53F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 30m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

late breakfast at 9:00 am.
more hauling shingle bundles up the ladder until 2:15. shower and crash on couch for an hour. drinking water.
Event warmup:

Stretching and a lot of walking to keep warm. Windy and a bit chilly evening. I had a difficult time trying to balance the clothes to wear because of the standing around waiting for the start, with the fact that I knew I would warm up in the run.
Run
  • 30m 14s
  • 2.97 miles
  • 10m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out a little fast, but it felt pretty good after being fairly sedentary for the 30 minutes prior to the start. Felt pretty comfortable clothing-wise until about the 2 mile mark, when I started sweating quite a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out how many layers to wear. Need to practice more running on hills, though.
Post race
Warm down:

kept walking in the parking lot. ate an apple and a couple orange wedges, drank a bottle of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of hill running, but overall a good effort

Event comments:

This is the first time this race has been held. It benefits a plan to build a playground for all disabilities. For a first effort, there were about 300 runners. There was also a kids K beforehand.
Having run this race, I think running in this park would be good training for me. I believe I can stretch it out for more mileage as needed, and the hill practice would help.

Last updated: 2010-11-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:14 | 02.97 miles | 10m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Fastest 1st mile I have run, that I recall. Fastest "almost" 5K as well. I hit the LAP button on the Garmin when I thought I was close to the full mile marks...didn't look down, but gauged it by the volunteer calling out the mileage. Lap 1 - 1.01 miles time: 10:12 avg 10:08 Lap 2 - .90 miles time: 9:27 avg 10:29 Lap 3 - 1.06 miles time: 10:35 avg 10:01 woohoo!
Course: All inside Old Settlers Park, so it was good to not have vehicle traffic. 1st mile - out of start and right turn to a downhill then uphill. 2nd mile - false flats up and down 3rd mile - the hill again and then left turn into the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No