General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Day transition area and pool time... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-04 4:06 PM

New user

Subject: Race Day transition area and pool time...
I have a few swim questions and 2 transition questions...here goes:

Swim: Ok, so I have been swimming in a 25 yard pool and I've been averaging about 7:40 for the 400 yards...I know not great.

Anyway, the swim for the event is long course 50m, for 400m.  I'm concerned because I have to estimate my time for the start...I don't want to over, or under, estimate the time and end up "in traffic".  Any thoughts on what a good conversion will be? 

A few extra things to consider...

1.  My flip turns aren't very good, so I'm not sure the wall push off helps me all that much...
2.  I don't have problems with distance...I'm just slow.
3.  It is a serpentine style swim...ducking under ropes, etc...

Ok, now for the transition area...2 things...

1. Is it normal to put a marker or something on your bike to help you find it...should I do this?  I've read about people using balloons and colored chalk and all sorts of things...suggestions?  The race will have about 450 participants, if last years numbers are any indication.

2. How much space can I reasonably take up with my transition area...I don't want to be a jerk-face taking up too much room, but I want to make sure I can have everything I need.  Does anyone have a good diagram/system for the layout of transitions...or can direct me to a link, etc?

Thanks everyone,  this resource (BT forums) is making this all so much more manageable.  The training was hard enough, but I wouldn't know how to handle these details without the help.

2010-11-04 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3195658

User image

Subject: RE: Race Day transition area and pool time...
I'd add :30 or so due to it being long course, and then :10 per 100 for the yd/meter switch, so about 8:40?   Keep in mind that's a total WAG.  There will be other things that affect the time, race day "extra" speed, how crowded the pool is, etc.  No matter what you estimate, even if you are spot on count on others not being.

Transition
Some people use balloons, chalk on the ground, etc.  I've found the easiest thing to do is scout out the swim out to T1, and count the racks to your row.  Someone else might bring something that you can use

Check out this oldie but goodie  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Michael%20Pate/Sept%20'03%20-%20Laying%20Out%20A%20Transition%20Area.htm

I disagree that a "full size bath towel" is needed though.  The towel I use is the small kind many tris give out as swag

All you need is bike shoes and socks (if using), helmet on bike.  Running shoes and hat behind bike shoes.  Really don't need more than 12" wide or so by a couple feet deep

Edited by ChrisM 2010-11-04 4:19 PM
2010-11-04 4:53 PM

I would go with the time you have done the 400 in in training. (Don't forget to adjust for meters vs. yards). No matter what you give as an estimate most likely you will have to deal with traffic. For example, when I did a race with an 800meter pool swim, I gave an accurate time for the distance because I done 800 meters in a 50 meter pool in training, but still ran into traffic. Some people must have put in very unrealistic times. I must have passed 50 or 60 people and I don't think anyone passed me. Just relax and deal with the best you can.

Most like there will be so many peiple inthe pool that flip turns would be hard if not impossible to do, so don't even worry about doing them.

I won't bother trying mark where your bike is racked. After you have racked your bike, just do a a walk through before the race. Enter the transition area the way you will be coming in from the swim and use what is already there to locate your bike. I count the number of racks I need to pass before I get to the one with my bike. Then I notice which end of the rack your bike nearest. Repeat it a couple of times so it easy to remember. Do the same thing for the bike return and find where the run exit in relation to your racked bike.

As for your setup in the transition area. Keep it to a minimum. Just enough room to set your running shoes and your bike shoes.( I am assuming you will not be putting your bike shoes on the bike). That is all you really need. Put you race belt under your running shoes along with a cap of visor if you use one. Everything else you need for the bike should be on the bike. Helmet, sunglasses, food, water, etc. Just use your hand to wipe your feet if needed. Don't even bother with a towel.

Good Luck and have fun.

2010-11-04 5:43 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
If it's a pool, it's likely a serpentine swim, where you'll be crossing under the ropes at least half the time on your turns. I wouldn't even sweat doing a flip turn if that's the case.
2010-11-04 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3195796

User image

Regular
some say flip turns arent even allowd...

also what reason to not put shoes on the bike? not being able to put them on, on the bike?

its just mad hard running in them till you get to where u can get on the bike
2010-11-05 1:01 AM

User image

Master
I'd go with 7:40.  For some reason everyone cheats on those times.  Saying you are a tad faster than you are will probably get you paced with folks right about your same speed.

2010-11-05 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3195813

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
disturbed - 2010-11-04 3:53 PM some say flip turns arent even allowd...

also what reason to not put shoes on the bike? not being able to put them on, on the bike?

its just mad hard running in them till you get to where u can get on the bike

Shoes on the bike is the way to go if you've practiced it and are comfortable doing the move.  Lots of people use rubber bands to keep the shoes upright so they won't drag on the ground as you run the bike out to the mount line.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Day transition area and pool time... Rss Feed