General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New in New Mexico (Santa Fe) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-18 11:09 PM

New user

Subject: New in New Mexico (Santa Fe)
I just posted this in "Introduce Yourself" forum but thought I might post it again here to see who is out there in the Santa Fe area that might help with local training ideas etc:

Hi Everyone,

I'm not only new to Triathlons, but new to this forum stuff as well. Actually the "new to triathlon" is only partially true, as I haven't done one one in over 25 years. When I owned a bike shop in Los Alamos 1975-1986 I actually started the Los Alamos NM triathlon about 30 years ago. As far as I know, they didn't even have names for the different categories back then like Sprint, Olympic etc. They had the Iron Man in Hawaii and triathlons were just starting to take off.

Anyway, it wasn't long after that I changed careers and have had an office job ever since, so you might say I've been sitting on my butt for about 25 years or so. I put on about 30 lbs and this past Christmas broke 200lbs and said that's enough (I was about 165lbs and in great shape 30 years ago - yep, it happens to a lot of us) So, you guessed it, my New Year's resolution was to lose 20 lbs and get back down to at least 180lbs. I made it, about a month ago! Now I'm wanting to push for more and decided to keep going and train for triathlons again.

There are a number of tri's in New Mexico next year and specifically I would like to compete in my home town one here in Santa Fe in July and of course must go back and do the Los Alamos one in August as well. Probably a warm one before those so I don't embarrass myself

Any tips, on training programs, health, nutrition, essential equipment etc etc would be most appreciated. Also if you happen to be in New Mexico, if you know traing groups or?? that would be helpful too.

Good Luck to all of you, with your personal goals!!

Jeff

2010-11-22 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3217729

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Subject: RE: New in New Mexico (Santa Fe)
I don't want you to think noone responds on this board!

I can't remember if any Santa Fe'ans are on this board or not. If there are it's only a few. From what I've seen, most are from ABQ and then a few in the south/southeast part of the state.

as for tips and programs, there are some great programs on this website that are free (and I see you are a goldmember, so you are loaded for programs). Look for something balanced that fits your lifestyle and your family's lifestyle. My biggest tip - don't make training a chore, enjoy it. I got to the point where it seemed to be a chore and I didn't like that. Swimming still feels this way, which is one reason I still haven't been to the pool and I'm 3wks out from my sprint.

I know there are some riding groups in Santa Fe, just don't know about tri groups. There's a great bike shop on St. Francis next to Whole Foods I think or Trader Joes...it's the next big street after St. Michaels. They could be of help for finding riding groups.

Hope you enjoy the journey.

Edited by barelfly 2010-11-22 5:39 PM
2010-12-07 12:04 AM

Veteran
Vienna, Austria (temporarily)
There is a triathlon club in Los Aamos.  I think that we have some members who live in Santa Fe.
http://www.triatomics.org/
2010-12-08 9:54 AM

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
There's a decent bike shop called Rob and Charlie's on St. Michael's over by the College of Santa Fe. I've only stopped in there once and wasn't dramatically impressed by what I saw, but they had some decent inventory and I saw a flyer for local group rides.

My girlfriend rides for Colavita New Mexico and one of their sponsors is The Broken Spoke on 2nd Street. The two guys I met there seemed squared away, but they had a small inventory. I don't doubt they could order just about anything though, I just like to handle things in person.

There's also Frankie Flats. This shop is a little more difficult to find so I won't even try to give directions. Allegedly they have a great fitting service. I don't know first-hand, that's just want I heard from the folks at The Broken Spoke. They are listed primarily as a bike repair shop, but they do carry retail inventory.

There are a couple of other shops in the area, those are just the one's I'm familiar with.

I haven't lived in Santa Fe for about 10 years, but I go back two or three times a year to see friends. The community college has a clean pool, 25 yards, and there are always 2 lap lanes open even if there's a class going on. It's $6 for non-students to use the athletic facility, which has the pool, a weight room, indoor running track (9 laps for a mile) and basketball courts.

The new Chavez Community Center has a 50 yard lap pool, weight room, indoor track and ice skating rink. I've not used the pool there, but I've heard it's not as clean as the one at the community college. Not to say that it's filthy, just not AS clean.

Now that you're in the area, you'll hear about anything else I could recommend and likely more. I am officially jealous and would LOVE to move back to Santa Fe.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New in New Mexico (Santa Fe) Rss Feed