General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter Maintenance Plan and HR Zones Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-03 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: Winter Maintenance Plan and HR Zones

Took the LT test for Jorge's winter maintenance plan on Monday (after not having seriously cycled in a while), and averaged 16.7 at 170hr.  I was upset about how slow I went because I know I can average 18+ in races, but that's beside the point.  The biggest issue is my hr. 

Today (Day 2, Week 1), to be between 85-90% from my LT test, I was supposed to be between 144-150hr, but I was only pushing about 14mph, and it felt way too easy.  During the 5 minute rests, I was at 9-10mph to hit the goal hr. 

This is my first time really training by hr, usually I just estimated by the effort I felt I was putting forth (if the plan said 85-90% last year, I would have just stayed at between 16-17mph, and at 100-105%, I'd push at around 18-19mph). 

I guess it's all very disheartening for me because I know I'm capable of going faster than this, but my hr won't cooperate while staying within what the plan says! 

Anyway, the question really is, should it feel that easy?  Or do you think I should retake my test? 

Or what else is there that I need to know?

Thanks all in advance!

2010-11-03 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3193430

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: Winter Maintenance Plan and HR Zones
Are you doing this on a trainer or on the road?

A good test is vital to setting your training zones.  If you don't feel the test was an accurate representation of your fitness, it's okay to do it again and start over. 

I'm not doing Jorge's winter plan, but he is my coach and I don't think his bike workouts are ever supposed to feel easy!!!  Some parts will feel easy, but the hard efforts should feel hard. 
2010-11-03 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
I am not doing Jorge's winter maintenance plan either, but this is part of the problem with using HR instead of using power.  There are too many variables that can impact your HR.  Your HR for your test could have been off or Day 2 could be off.  If you are outdoors, there are other variables also (temp, humidity, wind, hills, etc).  It may help to also use RPE to help gauge your effort.

Its also possible that your zones are not correct based on your current fitness level - did you go all out for your LT Test?  Could you have gone faster? 

But you also mentioned that you haven't seriously cycled in a while so maybe your cycling fitness is not where you think it is. 
2010-11-03 4:58 PM
in reply to: #3193493

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
AndrewMT - 2010-11-03 2:02 PM Are you doing this on a trainer or on the road?

A good test is vital to setting your training zones.  If you don't feel the test was an accurate representation of your fitness, it's okay to do it again and start over. 

I'm not doing Jorge's winter plan, but he is my coach and I don't think his bike workouts are ever supposed to feel easy!!!  Some parts will feel easy, but the hard efforts should feel hard. 

Unfortunately, all my workouts will be on my trainer.  But that is how I feel, that these sets at 85-90% should at least be semi-difficult.  This morning was like a joy ride!  When I estimated by mph, I felt like it was much more of a workout.
2010-11-03 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3193806

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
SoccerGK - 2010-11-03 4:58 PM
AndrewMT - 2010-11-03 2:02 PM Are you doing this on a trainer or on the road?

Unfortunately, all my workouts will be on my trainer.  But that is how I feel, that these sets at 85-90% should at least be semi-difficult.  This morning was like a joy ride!  When I estimated by mph, I felt like it was much more of a workout.

The reason I asked about the trainer is that speed is completely irrelevant on the trainer.  For an normal outdoor ride I'll average anywhere from 19-22mph but on the trainer that's usually around 16-17mph.  I'm doing the same amount of work, but the resistance on the trainer is different on the road, so the speed reading is different.  You should completely ignore speed when on the trainer. 
2010-11-03 5:07 PM
in reply to: #3193576

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
mjengstrom - 2010-11-03 2:51 PM I am not doing Jorge's winter maintenance plan either, but this is part of the problem with using HR instead of using power.  There are too many variables that can impact your HR.  Your HR for your test could have been off or Day 2 could be off.  If you are outdoors, there are other variables also (temp, humidity, wind, hills, etc).  It may help to also use RPE to help gauge your effort.

Its also possible that your zones are not correct based on your current fitness level - did you go all out for your LT Test?  Could you have gone faster? 

But you also mentioned that you haven't seriously cycled in a while so maybe your cycling fitness is not where you think it is. 

I DID go all out for my LT test.  By the time the 30 minutes were up, I was beat.  I may try to redo it, or just estimate my mph for the next few weeks until the next LT test. 

And even though I haven't been cycling lately, and even if the 16.7mph is a good representation, I still feel like I should be going faster than 14mph if it seems too easy.  Maybe?

2010-11-03 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3193822

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
SoccerGK - 2010-11-03 5:07 PM
mjengstrom - 2010-11-03 2:51 PM I am not doing Jorge's winter maintenance plan either, but this is part of the problem with using HR instead of using power.  There are too many variables that can impact your HR.  Your HR for your test could have been off or Day 2 could be off.  If you are outdoors, there are other variables also (temp, humidity, wind, hills, etc).  It may help to also use RPE to help gauge your effort.

I DID go all out for my LT test.  By the time the 30 minutes were up, I was beat.  I may try to redo it, or just estimate my mph for the next few weeks until the next LT test. 

And even though I haven't been cycling lately, and even if the 16.7mph is a good representation, I still feel like I should be going faster than 14mph if it seems too easy.  Maybe?

1. forget about speed on the trainer unless you are proactive at setting your trainer in a way that is the same every time and are trying to use the power curve of trainers like the Kurt Kinetic. If not, speed is irrelevant and you should focus entirely on intensity. Still, indoors speed is usually slower of what most people usually ride outdoors.

2. Depending on the session some should feel easier than others. 100% of your heart rate threshold is an intensity an athlete should be able to sustain for ~60 min maximal effort hence while it should feel some how challenging when doing that, up to 30 min should feel fairly doable. If you are doing 80-90% of that is pace, then you could maintain for ~3+ hrs hence, doing some sets at that intensity it should feel relatively easy for 1 hr sessions.

3. If your sessions just feel 'too' easy, then something might be off with the test. You could use RPE to guide your sessions and adjust your HRM by adding 2-3 bpm to each zone and go from there.

4. HRM training has many limitations in particular when doing interval training at your MLSS or higher. There is a learning curve for you to go through before you know what targets (levels) fits the intensity best, RPE is key in riding indoors.

I hope that helps.
2010-11-04 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Thank you, Andrew and Jorge!  All that information helps a lot.  I could definitely maintain that pace for 3 hours.  But seeing as I'm hoping to do my first HIM next summer, I'd like to avoid taking 3.5-4 hours on the bike course!  Laughing  Which is why I'm doing the plan in the first place, I guess! 

Day 3 of Week 1 is tomorrow, and I'm going to add about 3-5bpm to my hr in each zone and see how that feels.  I don't know that we have the money to buy a power meter though, but it seems that might be my best bet. 

I'm also planning on doing the optional Day 4 this week to see how that feels for a 2 hour ride at the different hr intervals.  If that still feels too easy, I'll retake my test. 

Thanks again!
2010-11-04 3:52 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Just out of curiosity what kind of trainer are you using?
2010-11-04 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3195633

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Donto - 2010-11-04 3:52 PM Just out of curiosity what kind of trainer are you using?

It's an Ascent mag-trainer.  DH has the KK fluid trainer, and I got his hand-me-down!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter Maintenance Plan and HR Zones Rss Feed