General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Maffetone Racing Speed vs Training Speed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-11-27 3:21 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-11-27 3:37 PM
in reply to: #3227384

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Maffetone Racing Speed vs Training Speed?
adamamelia - 2010-11-27 3:21 PM Could someone help me understand the difference between Maffetone's base training speed (keeping HR at Max Aerobic Function) and actual race speed? If my MAF zone is 137-147 and I train right around 147 to build my running aeorbic base (currently around 6 mph), how fast am I supposed to race? Especially for longer distance races (Olympic and half ironman triathlons) if I go above 147 I'm theoretically anerobic and will run out of energy before completion. Some of Maffetone's examples cite a runner that runs 10 minute miles under normal MAF, and then when they do their 3-5 mile MAF test every three weeks to gauge progress, they're running 8:25 miles? I've tried and tried to find the answer to this difference in his books, online, etc... but can't get a reasonable explanation. Thanks in advance.

No, the MAF 'method' is something he came up with based on his experience and has little sound foundation on physiology. Training zones are man made and your body doesn't really know between training at x or y HR zone, it only 'feels' harder or easier and the different physiological process increase/decrease (i.e. lactate concentrations, % of fuel carbs vs fat oxidation, use of oxygen, etc.)

It is simple incorrect to believe you go anaerobic by training above certain level. That is, unless you are exerting yourself very hard (maximal effort) for less than ~2 min, then, the main energy system that will be at work to fuel your session will be aerobic in nature. Even when doing efforts at your VO2 max or Maximum Lactate Steady State, your aerobic energy system is the main system at work.

There is no physiological reason for you to limit your training to x or y intensity unless your goal is to increase your training load via volume (duration/distance). Still, for that to have a significant impact on your fitness you need to produce enough strain on your body to induce those adaptations. For most untrained individuals that is like doubling your current training load baseline, and soon after, increase it again.

i.e. if you train 5 hrs, you need train 10 hrs and soon after you adapt probably increase significantly your load to continue producing such adaptations. (this doesn't work exactly that way, but it is meant to illustrate a point).

There can be good reasons to train a lower intensities as long as you increase your volume. Still, there is much more to it, than just simply arbitrarily limiting your training intensity to certain 'zones' based on loosey goosey pseudo-science. I wrote an article about 'base' training a while back and it touches a bit as to why it makes little sense for most AGers to limit training to certain intensities.

My advice, if you still choose to define your training zones of Mafettone approach and follow it, don't worry too much about staying in certain zone all the time. You won't go anaerobic, you won't hinder training adaptations and by varying your intensity, you will maximize your training gains based on your time availability.
2010-11-27 5:09 PM

Edited by PennState 2010-11-27 5:09 PM
2010-11-27 5:39 PM

2010-11-27 5:55 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Maffetone's formula is a method that is intended (by mafetone) to limit the intensity at which you train under then (incorrect) assumption that training over certain level will result in stalling your progress in terms of building yoru aerobic fitness.

The training zone that maffetone targets is roughly Zone 2 as defined by Friel, Level 2 as designed by Coggan, RPE of 9-11 based on the Borg 6-20 RPE scale.

Old thinking was that you needed to spend months (even up to 2 years) training in this range in order to maximize your aerobic development. Newer research proves without a doubt, via exercise testing with lactate, expired gasses and even muscle biopsies, that training in higher intensity zones can build your aerobic fitness even faster than training at the lower zones.

There are even exercise protocols where training done in the true anaerobic range produced aerobic adaptations (Tabata intervals, and the Masters 30 sec sprints repeated every 5 minute studies).

In my mind, the main benefit of the Maffetone method is that you will not get hurt training this way. The zones may or may not be correct for your individual physiology, but with his modefiers (+/- 5-10 beats for various aspects), it's a very conservative HR cap, which shoudl keep most people squarely in Zone 2 or below.

THe question then becomes...do you WANT to train only at a low zone which requires more volume for the same fitness gains? For some people, the answer is yes, you do. for a variety of reasons, some people are just happier training here. But as Jorge said, there is no physiologic need to limite your training, and all of the recent literature (recent...past 10-15 years) shows that there are many ways to improve the same fitness parameters FASTER by training at higher intensities.

What you ultimately decide to do depends on a number of things, including your bakcground in sport and the quality of your movements. Running for example, is fully weight bearing and small movements done incorrectly (overstriding) can be magnified when done at higher intensities, making pain or injury more likely. Running is probably the sport where doing a lot of trainign at low intensity is most important. There is a good thread on here about runnign frequency that you should check out.

As your question points out, however, racing at the upper limite of the maffetone zone is not going to be a very fast run in terms of race speed. By going above your calcuated zones, you are not "going anaerobic" but you will be burning more glycogen, and calling on muscles nad joints to work in new frequencies & applications of power that they are not accustomed to.

FOr that reason it's very important to train at higher intensities before race day, with enough lead time to allow your body to accomodate to the higher intensity. Otherwise you risk injury & a bad race day.

That was maybe a longer explanation than you wanted, and Im not even sure I answered your question, lol.

2010-11-27 6:28 PM

New user

Hi adamamelia,

the only relationship between base training speed—MAF pace—and race pace is a chart I compiled back in the 1980s. I collected data from hundreds of athletes comparing max aerobic pace (based on the 180-Formula) and 5K running race times (on flat, certified courses). This is the chart you probably have seen in my books. But I didn’t collect race date for cycling events, triathlons or other competitions because it’s not possible to reproduce different race courses. The purpose of the chart is to generally compare your aerobic and anaerobic function. Most runners will fit into the chart, and those that don’t—they’re either much slower or much faster in the race times compared to their aerobic pace—may have some problem with poor aerobic function, overtraining or other issues that need improving.

We could do something similar by measuring oxygen uptake and carbon dioxide output. This tells us how much sugar (glucose) and fat you burn at different paces. We can define aerobic as a state where higher fat and lower sugar is burned, and anaerobic as a state where lower sugar and higher fat is burned. Your MAF pace is associated with a high level of fat burning.

You also mention the example of a runner at 10 minutes per mile at their max aerobic heart rate. The 8:25 minutes per mile is where they end up months later after building a great aerobic base. In other words, today a runner goes 10 minutes per mile at a heart rate of 147, and six months later, if all goes well with training, diet, etc., the aerobic system develops and now the running goes 8:25 per mile at a heart rate of 147. This is an example, although I’ve seen these changes take place in many athletes.

Phil Maffetone

2010-11-27 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3227476

Edited by PennState 2010-11-27 6:34 PM
2010-11-27 6:33 PM

Edited by PennState 2010-11-27 6:36 PM
2010-11-27 8:39 PM

2010-11-28 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3227480

New user

Fred Doucette - 2010-11-27 6:33 PM
Phil Maffetone - 2010-11-27 7:28 PM @font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 10pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

Welcome Dr. Maffetone. MAF training and MAF testing  has often been discussed here on BT. Been some controversy at times. I look forward to more discussion.

@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 10pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

Thanks, PennState. Someone sent me the comment so I responded. I know there has been some controversy with my approach, but there’s much less when the misunderstandings are cleared up. Some of the comments posted above are not accurate, so some clarifications are in order.

JorgeM says that my approach has “little sound foundation on physiology.” This is untrue. My textbook (Complementary Sports Medicine published by Human Kinetics) provides detailed physiological descriptions with over a thousand references from exercise physiology texts and journals. In addition, I spent years employing physiological measurements in my clinic, testing athletes using EMG, EEG, RQ (respiratory quotient), blood and urine tests, and many others. And I often discuss the physiology behind my approach with my peers, some of whom have different opinions yet we can still have intelligent conversations.

As my books and articles clearly explain, when I discuss aerobic vs. anaerobic training, I’m referring to the mix of fuels used, namely fat and sugar, and not the academic definitions of oxygen and without oxygen.

Adventurebear says that my training methods incorrectly assume that “training over certain level will result in stalling your progress in terms of building yoru aerobic fitness.” This is generally accurate, except for the “incorrect” notion. If we use the fat/sugar burning model, and the goal of aerobic base building is to increase fat burning which contributes to one running or biking faster at the same heart rate over the weeks and months, it’s easy to demonstrate that adding too much hard training, which I’m calling anaerobic, can impair the base building process. This can be measured in various ways, including using RQ to monitor the amount of fat and sugar burning. Since most athletes don’t have easy access to a gas analyzer, I developed a track test in the early 1980s based on these (and other) lab results called the max aerobic function test (MAF test). Simply put, if an athlete is building the aerobic system, he or she should be able to run faster at the same heart rate over time. However, if they are not getting faster at the same heart rate, or getting slower, the aerobic system is not developing well.

adventurebear also says that, “The training zone that maffetone targets is roughly Zone 2 as defined by Friel, Level 2 as designed by Coggan, RPE of 9-11 based on the Borg 6-20 RPE scale.” Friel and Coggan have done some good work, but it was after I developed my heart rate training approaches. I can’t comment on the details unless I go back to read about their work, but if my 180-formula results in a similar heart rate to what they recommend, I’m not surprised. Perceived exertion (RPE) varies considerably during one’s base building period. Initially the level may be 9-11 on the Borg scale, but sometimes less. As the base builds and pace quickens, the RPE may be much higher even though the heart rate is the same. I recall testing triathlete Mike Pigg, who I trained for many years. He progressed during one base period to 5:20 pace (at his max aerobic heart rate of 155), and his PRE during this particular test was 16-18.

Adventurebear comments that, “it's very important to train at higher intensities before race day, with enough lead time to allow your body to accomodate to the higher intensity. Otherwise you risk injury & a bad race day.” I won’t argue with the general idea of this as I do recommend higher intensity workouts in most situations. However, I’ve seen hundreds of athletes perform their best following a period of only training at or below their max aerobic heart rate and performing no speed work. In the example above of Mike Pigg, I believe that was also the year he went through most of the race season only training at his max aerobic heart rate, and it was one of his best competitive years.

Phil Maffetone

2010-11-28 2:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Funny, I've argued some points made on this thread, to the point of, I hardly even comment about the issue anymore. I have read several of Maffetone's books and follow it as closely to its intentions as I can and have seen great progress in my training over the last year and a half. I feel people tend to fall into, if yer not killing yerself, yer never gonna get anywhere. With some patience, I have been happy with my progress, only "speed work" not being anything more than farklets in the pool, on the bike, and in my running.....I've noticed from one race to the next, maintaining hr levels have been decreasing. I recently purchased Phil's "The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing", and am about 1/3 of the way thru it...just a warning-be careful when reading these threads, you can easily be misguided, with good intentions. I would just offer patience and if your not charting your workouts to start so your progress can be monitored more closely. But most importantly, find a method and stay with it and don't let anything detract you from it. Phil's website has a forum also, where you can ask him q's along with much more info on being a complete athlete and the question you've asked about race speed has been asked before, I read it awhile back....

2010-11-28 10:35 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Phil Maffetone - 2010-11-27 5:28 PM

We could do something similar by measuring oxygen uptake and carbon dioxide output. This tells us how much sugar (glucose) and fat you burn at different paces. We can define aerobic as a state where higher fat and lower sugar is burned, and anaerobic as a state where lower sugar and higher fat is burned. Your MAF pace is associated with a high level of fat burning.

It's a pleasure to have you respond here!

There's no argument that training at the very aerobic pace your zones represent will result in improvements in endurance performance. That is certainly not a point of contention. Nor is it any argument that many, many, many athletes have benefitted from training at this lower heart rate.

However I think that it's a disservice to describe efforts above your calculated HR # as "anaerobic". As jorge referenced above, this paper by Gaskin:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11547894

Demonstrates that all out activities lasting longer than 75 seconds are mostly aerobic in nature. That is, most of the energy for any effort lasting longer than 75 seconds, regardless of intensity, is fueled mostly by fat burning. We therefore have a much wider range of intensities available to use that are still aerobic. In fact, your Max HR is acheived in conjuction with VO2 Max, which can be replicated with a 5 minute all out effort (or a much longer ramped effort).

There is additional scientific literature published which shows aerobic adaptations (incrased Vo2 max, increased capillary density, increase in size of slow twich muscle fibers, increase in oxidative enzymes) from aerobic AND anaerobic interval training. All of these activities (including LSD) result in a higher sustained power/speed at your maximal lactate steady state, which is the ultimate goal of endurance training.

So the debate is only what measure of what intensity is best for any individual given their time constraints. Comparing the training of Mike Pigg to the average reader here on BT is not an equal comparison at all.

I'm not arguing that your HR Zone training is effective, only that it's a necessary way to train for improvement in endurance events.
2010-11-29 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3228318

New user

Hi Suzanne, thanks.

I suspect we agree on most issues. The idea that the aerobic system contributes the most energy in all endurance events is the foundation of my approach, as I’ve been talking about that issue in particular throughout my career. I think it was the work of Astrand in the 70s who first showed that during a 2-minute all-out effort, half the energy was derived from the aerobic system and half from the anaerobic system. And, in a 10K race it’s over 95% from the aerobic system, increasing to over 99% during an Ironman.

I have used the names “aerobic system” and “anaerobic system” referring to their many physical and metabolic aspects. Among them is fat and sugar burning, with aerobic referring to the use of higher levels of fat (and lower levels of sugar), and anaerobic just the opposite. I’m very familiar with the literature as I read it everyday, and aware my definitions don’t precisely fit academic descriptions. But I’m not alone as various models and definitions abound in both physiology and the popular press.

The real question is how do athletes translate this information into effective training to improve health and performance?

I still see magazine articles about exercise that refers to aerobic as “using oxygen” and anaerobic as “without oxygen.” Does this mean we can perform 400-meter intervals without breathing? Certainly not. These definitions are not useful except in certain academic situations.

The word “anaerobic” is also regularly used throughout the athletic world, and extensively in published studies where it’s a key word. But the way the term is used is often technically incorrect. This further creates confusion for athletes.

Even the traditional Wingate test, a measure of anaerobic performance, incorporates moderate amounts of aerobic metabolism. This test requires that an athlete pedal an ergometer “all out” for 30 seconds, following a warm-up 3-5 minutes.

I decided long ago to loosely use the terms aerobic and anaerobic when referring to specific training levels (using heart rate as a biofeedback tool). I refer to aerobic as a level of intensity that builds a combination of both health and endurance, and increases fat burning. I determined a heart rate formula based on RQ measurements so athletes would not have to rely on an exercise physiology lab (the 180-formula). Training at or below a certain level of intensity helps increase fat burning, and also increases the pace at the same heart rate. The result is a healthier athlete with increased fitness (i.e. better performance). This is what I refer to as building the aerobic system.

Anaerobic training by my definition refers to higher intensities that increases sugar burning and lower fat burning. (This is one reason why so many endurance athletes have surprisingly high levels of body fat despite putting in many miles.)

For a long time I observed that the higher the RQ the higher the likelihood of injury and ill health, ultimately followed by reductions in performance. This is why I say “anaerobic” training at the wrong time can reduce aerobic function. (There are times when hard training is healthy, such as after a base-building period when the RQ is lower.)

My goal in training athletes is not to use the published literature as a guide, or write books by cutting/pasting what’s written in textbooks. Rather, it’s outcome oriented, (yet still has a physiological basis). The bottom line: I do what I think is necessary to help athletes perform their best while remaining healthy. We face an epidemic of fit but unhealthy athletes as reflected in the prevalence of injuries and overtraining. This is the real disservice.

I didn’t mean to get this far off topic. If this forum has a moderator, he or she would likely have stopped us. I’ve tried to keep my discussion relatively simple yet address the basic issues as we are not in a physiology forum, but one of beginner triathletes.

Phil Maffetone

2010-11-29 1:58 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
As per Jorge's "loosey-goosey" comment, I found that to be a little out of character, and quite simply, not being very professional, IMO.

Jorge - out of due respect, Dr. Maffetone had done EXTENSIVE testing throughout the years (at least in the past) for YEARS regarding his methodology and has written two great books regarding Endurance training (I have them and have read them), and has worked with some top athletes, too, with some positive feedback.  I would rethink that kind of comment.  I would have expected better of you.

Dr. Maffetone - I find it a privilege and an honor knowing that you posted on this forum!!  I still have your two books - "Trainig for Endurance" and "Eating for Endurance".

To each their own with their kind of philosophy on training.  What matters the most, if anything, is that, one way or another, positive results will occur, but, which one will get you there sooner (if needed) and/or injury-free?
2010-11-29 5:21 PM

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Dr. Maffetone,

I've read much about your approach to training and while there seems to a great deal of good information, there are a couple of things that give me pause.  The first is limiting intensity and while I don't agree with the reasons you've stated for this approach, I understand your reasoning.

However, the biggest concern that I have is that you set a HR target from a formula instead of using field testing to ensure that the number has the athlete training at the intensity that your method specifies.  I was wondering if you could provide more insight into why you went in this direction as opposed to field testing.

Thanks,

Shane
2010-11-29 6:24 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Hey Doc, big fan.

2010-11-29 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3229444

Edited by Fred Doucette 2010-11-29 7:59 PM
2010-11-29 10:35 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
As much as I hate to admit it (lol) the 180-age with modifiers formula works somewhat well for me as well.

The 220-age as max HR however, fails miserably.

2010-11-30 1:12 AM
in reply to: #3229739

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
AdventureBear - 2010-11-29 8:35 PM As much as I hate to admit it (lol) the 180-age with modifiers formula works somewhat well for me as well. The 220-age as max HR however, fails miserably.

May I ask what this 180-age actually is? I know that the 220-age is 'supposed to be' a max upon which training zones are to be set ( and is generally considered to be unreliable), but what 'level' of exertion is the 180-age? Is it a base rate, of a low aerobic training rate, similar to the zone 1-2 in many training plans?

many thanks to all as always

kelly
2010-11-30 1:56 PM

New user

These are good questions, and there’s an excerpt on the 180-Formula from “The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing” on my website here

http://philmaffetone.com/180formula.cfm

that provides good answers, but I’ll give you a quick summary and history below.

The best way to determine training heart rates is through an individualized evaluation. It’s what Shane mentioned regarding a field test. This was my approach when training athletes. If you’re coaching, it’s what I recommend, and as an athlete if you’re looking for the best individualized training heart rate, I recommend doing the same, which usually means finding a sports professional who can assist you. If this is not an option, use the 180-formula. It may never be as good as an effective personalized assessment, but it comes very close.

During my years of training athletes, finding the best training heart rate was a relatively lengthy process of one-on-one assessment, involving many different measurements. With an athlete on a treadmill, stationary bike, or on the track, I would record many pre- and post-workout features such as gait, standing posture, muscle balance, postural blood pressure, etc., and correlate this with heart rate at various points before, during, and after workouts. I also used many of the results obtained during my initial physical evaluation.

It also involved comparing the heart rate with other measurements such as fat and sugar burning. In particular, finding the heart rate that correlates with the highest level of fat burning. (Those who do RQ testing will often see what is called a “deflection point” in the evaluation, where the slow rise in sugar burning suddenly takes a steeper incline. This correlates well with the results of the 180-Formula.) Other tests, such as lactate, Borg (perceived exertion) and later, salivary cortisol, were also done.

As I began writing and lecturing more, athletes asked about determining their own “max aerobic heart rate” without traveling to New York to see me. That got me thinking about a formula.

It was a matter of figuring out the mathematics, which too a number of weeks as I recall. I worked backwards from the heart rates already obtained in athletes who had previously been assessed as a guide. Once I found a formula, and it consistently compared well with my relatively lengthy process of one-on-one evaluations, I started writing and lecturing about it.

The number 180 in itself has no meaning, nor does 180-age, which is just a means to an end. (The number 180 came to me in the shower one day after a long run, one of those “ah ha” moments.) The important part of the formula is the adjustment (choosing category a, b, c, or d). With this, my attempt was to convert ones chronological age (in years) to physiological age (how healthy we are).

The training heart rate derived from the 180-Formula (or however you obtain an effective number) can also be used to test yourself (checking your pace at this HR on a track each month, called the MAF Test), or using it as a max racing heart rate on the bike during long triathlons so you’re relatively fresh for your run.

Phil Maffetone
2010-11-30 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3230805

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Phil Maffetone - 2010-11-30 1:56 PM

... (The number 180 came to me in the shower one day after a long run, one of those “ah ha” moments.) ...
Phil Maffetone

It was because Archimedes already coined "Eureka", wasn't it? (j/k)

2010-11-30 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3230805

Edited by Fred Doucette 2010-11-30 4:07 PM
2010-11-30 9:50 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Phil,

Thank you so much for the mini-history lesson. It's really refreshing to see the in depth analysis with which you approached your method. With your explanation of how & why you arrrived at the formula (love teh "aha" moment in the shower) it shocks me even more that there are many COACHES who use this method with their athletes.

Individualized testing does take a lot of time and attention to the details surrounding preparation and execution of the test. it makes sense to me that armed with an abundance of data from your testing, to have arrived at a formula which correlates ones chronological age with their physiologic age is a great way to share your experience with a mass audience wanting to achieve the same results.

I also use the MAF test, especially for running, but arrive at the testing HR number through field testing or racing results. I agree that its a great way to guage improvement in sub maximal exercise performance.
2010-11-30 10:53 PM

Master
Sendai, Japan
The 180 formula lines up pretty well with the pace/heart rate I'm currently using for my running.  Two questions:

1.  Do you stick with that heart rate during the hotter summer months?  

2.  Can you apply the same formula to cycling?   Seems like you're implying this would hold for any endurance related training.  
2010-12-06 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3231499

New user

dcon - 2010-11-30 10:53 PM The 180 formula lines up pretty well with the pace/heart rate I'm currently using for my running.  Two questions:

1.  Do you stick with that heart rate during the hotter summer months?  

2.  Can you apply the same formula to cycling?   Seems like you're implying this would hold for any endurance related training.  

Konnichiwa,

During the extremes of weather, both hot and cold, it’s often necessary to make outdoor training adjustments. Typically in the summer heat, I would reduce running volume but keep the heart rate the same. How much depends on the athlete, the temperatures, and other weather factors (such as humidity and barometric pressure).

The 180-Formula applies to any sport. I studied max aerobic HRs in many activities, and eventually concluded that separate formulas for running, biking and swimming were not necessary.

You will notice a significant difference between running, biking and swimming at your max aerobic HR regarding perceived exertion. 145, for example, will feel harder in the water than 145 during a run, with biking in the middle. This has to do with the stress of gravity--there’s a greater affect on the body during running compared with swimming (we use a lot more muscle mass during running). So in the water, you’ll have a much higher perceived exertion.

Phil Maffetone
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Maffetone Racing Speed vs Training Speed? Rss Feed  

of 2