General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in Cold/Colder Weather Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-02 10:37 AM

Subject: Running in Cold/Colder Weather
Hey Kids -

I used to hate running, now I just don't care for it.  I still can't run on a treadmill due to my inability to not look at the mileage/time regardless of attempted distractions, so it looks like outside is what I need to do. I used a hoody and sometimes gloves this spring since it was still cold (with shorts), but I was wondering what clothing to wear when shorts aren't an option. My warm up nylon pullovers seem like they are a poor choice, but I don't know.

I still dislike running so I'd prefer to do something less expensive but are those tights and whatever tops the way to go? 

2010-11-02 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3190644

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Running in Cold/Colder Weather
Depends on what you are comfortable in.

I have done lots of miles in *gasp* cotton sweatpants. I have tights, they help a little bit. Of course, I will run most of the winter in shorts.

I would say if you're comfortable running in sweatpants or warmup pants, then do that.
2010-11-02 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
I'm a big fan of UA Coldgear.  It is a little pricey, but worth it!  It allows you to cut down on the layers and stay warm.  I wear tights (yes with shorts over them) compression top, pullover, neck gait, hat and gloves (All UA Coldgear) and I'm good to go.  I've run in that setup in temps down to single digits.
2010-11-02 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
For me it's either HTFU and go with shorts or use a pair of running tights.  But I really don't care for tights, so unless it's getting rediculously close to zero degrees, I'll opt for shorts and pat myself on the back afterward for sucking it up. 
2010-11-02 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3190660

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I have found that my running tights were a great investment.  For a pair of inexpensive Reebok tights (I think $40?) I use them for all runs under 50 degrees AND I use them over cycling shorts for colder bike rides.  I think they are extremely comfortable and practical.  They don't sag or get wet on the bottom and wear wonderfully through all conditions.  I have even rolled them up when the day got warmer than anticipated.  They have lasted through a number of gross, wet, gritty bike rides and x-country runs.  They actually make my runs MORE fun because I like wearing them so much.  So yeah, I'd go for the tights.

There are many inexpensive technical shirts on the market.  My husband buys them from Target and I have gotten them at Old Navy (the have womens, not sure about mens).

Totally worth a few base layers like that.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-11-02 10:49 AM
2010-11-02 11:30 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
I use running capris in temps about 30-50.  With that will be a long sleeve tech shirt, tech hoodie or short sleeves depending on temp and gloves.  Below 30 I go to tights.  I prefer multiple lightweight layers when it's colder than 30 because I heat up quickly and like to be able to adjust.  I also use a lightweight ear band around 30 degrees. 

2010-11-02 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Really, your clothing choices and layers depend on where you are and just how cold and mushy it gets.  Definitely try out a few things - your body warms up alot.

Each winter i've run I've worn tights.  Loose pant legs just drag in the snow and that's not pleasant. I've invested in some 'winter weight' socks which are fantastic.  But for tops I have a variety but tend to layer a couple of long sleeve tech shirts and a nylon jacket.  In the dead of winter I'll add a fleece, a hat and gloves, and occassionally windbreaker pants (but i just got the tights with the fleece lining so i am pretty excited about that!).  Oh and i have neck warmer that's good on windy days.

People in even colder parts will use face masks. But it's not generally that cold here.
2010-11-02 12:49 PM

I'm in Chicago here -

I used to have a pair of sweatpants that would have been trim enough to run in but they are no longer around. My warm up pants simply are too bulky and too low to the ground for me to run in them; I'll constantly be stepping on them.  In the 40s I can do a hoody and a sweatshirt, but the 40s won't last for long, so I was looking for more versatile gear. I know I need gloves since my hands get cold easy.  I've done mid/upper 40s in cotton t and hoody so far and I'm hot when I finish up. 
2010-11-02 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3191015

User image

Lafayette, CO
By hoodie do you mean a sweatshirt weight hoodie?  If so it's no wonder you were hot.  Generally you should start out feeling a bit chilled because you will warm up quickly.  My new favorite hoodie is a North Face Impulse 1/2 zip hoodie. 
2010-11-02 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
I had never thought I would be caught dead in running tights until I purchased a pair that was on clearance (Zoot).  To me now I will not be caught dead out in cold weather without them on.  I think the compression they provide is another benefit besides the warmth that helps aid me in recovery.  They do not sag, seem to wick moisture well, and overall just feel pretty good.  I have since bought 2 other pairs.
2010-11-02 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
When it's really cold I've found that wearing the same gear as an XC skier wears is pretty good. Not what someone who just shuffles along wears, but the kind a racer wears.

2010-11-02 1:58 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
I dont' see the need to be uncomfortable, even when the temps drop pretty low. 

I like tighter pants, so I'll wear tights if it's cold and then put on a tighter pair of warmups or sweatpants over the tights if it gets really cold.

I wear an UA type compression top with either a long sleeve Tshirt or a windbreaker over it. 

Running gloves if it's just a little cold and running mittens if it's really cold.  The mittens make a huge difference. 

Also a fleece winter hat that covers the head/ears.

Other than that I strap on a blinking light on my front and back and go run!
2010-11-02 2:05 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Where are you located?  Does the temp drop below 50 deg. F?  Below 32 deg. F?  Below 0 deg. F?

First, work on getting motivated.  Next, make sure you have the proper pair of shoes (are the ones you are running in now getting old?).

Being from 'Sconnie myself, when the weather starts getting colder, I'm okay with wearing either:
A). a pair cotton sweatpants, purchased from Wal-Mart.
B). a pair of poly-propylene running pants (more expensive).
C). a pair of cotton "long johns" under a pair of cotton sweatpants when it gets colder.
D). a pair of heavier inner-lined nylon sweat pants when it's colder.
E). a pair of wick-type x-country ski pants when getting really cold.

I include a cotton winter hat, and baklava sometimes (especially when temps drop below 30 deg. F.
I always wear "breathable" gloves, and have a pair of something similar to these -
http://images.jensonusa.com/large/gl/gl302a06blr_med.jpg

2010-11-02 3:47 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I have asics thermopolis tights (the ligghter weight version) http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageWRA-AWTHLTT.html.I wear those most of the time when the weather is below 30. With a pair of compression shorts under them, they are good well into the negative digits.

If it's windy, or if I'm cycling, and it's super cold, I also have a pair of fleece tights.

What kind of temps are you talking about?
2010-11-02 4:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, TX
I hate being cold (and I have lived places where it does get really cold).  I find that covering up my neck helps a lot.  Fleece neck gators tend to be too much if I am really working out but a turtleneck is great.  Something wicking like a good long under top.
And my ears start to hurt even when it itsn't that cold so the hat or head band is a must for me.
I've bought sport tops at Target.  Another favorite is the sale section on Campmor.com
Ellen
2010-11-02 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3191683

User image

Champion
on the lighter and midweight tights if you want stuff cheap check out a dance supplier for the tights. lots of options/colors/weights up to midweight stuff.

for real thermal/very cold gear you'll need to get a bit more specialized.

tops anything from race shirts, long sleeve tech shirts, compression shirts, etc.

again for cheap ones check out something like target branded tech/compression shirts. works the same as UA stuff but at a 3rd of the cost.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in Cold/Colder Weather Rss Feed