've. I tried to draft or at least keep someone to my right and sight off of their course. But I did have to sight a lot on my own. Luckily, there were plenty of tall landmarks near the lake for sighting.

I didn't really hit a consistent rhythm that often due to the other swimmers. We were bumping into each other the entire swim. At one point I noticed the color of the swim caps around me were different than my wave, they were from the wave in front of us. But then I noticed several caps from the wave behind us. I hardly saw any of the caps from my wave so I had no idea how I was doing.
What would you do differently?:

More long open water swim training.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

I was told that T1 is notoriously long at this race. Guess what, it was. made it to my spot quickly but had issues with the helmet. It seems that with all the throwing it around in the car it somehow got tightened and wouldn't fit so I had to waste time adjusting it. And again, the socks slowed me down, too.

Check helmet beforehand. Get bike shoes that fit so I can go sockless.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 48s
  • 24 miles
  • 21.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Coming out of transition the course went straight into a hill. This was probably the worse hill on the course, too. After the first hill this section was fast. After the turn to El Dorado the course flattened out but once it turned onto Stonebridge there was a stiff headwind from the north. The wind would also shift slightly into a crosswind that pushed me to the side a few times. I didn't do too well on the first 2 loops but by the start of the 3rd I had hit a good pace and my cadence was steady. I cruised into T2 feeling pretty good since the last 2 loops were much better than the first 2.

Side note: my nutrition schedule was spot on. I took a GU 10 min in and then a Clif Shot at 60 min. Drank all 24oz of Gatorade I had and about 2/3 of the water.

Get into a steady cadence earlier. Relax a little bit as that probably caused me to be a little spastic on those first 2 loops. More hill training, too.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

No issues here. iBungee shoelaces worked great.

Can always be a little more urgent, but overall I have no complaints about this transistion.
Run
  • 42m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Since I have never run a stand alone 10k I really had no idea what to expect. I had a pace goal based on some of my time trial runs but completely blew that out of the water. I knew I was booking it and was really happy with the end result. I think the cool weather played a big role in my time.

Side note: before the race I really struggled with whether or not to wear the Garmin on the run. I'm glad I didn't. I would've kept with my goal pace of 7:30 and missed out on finding out what I can really do.

Also, my nutrition schedule on the bike was able to sustain me enough so I didn't need anything from the aid stations on the run.

Stick with RPE, forget the Garmin!
Post race
Warm down:

Fluids, light stretching and food. I caught up with the family and found all their good spots so we could cheer Mary on as she cruised into a 2nd place AG finsih for the sprint. Great job, Mary!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More OWS training and more hill training on both the bike and the run.

Event comments:

Great race. Very well organized and very well planned. Challenging course - but fun. Great place for family/friends to cheer you on while you race, too.

Last updated: 2010-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:40 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/20
Overall: 51/260
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: 2 loops of a 750m course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:07:48 | 24 miles | 21.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/20
Overall: 51/260
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: 6 mile looped course. Some hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:43 | 06.21 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 17/260
Course: Out and back, moderate hills - some short, steep ones going in and out of the tunnels under roads. Course is on a running trail weaving along the streets and bike course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-27 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic

2010-09-29 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3120062

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic
awesome race!  you were kickin some tail on the run, nice job.  keep up the good work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed