General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Need help please!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-23 10:48 PM

Subject: Need help please!!
Hi everyone,

I used to run in high school and would really love to get back into it.  The thing is I am afraid........I am much heavier then I was so my self image is not good and I am fighting Postpartum Depression.  Running, I hope, can help with both of these issues; good for the body and mind!  I have tried to start exercising before and failed; I think in great part because I didn't have anyone going through it at the same time.  My husband supports me, but he is not a runner. 

My idea is that I will try to do the couch to 5k: aggressive program.  I am thinking that I will be able to start it the first week of November.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

2010-10-24 12:07 AM
in reply to: #3168934

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Need help please!!
Schmelzle,

Your experience is not that uncommon.  Maintaining a workout program after the short-lived high of starting out is the toughest part.  You are on the right track getting some motivation in the form of support from this website to keep you going.  I cannot speak for the postpartum part because I am a guy and my wife and I have no children, but as far as the motivation to keep going I have some suggestions.  There are two forums specifically aimed towards those who are working out with the goal of weightloss.  The first is the "tri'ing for weightloss" forum and the other is "Athena and Clydsedale Triathletes".  Both of those forums are great places to go for motivation and tips about using triathlon training to get back into shape.  Hope this helps.  Looking forward to hearing about your progress on any of the forums.  Best of luck to you and welcome to BT!

Edited by mmakaryk 2010-10-24 12:08 AM
2010-10-25 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Welcome to BT. I second the earlier post to really take time to get familiar with the forums and don't be afraid to ask if you don't understand or see how something could apply to you.

I really have used triathlons to keep my mind in a good place. There are plenty of things that can cause doubt along the way but for me, having a goal and taking control of my life by getting out when I don't want to move has been great.

Finally, find some blogs from people that inspire. One of the BT members has a blog that I think is really cool and deals with his journey through some depression and weight loss.

The site is www.bendoeslife.com I don't remember his BT username but there are so many amazing people with great stories.

Again, welcome!
2010-10-25 6:56 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Congrats on the baby and welcome to BT  People here come from all kinds of diffrent starting places...no worries.  Get a plan sign up for a race and have a blast.  Get a jogging stroller and push the baby   With a runningbackground it will comeback to you in a flash!

2010-10-26 11:42 AM

User image

New user
Running will provide allot to your life: wt loss if needed, endrophines that help with the blues, increase in muscle tone, cardio fitness, flexablity, social aspect by meeting new runners from groups runs or races. 

My advice is this should be a personal goal and be selfeish in your pursuit of running. I'm not saying that you don't include your family but you need to make the personal scarfice for yourself to allow time/energy to go out for a run, even if its for only 30 minutes.  A 30 minute run has allot value on your overall day. It may take you months to run a mile, that is fine, because eventually you will get there. Just imagine yourself six months from now, able to run a few miles/schedule is set/diet may change if needed.  Always focus on the future, e.g. next month I will be able to run longer even if today its only one block. Races are good carrots, but my word advice, at least I seen this with my wife, after the race, the running stopped, goal has been met.  What I do is sign up for my next race a month or two before I do my current race....the carrot never stops moving.  good luck..
2010-10-26 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
congrats - posting & thinking about plans are great steps!

my best advice, after losing 65# myself, is to set goals that are small & realistic enough to achieve them. I give you credit for the couch to 5K plan, bc I don't think I could've stuck with that until I'd really increased my level of fitness. I started slow - just with Jenny Craig for weightloss - then adding replacing diet coke w/ water, then working out on the wii once a week, then twice, then 3x, then pilates class, then added cardio classes, then swimming, etc.... for me at least, I knew that I needed to start off small enough that I could realistically acheive my goals, stick with it, and not be discouraged. I know others who've been successful jumping straight into a good run training program, so you have to do what will work best for you. JC worked for me bc that allowed me to just not think about eating / what to cook / portion control, and instead focus my planning energies on the exercising, but I know that others chafe under that kind of restricted plan. Biggest challenge I've had is plateauing with 10-15# left to lose...with my level of activity what it is at this point, my appetite's just too big, and I've struggled to lose more. So, have let the diet go for the last month (tho haven't gone crazy food-wise), hoping to jump-start it again in another week or 2, and I still feel pretty good about where I am now.

So, keep asking questions, but ultimately trust your gut to know what works best for you.
good luck - and keep posting!

2010-10-26 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma
I have had to put fitness as the third priority in my life closely behind work. My family is of course my first priority, but it can get muddled. I'm not missing a work out for my BIL's Bday party, I often eat different foods at different times that don't always sync with family dinner time. The hardest thing for me is keeping up my motivation.
2010-10-26 4:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Welcome to BT. You are in the right place as there is a lot of motivation here. I think someone said it already, but I bet it will come back to you quickly.  When I started in June I signed up for an oly tri and was terrified I'd fail, DNF, etc. I read a lot here for motivation and just trained. A friend of mine told me "you can't win until you're not afraid to lose". For me, winning meant finishing. I acted as if I wasn't afraid to lose...and I didn't lose   The confidence for that came.

You mentioned you've started workout programs and then stopped them later....but you're here and starting again. That's not a failure because you haven't given up...in my opinion. Welcome!

Edited by syscrash 2010-10-26 4:54 PM
2010-11-04 11:49 PM
in reply to: #3173765

Welcome to the world of Tri! I just recently joined and am working towards a Sprint next spring and maybe an Olympic distance before the end of the season. 310 was my WAKE UP!!! weight. I've lost 43lbs so far and some days have to drag myself to the gym. Only some days tho. 'Gym rat' was my past.  Running will come back like riding a bike. If it was fun 'back then', it'll be fun to find yourself 'back then' again...with little one for company this time. As for 'diet'...think 'way of eating' instead. Check out 'Eating for your blood type' on line. I like it because it's not a 'diet'. Motivation? Google 'Bree Wee'- single mom/pro triathlete...she logged serious miles with a running stroller!   Can't speak to post-partum depression but it's already been said: endorphins are great! They helped my wife a great deal!

Good luck, use your support at home, and here at BT! (maybe you can MAKE hubby a runner Wink)

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Need help please!! Rss Feed