Danskin
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 41s
Overall Rank = 782/1747
Age Group = mixed
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal (homemade muesli, actually) 3 hours before race with coffee, followed by plenty of water to hydrate pre race. Set up bike and transition area and cheered for all the first starters.
Swim
  • 19m 22s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was delighted to be finished with the swim, because as I suspected I became a bit claustrophobic if that can be said of water sports. Just having so many bodies moving all around me was freaky. How do you train for that? I did my best, and that is what I came to do.
What would you do differently?:

I would train more visuallization for my swim in the future, so the circumstances wouldn't affect me much.
Transition 1
  • 06m 49s
Comments:

Not bad for my first t-stop. I was really glad I had yankz because it took time to wash my feet and get them into socks, but slipping on shoes was a breeze. The time I wasted was in looking over everything to make sure I had done it all!

Not read quite so many chapters in tri-books on transition. It really isn't a big deal!
Bike
  • 44m 20s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I was very nervous about the bike course, and thought I hadn't trained enough, but it turns out that I really did. The hard work really paid off on the hills. I was so psyched to be able to stay on my bike 100% when lots of folks walked.

Catch up to bikini girl!
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Nice quick transition. Again, I wondered if I needed to do more, but I trusted myself this time.

Straight water on the bike instead of half water/gatorade. I am used to pure water on the bike and I didn't like having the sugar when I was that thirsty.
Run
  • 27m 18s
  • 2.8 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Horse to the barn! (inside joke) I just felt awesome. I was not about to walk one step - I wanted a strong finish and running was one thing I never worried about. It was like a 3 mile victory lap for me personally.

Nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged my family and friends and grabbed tons of water right away. Danskin is such a family triathlon, and I'm so glad this one was my first. So much positive feedback from staff all along the route and it was altogether awesome. About two hours post race, I crashed and needed a meal beyond the fruit and granola I had right after the race. Thought I was going to pass out, but I ate and was fine.

What a rush!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fear and nerves. But by the bike, I was really mastering them.

Event comments:

This is hands down the most I have ever expected and gained from myself. I will never forget what it feels like to exceed my own expectations - and be more than I thought I was.

Last updated: 2005-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:22 | 820 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 1418/1747
Performance: Average
Suit: two piece pearl izumi top and tri shorts
Course: Triangular set up, very well marked, and like all Danskin events, there were tons of 'swim angels'. Thankfully I made it without their help, except when I needed to be told not to swim too wide of the course. Very disorienting, swimming so close to so many people. I did about every different stroke I know at one point or another!
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:20 | 12 miles | 16.24 mile/hr
Overall: 472/1747
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty hilly course. I knew from driving it that the worst hills were in succession at mile 4, and I trained hills in prep. I did great, and when those hills were over I didn't believe that was all - I kept thinking, that can't be all of them! Beyond that, I paced with fast people, passed a lot and definitely did my fastest personal mph average ever today.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:18 | 02.8 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Overall: 786/1747
Course: Nice loop through a beachy neighborhood full of nice families who were outside cheering. It was awesome.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-31 7:34 PM

User image

Subject: Danskin--Webster, Massachusetts

2005-07-31 8:18 PM
in reply to: #212242

Champion
Subject: RE: Danskin--Webster, Massachusetts
Congrats on a good race Lynne...AND on becoming a TRIATHLETE! I have a picture of you too if you'd like it, just send me a private message with an email address and I'd be happy to send you a copy.
2005-07-31 9:55 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
You rock! I love your positive attitude! I hope this is not the end of your Tri career!

2005-08-01 7:51 AM

User image

Thanks, I hope not also! I had so many people asking me beforehand if I would continue to do races, and I was too afraid to answer. But as of today, I can totally see doing it again. My daughters want to do it with me now! That could be too amazing to dream, and so I think I'll dream it anyway!

Thanks for reading my report.

Lynne
2005-08-01 6:14 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Hey MG, sorry I missed you too. You sound like you had a great time! I agree with you about transitions - I kept thinking I must have forgotten something because it seemed too easy! Congratulations triathlete!!!

Amy
2005-08-12 8:52 AM

Extreme Veteran
Congrats on the race, MG! It sounds like you did really well! I am so excited for you. I enjoyed your report - thanks for sharing!

My race is a week from tomorrow and I almost just wish it were tomorrow so I could get on with it - the nerves are getting to me!

2005-08-12 2:58 PM

User image

Regular
Good ole' Central Maine

Nice job Mountain Girl - I was there too and it was my second tri ever....a great start to our "tri-careers"!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin--Webster, Massachusetts Rss Feed