General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good places to train around Miami? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-08 11:17 PM

User image

Regular
Miami, FL
Subject: Good places to train around Miami?
Hi all!

I was just wondering where you guys train, specially bike and swim, around the Miami area.  Is it even a good idea to train in open waters  ? Also sugestions for places where you can bike without too many cars and intersections. I'm a newbie here, so any help is appreciated.  

Thanks 

2010-12-09 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3242264

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami
Subject: RE: Good places to train around Miami?
Swim you have a few options, it all depends where in miami you live.  There are a lot of public parks with pools but a lot of them are closed during this time of the year (this horrible miami winter)....Other option is to join a local gym, most of them have pools, i work out at the LA Fitness in Sunset place and if you go early enough there is no one using it, but i'm sure you can find a gym close to you that has one.

If you are interested in a masters swim team try Swim Gym at the Miami Rowing Club in Virginia Key.  I dont know if they are meeting during the month of december but i'm sure you can give them a call and find out, they work with people of all abilities and its about 50 dollars a month and you can go up to 3 times a week, well worth it.  I dont have the number handy but if you are interested let me know....

Biking in miami without too many cars it is hard, you have to get used to them....The most popular route where you will find hundreds of cyclist every weekend is the Rickenbacker Causeway, connecting the main land to Virginia key, Grandon Park, Key Biscayne (as the area is known).  Besides that the Old Cutler Road is very popular, one that i like to use for my long rides....You can try checking out map my ride and look for routes in Miami, and see if there is anything that you find appealing.

If you have more specific questions let me know, luckily you dont live to far south or north that all this areas that i mentioned are accessible.....

Hope this helps
2010-12-10 4:01 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I'm just sorting this out myself. I live in the Brickell area. I have a lap pool at my apartment, but there are other options. If you check out mapmyrun and mapmyride.com as suggested, you'll find routes used by athletes already and you can specify what area, sport, and distance. It's really helped me.

Cheers! 
2010-12-10 5:28 PM
in reply to: #3244809

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami
Steph

If you ever deside to join a master group for swimming the one that i listed in my previous post is very close to you.....During the summer a lot of people practice open water swimming in the same aerea, very early in the morning....Whenever i do a  brick workout thats where i do it, its very convenient....

You are in a good location to have easy access to the most commong training places....

CHeers
2010-12-11 11:30 PM

i swim with the atlantis swim club which meets at the rockway public pool. the pool is heated and the training is great.
2010-12-12 7:04 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

When we go to train at Key Biscayne...we swim at Tri-Beach...it's the beach locate just after the Rickenbacker bridge and before the Sea-Aquarium....it's where most of the tri-peeps meet there for OWS...we usually swim along the white bouys....usually 6 bouys and come back...around 1 mile...It's very nice...!!!!

2010-12-18 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
For running, I love the path on Miami Beach. In fact, it's the main reason I moved to the beach (I live near Arther Godfrey and Pine Tree Dr) .. For biking, I agree with the Rickenbacker Causeway suggestions. I haven't been on very high mileage and find the Julia Tuttle and Vinetian causeways sufficient for my needs at this point, with the occasional ride down to Key Biscayne. My complaint is that sometimes there's debris on the shoulder of the Tuttle so you have to be mindful of what's ahead of you. This summer, the plan is to do some OWS in the ocean by my apt or on Key Biscayne. I do my pool workouts at a Bally's Fitness near my office.

I used to live near Miller and 97th. I felt I was taking my life into my own hands riding around there. After an incident where I was literally run off the road by an SUV who didn't feel the same about cyclists sharing the road as I do, I never rode around there again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good places to train around Miami? Rss Feed