General Discussion Triathlon Talk » National Marathon: Official VA Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-12-03 11:51 AM

User image

DC
Subject: National Marathon: Official VA Thread
I hope this hasn't been started yet--looked around but didn't see one.

OK... whose in? I'm hoping we can get some fun long runs in. My wife & I have been in the area to 2 yrs now & would like to meet some local folk. 

In the meanwhile: Targeted PR: 3:30. 

2010-12-03 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3235585

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: National Marathon: Official VA Thread
I'm planning on doing my first Mary in 2011... any thoughts as to whether the DC one (here) or Richmond is a better first choice?  Currently I'm thinking Richmond (mainly b/c I've done the 1/2 several times), but came across this one last night and then saw your post.  Thanks in advance!  -Stu
2010-12-03 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm not local, but I followed you over here to check out the thread!  My cousin lives in DC and ran the half last year.  She's the one that talked me into running the full this year.  I have a friend here at work that has run this every year they've had it and really enjoys it.

Anyway, my goal is 3:50 (at the current time that would be a BQ for me - we'll see if they change things...).  It will be my second full marathon (I did Twin Cities this fall).  I am in upstate NY and am hoping for a mild winter!  We didn't have much snow last year - you guys down there got it all!
2010-12-03 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3235887

User image

DC
tribeagle - 2010-12-03 3:11 PM I'm not local, but I followed you over here to check out the thread!  My cousin lives in DC and ran the half last year.  She's the one that talked me into running the full this year.  I have a friend here at work that has run this every year they've had it and really enjoys it.

Anyway, my goal is 3:50 (at the current time that would be a BQ for me - we'll see if they change things...).  It will be my second full marathon (I did Twin Cities this fall).  I am in upstate NY and am hoping for a mild winter!  We didn't have much snow last year - you guys down there got it all!

Cool. I understand that it's flatter than the Marine Corp... & that's a hilly mary IMO. Of course, I doubt it's as flat (aka "fast") as Chicago--my home town--but it should still be a relatively easy-going course. Strange that you have to qualify before getting in. Maybe the purpose is to make it popular by posting overall faster times? I recently read that they are trying to woo Nike for future sponsorship.

Juneapple:  I haven't done Richmond, but perhaps someone can chime in on the courses' difficulty levels--if you're interested in a certain time.
2010-12-03 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3236011

User image

Expert
Porfirio - 2010-12-03 5:19 PM  Strange that you have to qualify before getting in. Maybe the purpose is to make it popular by posting overall faster times? I recently read that they are trying to woo Nike for future sponsorship.

I think the issue is to make sure the streets are clear by a certain time (which hardly rules out people who have a bad race day... but I guess it helps).
2010-12-04 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
I've never run Richmond, but have heard from a bunch of folks that it is very nice... good route, good crowd support, etc.

I ran National last year and It was an OK race for me.  I'd say that the MCM has much more crowd support and it takes a nicer route.  The National Marathon's goal was to keep the whole course in DC (so no Arlington loops like the MCM).  That said, the National course goes through some pretty crappy areas... you go into Anacostia, you run through the RFK parking lot, you run down the trolly construction zone of H Street, etc.  I wasn't really a big fan of the course personally, but it was slightly easier (hill wise) than the MCM and I'd do it again since its the only spring mary I don't have to stay overnight for. 

2010-12-05 7:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm in for National--it will be my first Mary!

I've done the half at Richmond and my DH has done the full at both Richmond and National a couple of times each. Biggest difference is time of year, meaning weather. Early Spring in DC it's been great, cool running weather more often than not. Richmond has been unseasonably hot and humid all but one of the last couple of years. Pick your poison.

Richmond is much easier to get in and out of, host hotel is right at the finish, and there are cheaper hotels nearby. Racers can also use a nearby Y to shower after. If you know your way around, you can drive to multiple spots on the course to see your runner/provide aid. I think the course is probably a bit hillier than DC, but it's scenic and if you like loud crowds, the "party zones" will pick you up.

On the other hand, National is a PITA to get into and out of. Last year, traffic was so bad that DH had to jump out of the car to make the start (and driving through NOVA, we always leave plenty of time). For families/support, it's nice that the Armory at the start/finish is kept open during the race--plenty of room to stretch out and stay warm, although bring your own grub because there aren't any food stops nearby and vendors at the race have been spotty. And because mary course loops back across the Armory, you can see your runner at about the half way point.

Better make up your mind soon--National is just 16 weeks away!
2010-12-05 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3237048

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I can't believe that I am going to say this...

This will be my third Marathon.

I am not certain that I will even PR, because of my first IM in June.  I will run it conservatively.  Not quite treating it as a supported training run, but I am not going to hurt myself, either.

2010-12-06 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3236598

User image

DC
Sous - 2010-12-04 1:09 PM I've never run Richmond, but have heard from a bunch of folks that it is very nice... good route, good crowd support, etc.

I ran National last year and It was an OK race for me.  I'd say that the MCM has much more crowd support and it takes a nicer route.  The National Marathon's goal was to keep the whole course in DC (so no Arlington loops like the MCM).  That said, the National course goes through some pretty crappy areas... you go into Anacostia, you run through the RFK parking lot, you run down the trolly construction zone of H Street, etc.  I wasn't really a big fan of the course personally, but it was slightly easier (hill wise) than the MCM and I'd do it again since its the only spring mary I don't have to stay overnight for. 

In my case, since I've only been here for a couple of years, I think I'll enjoy going through the "crappy" parts too as it's the "real" backbone of DC. I suppose this will help in my attempts to adopt the "east cost personality". But I hear ya, & that's what I expected.
2010-12-06 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3238028

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Porfirio - 2010-12-06 10:19 AM
Sous - 2010-12-04 1:09 PM I've never run Richmond, but have heard from a bunch of folks that it is very nice... good route, good crowd support, etc.

In my case, since I've only been here for a couple of years, I think I'll enjoy going through the "crappy" parts too as it's the "real" backbone of DC. I suppose this will help in my attempts to adopt the "east cost personality". But I hear ya, & that's what I expected.

I guess what I should clarify is that in addition to neighborhoods that are a bit unsavory, the course itself takes some crappy routes.  The race this past year, literally did run though the RFK parking lot, down H Street which is undergoing massive construction for the trolley line, along some regular "bike paths" that were not marshaled so you were running next to kids on skateboards and families on bikes, and the like.  All in all, I wasn't a fan of the course, but like I said in the Metro DC area its your only option for a 'large' spring mary. 
2010-12-06 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
I'm going to sign up as well.  Local. Spring. Marathon. is all I needed to hear.

2010-12-06 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3238306

User image

DC

I guess what I should clarify is that in addition to neighborhoods that are a bit unsavory, the course itself takes some crappy routes.  The race this past year, literally did run though the RFK parking lot, down H Street which is undergoing massive construction for the trolley line, along some regular "bike paths" that were not marshaled so you were running next to kids on skateboards and families on bikes, and the like.  All in all, I wasn't a fan of the course, but like I said in the Metro DC area its your only option for a 'large' spring mary. 

Ah. I see. That's a bit clear-er. Well, I guess it's the REAL DC marathon then. I'll take it as part of the full cultural experience. If the Chicago mary wasn't so popular, I think it would be outright scary considering some of the neighborhoods it hits.
2010-12-07 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3237048

User image

Expert
TriBee - 2010-12-05 8:49 AM I'm in for National--it will be my first Mary!

I've done the half at Richmond and my DH has done the full at both Richmond and National a couple of times each. Biggest difference is time of year, meaning weather. Early Spring in DC it's been great, cool running weather more often than not. Richmond has been unseasonably hot and humid all but one of the last couple of years. Pick your poison.

Richmond is much easier to get in and out of, host hotel is right at the finish, and there are cheaper hotels nearby. Racers can also use a nearby Y to shower after. If you know your way around, you can drive to multiple spots on the course to see your runner/provide aid. I think the course is probably a bit hillier than DC, but it's scenic and if you like loud crowds, the "party zones" will pick you up.

On the other hand, National is a PITA to get into and out of. Last year, traffic was so bad that DH had to jump out of the car to make the start (and driving through NOVA, we always leave plenty of time). For families/support, it's nice that the Armory at the start/finish is kept open during the race--plenty of room to stretch out and stay warm, although bring your own grub because there aren't any food stops nearby and vendors at the race have been spotty. And because mary course loops back across the Armory, you can see your runner at about the half way point.

Better make up your mind soon--National is just 16 weeks away!

Thanks TriBee... I was aiming for Richmond, but then saw this thread and DC intrigued me.  I've done Richmond the last two years and really enjoyed it... as you said easy logistics and great support (and I drove in from 90 mins away).  One reason I thought about DC is that I have a nice HM base right now that I could build from, but I think I'll stick with my Spring HIM / Fall Mary plan.  Thanks for all the input everyone and best of luck in DC!!!

Stu
2010-12-23 12:37 PM

I'm in and with an IM scheduled in August, I just want to finish.

If you want some nice long 8 min/mile runs, let me know and I'll follow suit. I've hit the 3:30 in MCM a couple years ago. I'd love to stay on that time.
2011-02-25 11:21 AM

User image

I'm in, too....though the weather in Upstate NY has been less than ideal for my long runs :-P  Im trying to figure out the best way to get into the city...im staying with a friend in arlington the night before, and I heard the metro usually opens early that day but cant find out any info ontheir site.  Any suggestions on the "getting to" part of the race?
2011-02-25 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3372416

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
trigirl244 - 2011-02-25 12:21 PM I'm in, too....though the weather in Upstate NY has been less than ideal for my long runs :-P  Im trying to figure out the best way to get into the city...im staying with a friend in arlington the night before, and I heard the metro usually opens early that day but cant find out any info ontheir site.  Any suggestions on the "getting to" part of the race?

Metro will mos-def be open early for the race.  You won't likely see anything on their website until a few days before the race, but it will be open.  That's your best bet to get there.  If I recall they did have parking at the RFK lots, but that can be a bit of a PITA since that is the start/finish area you'll have to deal with closed roads and such.

Good luck and hopefully you can get your last runs in!  I've got my last long run this weekend for the VA Beach Shamrock Marathon.

2011-02-25 2:53 PM

User image

DC
How did everyone's training go? I'm recovering from minor shin splints &, well... lack of motivation. I am literally at 12 miles per week or less. Longest run was a 13 miler... in December. Strangely, I really think I can finish this.
2011-02-26 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3372850

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Didn't really train for it per se, except for inserting 3 long runs into my IM Spud Training.  Still have two more long runs.

I am looking to run the first half at training pace...then...kaboom...I'm gonna pick up the pace about 15 seconds/mile.
2011-02-26 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3373609

User image

DC
pga_mike - 2011-02-26 1:18 PM Didn't really train for it per se, except for inserting 3 long runs into my IM Spud Training.  Still have two more long runs.

I am looking to run the first half at training pace...then...kaboom...I'm gonna pick up the pace about 15 seconds/mile.

Cool man. Hmm. After reading your post, I'm aiming for sub IM pace. This will be my most difficult marathon ever. 

OK. Off to my mondo 3 miler. 
2011-02-28 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3373642

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Given the recent BAA announcement, this marathon has turned into my best shot at BQ'ing (with 2012 times, not the reduced 2013 times).

So, I'm going to give it my best shot.  

Training has gone well, but due to the weather and not being particularly fond of running in the cold and dark, my mileage has not been all that high. 

I've kept to the long runs, though, and done some speed and hill work.  Hoping for the best :-
2011-02-28 1:45 PM

User image

Regular
I'm doing the half.  It's too early in the season for me to run a full.

2011-03-08 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3375111

User image

Veteran

jeffdav - 2011-02-28 8:03 AM Given the recent BAA announcement, this marathon has turned into my best shot at BQ'ing (with 2012 times, not the reduced 2013 times).

So, I'm going to give it my best shot.  

Training has gone well, but due to the weather and not being particularly fond of running in the cold and dark, my mileage has not been all that high. 

I've kept to the long runs, though, and done some speed and hill work.  Hoping for the best :-

^^ This pretty much sums up what happened to me.  My mileage was way lower than I had planned, but I hit most of the quality stuff.  I did less miles than before Twin Cities, but more speed, hills, etc.  Two of my three 20 milers were in miserable weather (one freezing rain/ice and one in rain/sleet/snow) so maybe I'll luck out with the race day weather!! 

I'm just going to see what happens - I was hoping for a BQ as well (3:50 with 2012 times), but I'm thinking of trying to stay on pace for 4:00 and see how I feel toward the end.  (I went 4:09 at Twin Cities, so breaking 4:00 would be good too!)  Are there pace groups?

2011-03-24 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3388852

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA

There are going to be pace groups.  I'm assuming the pacers will be lining up in the appropriate corrals, as I believe people were placed in a given corral based on the qualifying times they submitted.

2 days - GETTIN' PUMPED!

2011-03-25 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Just wanted to wish my VA (DC and MD too) peeps good luck tomorrow!  Wish you had better weather projected, but it won't be that bad.  I'll be out to hoot and holler for 'ya!
2011-03-28 8:25 AM

User image

DC

Hey peeps, how'd you do?

This was my 10th marathon (I quit smoking in 2004) & I'm frankly shocked that I actually finished given that my training consisted of sporadic short/medium-distance runs. Heck, I only walked at the aid stations for that matter. At any rate, I've learned that: (a) proper training is a good thing, & (b) DC's really hilly.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » National Marathon: Official VA Thread Rss Feed  

of 2