General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMAZ or IMCDA for First Timer? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-27 4:46 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: IMAZ or IMCDA for First Timer?

This was posted on the Iron Distance Forum, but it seems more folks hang out here, so I'm posting here as well.  Thanks!

Assuming I actually go all the way off the deep end and sign up for an IM in the foreseeable future, I think I have narrowed it down to these two.  Which would you guys suggest for a first-timer, given the following:

1) I am a reasonably slow swimmer, so I can easily see a 2 hour swim split.

2) I can bike decently...average for 112 mi will probably be in the 16-17 range.  But I train in a place where there are NO hills, so add some hills to the course, and my time could suffer

3) My running sucks...completely.  I will likely end up walking at least a decent portion of the course; I'd rather not, but reality is reality.

4) I train in South Texas (right by Mexico, so it is HOT in the summer, which is why Wisconsin seems like a bad idea, because all my long training would be in June and July; thus, IMAZ and CDA seem to be the best choices)

As far as difficulty of the courses, they seem pretty even from the interactive maps, but I haven't actually seen either town, so i have no idea. 

Part of me thinks CDA would be better just because it is supposedly so beautiful, and the race is in the Summer which would make it easier for wife and kiddos to come, but I'm not sure what there is to do there and I don;t want them to be bored silly.  

IMAZ seems like it would be easier to get to, and much cheaper in the long run, plus it seems like crowd support might be better due to the bike course going through town in 2 loops.

So, there are my stats,and the pros and cons as I see them.  Input is now appreciated!

2005-07-27 5:24 PM
in reply to: #209180

Elite Veteran
Subject: RE: IMAZ or IMCDA for First Timer?
I've never seen CDA so take my advice for what it is worth. Isn't CDA hilly? I graduated from ASU and actually went to AZ to watch IMAZ.

If you can train in the winter, and you can, I think IMAZ is the way to go because it has fewer hills.

You have lots of time between now and next April; are you sure your swim time will be 2 hours? Regardless, it is a one loop course with a spread out start so the swim probably wasn't as crazy as it could be at other venues. I also saw several folks who needed to catch their breath just swim to the side of the lake (long and fairly skinny lake) and stand up.

Wow, you are really impressing me with your bravery. I even went and saw an IM and there is no way I can consider that distance, not for a few years, anyway.

ETA that if you go to IMAZ, I'll make sure you have a sign out on the run.

Edited by lynda 2005-07-27 5:25 PM
2005-07-28 12:11 AM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Thank you mucho for the input, and if I end up doing IMAZ, the sign will certainly be welcome...I'll need all the help I can get to make it through a run like that...eek!  Anyone else care to share opinions?
2005-07-28 7:49 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-07-28 8:48 AM

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Aaron, two questions:

1) Would you let me hold onto the flagpole so that you can drag me for 26.2 miles?

2) If the answer to question #1 is no, will you wait three hours for me at the finish after you are done?

Brandt

2005-07-28 10:58 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-07-28 11:36 AM

Elite
San Diego

Brandt,

If you are doing an IM in 2006 I say CDA, Only because that is the one I'm doing and we can finally meet. If you are going to wait until 2007 then Az is the perfect race for you. The bike course has almost no hills unless they add the section through Fountain hills, but even then it is a gradual climb into FH then there is a pretty good little climb after the turn around. Not too hard but you won't be flying up it The problem with Az is the wind. I prerode the course twice and both times the wind was swirling. We had a headwind going out and a tailwind coming back on the first loop, then a tailwind going and headwind coming back on the second loop. But during the race the wind was blowing from the side and was crazy strong.

I don't know how long of a drive it is from the Lone Star State to Tempe, but being able to ride and run the course was the best part for me. If that is an option for you then I would say AZ.

Good luck

Tom

2005-07-28 11:42 AM

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Tom, regardless of which race I do (and which year) it will involve flying out there. From where I live, it is 15 hours or more of driving, just to get out of Texas; not to mention the additional hours from the Texas border to the actual race site.  So, as long as people are giving me pros and cons here, I can ask you the same thing I asked Aaron....will you drag my running-impaired butt for 26.2 miles? And if not, will you wait three hours for me at the finish line.

Brandt

Edited by OldAg92 2005-07-28 11:45 AM
2005-07-28 12:01 PM
in reply to: #209858

Elite
San Diego
OldAg92 - 2005-07-28 9:42 AM

Tom, regardless of which race I do (and which year) it will involve flying out there. From where I live, it is 15 hours or more of driving, just to get out of Texas; not to mention the additional hours from the Texas border to the actual race site.  So, as long as people are giving me pros and cons here, I can ask you the same thing I asked Aaron....will you drag my running-impaired butt for 26.2 miles? And if not, will you wait three hours for me at the finish line.

Brandt

I will have a hard enough time dragging myself across the line but just like in IMAZ this year I will  wait until the last person crosses next year in CDA.

As a side note, hanging out until midnight was the most stressful time of the race. As the the clock was nearing midnight, you can feel the tension as people were waiting for the last few people to cross. Nervously hopeing that they would cross before the 17 hour mark. A few people came across within the last 5 minutes, but the announcer said it would take about 3 min from the time someone gets to the corner of the block until they cross the line. So everyone was stressing as the clock got down to 16:57...:58...:59...:17:00. I was so relieved that there wasn't anyone else on the course, then when I got to my car, I saw a lone guy running down the street, about 10 min. too late. That just broke my heart. I would hate to be that close and have it go down as a DNF

But enough about him, you will be a different story. You will be right there beside me (or Aaron) cheering on the last few people

2005-07-28 12:22 PM
in reply to: #209802

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Wisonsin is about as hot as Texas sometimes but it's the humidity ya gotta woory about.
2005-07-28 12:50 PM

Expert
Texarkana, TX
You've heard me say this before, but my vote for you would be Arizona. Unless, of course, you are dead set on 2006, then sign up for CDA, because that's where I'm gonna be (I hope).

And BTW, it's not the heat/humidity on race day in Wisconsin, it's the volume of training that must be done through the excruciatingly hot summer in South Texas to prepare for the September race date. Arizona, which is in April, provides an exceedingly better training climate for Brandt.

2005-07-28 2:50 PM
in reply to: #209882

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
madcow - 2005-07-28 10:01 AM

...:17:00. I was so relieved that there wasn't anyone else on the course, then when I got to my car, I saw a lone guy running down the street, about 10 min. too late. That just broke my heart. I would hate to be that close and have it go down as a DNF

But enough about him, you will be a different story. You will be right there beside me (or Aaron) cheering on the last few people

By the finish of IMAZ I was working at the finish line and was actually teared up as 6 people were allowed to finish (unofficial) past the midnight cut-off time. working security my brother and I made sure the camera man stayed so at least the last 6 got finish line photo's. By the time the last guy came across it was 12:20'ish (3 staffer's from Ironman Northameria ran him in) and most the signs and all the spectators were gone, but he finished.

In 2006 I'll be racing so I hope I'll be cheering on the final finishers once again but this time as a finisher myself.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMAZ or IMCDA for First Timer? Rss Feed