General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best heart rate monitors.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-26 11:03 AM

User image

Long Island
Subject: Best heart rate monitors..
Hello everyone,

My name is Jamie... did the great southbay tri on long island in june 2009... now I'm addicted to racing!
Signing up for the LI half marathon next May and doing the Great south bay again that June.... I figured this would be the best place to ask about heart rate monitors.... I have a standard one already... polar... gives heart rate and calories burned.... Howvever, this is what I need regaurdless of how expensive...

-Distance covered
-pace
-calories burned
-GPS(if able to be used for geocaching???)
-water proof
-actually works well in water(some reviews I have read have said the water proof ones dont work well in water)
-Track distance and pace in water

I have researched the garman 405, 305 and 310... I have also researched the timex ironman watch...

If anyone has any feedback on these heart rate monitors or know of one other than the ones I have listed ... your feed back will be GREATLY appreciated....

I have been doing a lot of researching but have gotten a lot of mixed reviews.... these HRMs are expensive.. I don't want to spend that kind of money without knowing its a good product

Thanks so much!

2010-11-26 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3226587

Subject: RE: Best heart rate monitors..
DC Rainmaker has lots of good info on his blog.  Here's one example entry, but there are more listed on the right side of the linked page.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/06/new-garmin-forerunner-310xt-openwater.html
2010-11-26 7:12 PM

User image

Long Island
Thank you so much for the website!
2010-11-26 7:50 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
I have used both the Timex global trainer and the Garmin 310xt.  They are both similar, but the biggest difference that I noticed is that the garmin picks up sat signals MUCH more quickly.  To my knowledge the technology is not there yet to give accurate pacing in the water, but with the new firmware for the garmin it does give a more accurate distance and map to upload to training peaks or other training program.  I took the Timex back because it took so long to get a signal.  The garmin picks it up in less than a minute routinely.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best heart rate monitors.. Rss Feed