General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling Strategy...? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-11 2:12 PM

Subject: Cycling Strategy...?
Just recently got my first tri-bike (Cervelo P2), and I've been working hard on my cycling recently to get used to the bike and get my avg speed up as much as possible before my next race this coming Sunday...  My first tri I averaged 15.4 on a mtb, recently I have been trying to push my sprints on my tri-bike so that I can maintain 20+ mph for longer runs at a time... Last friday I managed 6 miles at a 21.4 mph which is my best yet, but my avg fell all the way to 17.8 at the end of a 15 mile ride... What I want to know is what is my best strategy on race day to get as much out of the bike and my legs as I can?  It is a 10 mile ride, should I sprint a few miles, then lay off half of a mile or something like that?  Or is it best to go all out the whole time and just see what happens?

2010-10-11 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3145541

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Cycling Strategy...?
It's a sprint I take it?

If so, go hard... the whole time. When it Hurts like hell, you'll know you're at race pace. Slow down when you pass the finish line!

Good luck
2010-10-11 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Given that you're at your limit endorance wise at 15 miles (or probably sooner, given the drop off of average speed), I'd say go hard but not "race hard" for the first half, then dial it up from there.

What Chris said goes if the race distance is well below your endurance limit.
2010-10-11 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Depends on the run length and run course conditions, too.  If it's 2 miles (which is what most 10 mile bike lengths are followed by), you want to be mashing it pretty good on the bike.  Maybe 21.0 mph or so if all things are equal as compared to your last TT.  Race adrenaline is going to get you cranking, too.

Transition time is extremely important in short races as it represents a greater percentage of overall race time.  Practice often.

2010-10-11 2:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
You want to race at a steady exertion, and as close to your threshold as you can manage.  You do not need to know heart rate zones or have a heart rate moitor, power meter, GPS or even a wristwatch to do this.

You need to understand that in laymens terms, your threshold is the point at which if you go beyond you will fall apart rather quickly. 5-8 minutes. If you remain at or just below your threshold you can generally continue for the better part of an hour.

One of the best guides for this is your breathing. Fast and deep but under control is a good sign of threshold level breathing. Fast, wheezy, gasping, unable to speak at all etc, is a good sign that you have exceeded your threshold.   Perceived exertion of 7.5 out of 10 if going off RPE. 

Develop and trust your perceived exertion. It will stay with you always, regardless of what gizmos you own at any point.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling Strategy...? Rss Feed