General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for a Picky Eater? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-29 12:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, CO
Subject: Tips for a Picky Eater?
I eat like crap and find that I hate most things that are good for me. I've branched a lot the last few years, for example, I have found that I like gaucamole and if I basically puree onions, then I can tolerate them buried in other stuff. (Any other way and I spit them out...the texture really bugs me not to mention the taste.) I have also started eating scallops cooked in very specific ways. I'm trying...but...I'd really like to get better at this, as I have found that I am wearing myself down with all the exercise and lots of food that is not-so-nutritious.

Basically I am like a child in my eating habits and I'm wondering a few things:

1. Anyone have experience with this as an adult, and also a success story they can share?
2. Any suggestions for snacks that I can eat? I don't eat many veggies and they have to be cold, crunchy, and covered in ranch or cesar dressing.
3. How can I expand my taste buds and train them to like more food!

Thanks!

2005-08-01 12:24 PM
in reply to: #211017

Subject: RE: Tips for a Picky Eater?
I too, used to eat crap. Really, a lot of it. Tons of junk food/fast food/couldn't cook, ate no veggies/no fruit. My short advice is "practice". It takes time to readjust your palate, and in the meantime, you may not enjoy all your food.

But start small and stick with it. I started to force myself to eat breakfast (which I hated; breakfast used to make me feel quesy, but without it I would feel very low energy), first just half a Luna Bar, then a whole Luna bar, and eventually worked my way up to cereal w/fruit and soymilk. All in all, it took maybe 6 months until I was actually looking forward to eating something in the morning.

For snacking, I picked 1 type of fruit a week, and have it every afternoon. I think bananas are good to start since they aren't messy and don't go bad too quickly. I have found if it is fruit I have to fuss with too much I won't bother to eat it.

I think you are on the right track with burying foods you don't like. When I was transitioning to eating more veggies, I ate a lot of indian curries which I loved and veggie chinese food. Maybe a coconut milk curry isn't the healthiest thing in the world, but it gave me a chance to get used to eating vegetables.

So, practice, but don't try to change too much at one time.

Good luck!
2005-08-01 2:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, CO
Thanks for the advice, great idea about the one fruit per week. That's a really achievable, non-scary goal. I figure this will have to be one tiny baby step at a time, and even the steps themselves may not be that healthy compared to the rest of the world, but an improvement for me is what counts. For example last night I bought avacadoes so I can have gaucamole at work, which I LOVE. (Gaucamole, not work.) And I didn't buy any crappy stuff for my drawers, instead I have bagel chips and these rice cake thigns. Like I said, these are not great foods, but a big step for me. Also I bought two nectarines and a clementine...a BIG deal for me because I NEVER eat fruit! So thank you for the suggestions and good luck to you!

Edited by line 2005-08-01 3:01 PM
2005-08-03 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Bring your own sandwiches for lunch: ditch the lettuce, and put spinach leaves on instead.  You'll never know the difference.
2005-08-04 10:03 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO

I had to train myself to like yogurt...it still can make me gag, but I need the calcium.

Do you like yogurt?  If you aren't too keen on it, try this: Get some of the more dessert-ish yogurt flavors and buy a box of granola, grape nuts or all bran (something crunchy and full of fiber, also good for you!).  Add cereal to yogurt until you can eat it, over time, gradually decrease your cereal (but you can keep it in there, I used a LOT in the beginning) and branch out in  your flavor choices.  Now, I can't even stand those dessert flavored yogurts.  Pretty funny. You could also try putting some berries in your yogurt- blue berries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries.  Try some new things now, when it's peak season for fresh fruits and veggies.

Happy tasting!

Sarah

2005-08-11 10:25 AM

New user
Buy one of those magic bullets or Power Choppers (same thing but not so many gadgets) and make smoothies. They are SOOO good and I use it all the time. It's a great way to get fruit and veggies in your diet. Also a multivitamin like centrum performance helps your nutrition but YOU STILL WILL NEED THE GOOD FOOD. And one other great tip that will cure all you bad cravings for fast food, watch the movie super size me. Great movie, very informational, and once u see all the crap they do to those burgers and fries you'll never want to eat there again.

2005-09-04 9:17 PM
in reply to: #212718

Thats funny what you said about the onions because I am same way and have not heard anyone else complain about the texture..except me. People are always saying that I am picking the little green things out of my food!! My fiance makes these salads and i load em with cheese, sunflower seeds and eggs..then I can tolerate em. I think the smoothies idea is excellent. I am same way about fruits and veggies too. Do you like nuts? Like almonds for instance. They are great thrown into yogurt...good for you too...filling snack. I have to keep practing too because I really want to keep training and improving. Have you read about the abs diet. I like it and it has a lot of good ideas on nutrition in it.
2005-09-05 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mesa AZ

This cracks me up because I am SO picky - drives people nuts.

For me I had to start slow; I like apples, bananas, pears and raspberry flavoring in yogurt, so I started with those things until I was totally sick of them.

I also only like veggies cold and crisp so I had to experiment until I found a dressing and dressing recipe that wasn't as bad for me as others.  That has taken a LONG time.  However I discovered that with a dressing I like I can eat a salad (ok, lettuce, carrots, and either croutons or chow mein noodles with some chicken on top) and be happy.

The trick for me so far has been little changes; by making my own dressing I can make it less horrible.  (I make a chinese-style dressing of fat-free mayo, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sugar and red wine vinegar that is a fraction of the calories most dressings have yet is nice and sweet.)  Fruits I've found way to disguise - puree them into a smoothie or yogurt and all of a sudden it's easier.

(btw, I also hate the texture of things like onions and mushrooms.  Texture sets me off FAR more than taste does, which is again why the blend-ins work so well.)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for a Picky Eater? Rss Feed