General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 24 hour inadequecy....err fitness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-11-01 7:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: 24 hour inadequecy....err fitness
Hi all,
Warning, this is going to be a semi-rant. This morning I show up again and of course the pool is full. 2 people in each lane with others waiting. I went home. This is the 2nd time it's happened to me. A couple months ago I show up early Saturday morning only to find out the pool is being cleaned, but a sign says I can go to the other club nearby. I show up there and guess what? Their pool is being cleaned and has a sign directing me to the first club.  I'm there almost every day so I am certain there was no advance notice. Ok, today I could have got out of bed earlier, so it's somewhat my fault. Still I'd expect a "super sport" to have more than three lanes. That's the same amount of lanes any other one of their clubs has. Many other clubs will have a few dedicated lap lanes, but then rope off their pool in the early am to add additional lanes.

Second issue...I'm not certain how long the pool even is. I would like to assume it's 25M, but there's no sign anywhere and so far I can't find an employee who knows. I also seem to always the just a few seconds faster in it than anywhere else. I overheard a couple of swimmers as they came in this weekend. One said to the other, "just pretend it's 25". After seeing them swim they definitely have been around pools a good while.  I'm going to bring a tape measure and find out how long it is.

Locker room design...wtf were they thinking? The space is big and it even looks nice. It only takes about 4 people to fill it up because of the way they laid out the lockers.

Anyway, rant off. If anyone out there is looking for a gym and considering 24 hour, I highly suggest anything else. Personally, I'm dropping this membership as soon as the Lifetime a mile away opens.  I'm already a member of Lifetime also and I love the one in Parker, it's just further than I want to drive in the morning. The new one though is maybe a mile from home. I can't wait to switch....

On a serious note, has anyone measured that pool?

2010-11-01 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3188111

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Subject: RE: 24 hour inadequecy....err fitness
The pools should be a standard 25 yards.  I swam in the Highlands Ranch Sport one a few weeks ago and it did feel a bit short compared to the pool (in Houston) that I usually train at.
2010-11-01 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Littleton, Colorado
Since I joined 24 earlier this year I have just been singing their praises.  Yes my pool is only 2 lanes, but looking at my times I'm assuming it's a full 25 yrds.
The thing I like most about it is the cost.  I have co-workers that are spending $140/mo for some places around here for what it sounds like is just a 24 with a few more group classes, and free towels in the locker room.
I am planning on moving to Highlands Ranch in the next couple of months which as part of the HOA dues is a gym membership to their rec centers. 
2010-11-01 4:22 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Personally, I left 24 Hour for the Louisville Rec Center.  While I don't swim much these days when I do I don't have a problem getting in.  They have fewer treadmills but they have an indoor track so it doesn't matter.  Personally I prefer the track anyhow.  The whole place is cleaner than any of the 24 Hours that I used.  And I don't feel like I'm at a meat market either.  People at the rec center are there for their workout and nothing more.  I also don't have any personal trainers giving me the once over as if I couldn't know what I'm doing with my training. 
2010-11-01 4:48 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
My 2 cents... I have a free membership for 6 months because of some class-action lawsuit.  I've been using the one on Lincoln @ Meridian.  I think for the $ it's pretty decent- and that's assuming you're paying $25/month.  I am a member @ Colorado Athletic Club, and I pay $98/ month for my membership there.  There's a ton of differences, most notably the towel service, toiletries, and just an "executive" atmosphere.  Overall though I think 24 hr doesn't do a bad job at all.

I know what you mean about the pool situation.  But consider that you get what you pay for! 
2010-11-01 6:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
You know that's a good point that you get what you pay for. I guess I'm just becoming a gym snob. I've been happy overall with 24 for a long time. While I'm not crazy about everything there, the price is tough to beat especially if you've been with them for a long time. I keep comparing it to Lifetime, but Lifetime will be costing me a lot more...that is a family membership that my wife uses so we need it to be somewhere with child care she likes and is convenient, etc. The childcare there is "free" (read: rolled into the monthly cost).

At the end of the day I feel better looking at it like that. I do see myself going to Lifetime 95% of the time once the new one opens, but I'll likely not completely cancel my 24 membership.

I'm still concerned about the super sport pool. I'm going to measure it. When I do I'll post results here

2010-11-01 10:04 PM

User image

We made the switch from 24-hour to the Westminster Lifetime Fitness in Nov. 2008 and we haven't looked back. Yes, it is a bit more expensive at $55/month for each of us, but the price is worth it. I recently had surgery on my ankle and many of the trainers at Lifetime have helped me figure out what I can and can't do while working out at no charge. This never happened at 24-hour fitness.

The pool is very clean and rarely do I have to wait a lane. We also love the outdoor pool in the summer. The lap pool is 25 meters and the open lanes in the leisure pool are 23 meters.

There are tons of activities for the kids. They also do a summer camp at the club for the kids with each week centered on a different activity. Swimming lessons are also offered for an additional fee. We don't have kids but our friends love the daycare and the activities.

The new Centennial club opens in December I believe. Unfortunately for me, my trainer will be moving to the new club. Lucky for those at the new location.

By the way, I blame Lifetime Fitness for my  triathlon addiction. They have an indoor tri in the spring and that is all it took to get me hooked.

2010-11-02 2:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
I belong to the 24hr. fitness on Hampden and I actually really like it! The pool there is 25meters though, so don't always assume they're 25yards! Anyways, yes the pool is busy, but to me, that's to be expected. I actually get to the pool at 4:30AM in order to swim by myself. However, sometimes I end up sharing a lane anyways b/c some days are busier than others. I know sharing a lane sucks, but it's not that bad if you can work something out with the person you're swimming with. For example, when I share a lane, we just choose one side to swim on. That way, there's no "tapping" the person's foot in front of you, or waiting for them at the wall. It works out pretty good!
2010-11-03 5:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO
I usually swim at Parker and Quincy or Tiffany Plaza. Tiffany Plaza is by far the cleaner/ nicer of the two but my biggest complaint is the floor in the locker rooms. I just wish they would change the mop water at least once while they mop.

I don't usually have to wait much, unless I forget to check on the water aerobics (geriatric olympics).
2010-11-04 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Local rec center for me.  I spent a lot of time at many of the clubs in the Metro Area (past career 15 years ago).  24 hour is a weight training club.  Period.  Yes, they have a pool but that is not their focus.  CAC was a raquet club.  But they do have nice facilities.  Very expensive.  Lifetime Fitness - Focus on overall experience (has masters swimming, so aquatics is important).  Local Rec Centers - Many child and older population classes, incorporates swim lessons for the kids and aqua fitness classes for older people.  Some even have swim teams.  Good place for swimming.

Oh and I also picked up a punch pass for Denver University Pool.  By far the best pool around.  25 meters or 50 meters depending on the time of day.  Clean, open early, and never crowded.

2010-11-04 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3194422

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
What does that DU punch card cost?  I work right near there and love those collegiate pools!
velocomp - 2010-11-04 6:42 AM

Local rec center for me.  I spent a lot of time at many of the clubs in the Metro Area (past career 15 years ago).  24 hour is a weight training club.  Period.  Yes, they have a pool but that is not their focus.  CAC was a raquet club.  But they do have nice facilities.  Very expensive.  Lifetime Fitness - Focus on overall experience (has masters swimming, so aquatics is important).  Local Rec Centers - Many child and older population classes, incorporates swim lessons for the kids and aqua fitness classes for older people.  Some even have swim teams.  Good place for swimming.

Oh and I also picked up a punch pass for Denver University Pool.  By far the best pool around.  25 meters or 50 meters depending on the time of day.  Clean, open early, and never crowded.

2010-11-05 11:19 AM

User image

New user
Another Rec center swimmer here.  We have six lanes and this morning at 6am we had three lanes of 2 swimmers, 1 lane of 3, and 2 lanes of 4.  What's funny is the serious swimmers are the ones that are 4 to a lane.  They all go fast and are used to circle swimming, they all know the right order and have no problem going 4 or 5 deep.  I've never had a problem sharing a lane and everyone is chill and just there to get their workout in.

Cracks me up when we get complaints because someone doesn't get their own lane.  One guy complained to our city because a local youth team was using 4 of the 6 lanes and he had to double up.  The youth team is usually 7-10 to a lane.
2010-11-05 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
I'm always amused when the swimmer:lane ratio goes beyond 1:1 how people deal with it.  At my pools (HR rec centers) a lot of folks will just sit and wait until a lane empties; if I'm already turning laps, I'll move to one side and gesture at a stopping point that the space is open.  If I'm the next one in, I'll ask a single swimmer if they have a preference betweeen splitting sides or circle swim; if there's two splitting a lane already, I'll just say "looks like its time for circle swim" as I'm getting in. 
I also use the not-so-subtle signs, like piling all my gear on deck near one side of a lane, and hopping into the right corner of the lane to further establish my presence.  After that, if folks choose to ignore the next step of the 'waving hand' trying to get their attention, I'll start swimming with 'defensive driving' techniques, that usually drives the point home that there aren't exclusive lane privileges during open swim Wink
2010-11-05 1:21 PM

User image

Centennial CO
I had a lady not want to share when there was 3 people to a lane except hers.  Her reasoning being that she was in the lane next to the wallSmile   Not sure what that had to do with anything but I just started swimming in her lane anyway.
2010-11-05 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3194822

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

mcgilmartin - 2010-11-04 9:19 AM What does that DU punch card cost?  I work right near there and love those collegiate pools!
velocomp - 2010-11-04 6:42 AM

I'm not sure.  My wife got the pass for me and she is an Alumni so she get's a cheaper rate.  It was something like $75/10 punches or something like that.  Not cheap, but I only go maybe once a week to the big pool.  I feel that the 50 meter pool is more like open water than the 25 meter pool.  It is fun..

2010-11-05 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3197398

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
I found their pool membership info here.  I'd love to have access to a 50m pool on a regular basis, but can't justify the additional fees since we already pay HRCA and DU's hours aren't any better...
If I ever win the lottery, I plan to build a long course facility in Douglas County Cool

2010-11-06 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
24HR has always been pretty hit or miss for me here in Parker.   Most of the time there is a lane free and i have no problem having a lane to myself.  

However, when the lanes are full, it's an issue getting someone to share.   I try at all costs to give the suttle hints like STmass mentioned, ie: putting my stuff by the lane, stretching by the lane, putting my feet in, etc.   But there are alot of idiots who have no sense of public lane swimming etiquette and i've gotten into it more than once with people.

The worse by far is the lady who likes to do laps with a towel on her head and gets mad when someone is next to her.   We've had words a couple times and now if i see she is there, i intentionally get either in her lane or as close as i can.   She immediately leaves when she sees me coming now    I hate being a jerk, but if you expect to get in a public lap pool with a towel on your head and be ugly and rude with people, expect someone to be ugly in return.

But next spring i'm considering going with the Parker Rec.   I'm about done with 24HR myself.   Gonna miss towel lady though.   I'm actually amazed she can do as many laps as she does with her head completely out of water and turning side to side with each stroke.
2010-11-06 1:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
I don't mind sharing a lane and often do. Most people seem to just split. When there gets to be more however I run into issues because I'm just_so_slow.
2010-11-08 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3198212

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
xmann1102 - 2010-11-06 6:56 AM 24HR has always been pretty hit or miss for me here in Parker.   Most of the time there is a lane free and i have no problem having a lane to myself.  

However, when the lanes are full, it's an issue getting someone to share.   I try at all costs to give the suttle hints like STmass mentioned, ie: putting my stuff by the lane, stretching by the lane, putting my feet in, etc.   But there are alot of idiots who have no sense of public lane swimming etiquette and i've gotten into it more than once with people.

The worse by far is the lady who likes to do laps with a towel on her head and gets mad when someone is next to her.   We've had words a couple times and now if i see she is there, i intentionally get either in her lane or as close as i can.   She immediately leaves when she sees me coming now    I hate being a jerk, but if you expect to get in a public lap pool with a towel on your head and be ugly and rude with people, expect someone to be ugly in return.

But next spring i'm considering going with the Parker Rec.   I'm about done with 24HR myself.   Gonna miss towel lady though.   I'm actually amazed she can do as many laps as she does with her head completely out of water and turning side to side with each stroke.

I can't wait to see this one when I'm there!  I used to swim @ CAC-Inverness but I got so sick of the water aerobics ladies whining about how my kicking water would get their hair wet!  I've generally been pretty lucky @ 24 Hr thus far, it's easily better than the Castle Rock Rec Center.  Unfortunately though I don't think at least half of people that swim @ health clubs have a clue about the etiquette thing.  Steve summed it up nicely, though.   
2010-11-09 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
The 24Hour Pools I've been in were 25meters. Since I grew up with 25yards and have the strokes for it down pat I always know right away.
I have seen some bad locker-room layouts, but the last 2 years I paid a $199 lump sum for the whole year. So for $16.59 a month my All-Sport is a great value. Besides with 2 Kids 3 and under I need those hours before 5am and after 9:30.
2010-11-09 11:01 PM

User image

Colorado

I've been going to 24 Hour Fitness on and off for about 6 years now.  I use the Lakewood, Arvada, Broomfield and Boulder clubs...that is what I like the most about being a member is that there is one close to work, one close to where I like to ride my bike (good place to shower and do strength training afterwards) and two near home.  Of the four, Boulder is the cleanest, Arvada has the best jets in the hot tub...but is dirtiest, and Lakewood keeps the women's locker room way too hot and humid.  You just can't dry off.  Broomfield is the one I'm least likely to get a lane in the pool at.  That's my opinion of the four...I do have to say Forza is my favorite place to work out in Denver, but not conveniently located for me so I just pay the $20 for the day and go on a weekend day if I'm feeling like a gym snob

2010-11-10 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Denver Area

Oh please oh please someone measure those pools!  Not one person I asked at any club could tell me for certain, how long their pool was.

I have been to the Arvada club, hated their pool, made my eyes sting terribly and skin went crackley, but that was a whilel ago now.

Just spent 2 years up at Broomfield Sport, training for HIM '09, never had an issue with the pool, well maintained, generally clean, and my daughter really enjoyed their childcare.

Spent the first year in Denver frequenting the Alameda Sport club training for my first Oly, it was great then...but when I visited again, +2 years later, it has undergone some serious wear and tear, felt really dirty, tiles missing, etc.

And now, we're in Lakewood, but I haven't been to the gym yet 1. no babies under 6 months, 2. been really ill, 3. moving is stressful and I haven't forced the issue.

Broomfield has great facilities at Paul Derda Rec, but their pool is HOT, special for the very old and very young. I swam there almost entire pregnancy, it was nice, I kept chilly water nearby to keep cool.  And at a rec center a very pregnant woman is less likely to draw stares.

2010-11-11 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3203968

User image

Veteran
Denver
I use the Arvada 24hr Fitness 95% of the time.  My only complaint is the "Aqua" class @9:30am on Mo, We, Fr, & Sa.
Those old ladies are the 100% inconsiderate. This was a few months ago & I've been taking a break for the last 4 wks, but..............

the class starts at 9:30, but 10+ old ladies pile into the pool aroun 9:10. I don't have a problem with that, as long as they do their "warm up" & respect the lap swimmers. BUT, they insist on taking down the lane dividers & spreading out all over the pool. then I get the big 'ol stink eye when I continue to do my laps until 9:29:45. I did complain to the Manager of that particular 24Hr, & he was totally understanding. After that, the old ladies wouldn't even step foot into the pool area until 9:25.  when I get back into the pool next week, I hope they haven't regressed back to their old ways.

Other than that, I have no complaints about 24Hr. I only do my swimming there, because daycare cost $3/per day or $20/month. My other gym membership is $10/month & free daycare (no pool there).  I've been thothe 24Hr @ 120th/Sheridan and Alameda/Colo Blvd. I'm not sure of the length of any of the pools, but Arvada seems shorter than the other two.  The entire pool/spa area @ Alameda & 120th/Sheridan is long & narrow, while the same area @ Arvada is wider. So I'm not sure if Arvada is truly shorter, or if the pool being in a more narrow space is an optical illusion.
I'll take my 100ft tape measure in next week & find out how long Arvada is.

Edited by Dino019 2010-11-11 3:13 PM
2011-01-26 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3206994

User image

Veteran
Denver
I finally remembered to take the measuring tape to the pool @ the 24Hr in Arvada.

It's 64ft long. So only 21yd +1ft
2011-01-26 2:39 PM

User image

Denver
Anyone train/swim at the one off Colorado/Alameda?? Im about to move to Denver and this one looks to be about 4 miles from where I'll be living. Just curious!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 24 hour inadequecy....err fitness Rss Feed  

of 2