General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT Ironman Training Plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-20 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
Subject: BT Ironman Training Plans
I am doing IM Wisconsin this year and am trying to determine which plan to use.  I am debating between the Beginner Ironman w/HR 20 weeks and the Intermediate IM plan with HRM.  Anyone out there have any luck with one versus the other, or any advise as to which one.  The intermediate plan actually looks like less volume than the Beginner plan.

This is my first IM and I did HIM Kansas last year in  6:06.  My goal is to finish the race but I want to be prepared and enjoy the day.  I did another HIM in August last year and bonked on the run and did not enjoy the day.  I'd rather not do that again, but that was mostly due to not following my nutrition plan.

I have a wife and two kids and one on the way, so my training time is kind of limited but I will put the time in necessary to do well.

Any advice is welcome.

2010-12-20 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3255273

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Subject: RE: BT Ironman Training Plans
I used the beginner plan for my 1st IM, and believe me, if you stick to it you will do fine.
2010-12-20 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
I used the beginner plan for my 1st IM, and believe me, if you stick to it you will do fine.
2010-12-21 3:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
harleyclone - 2010-12-20 2:04 PM I am doing IM Wisconsin this year and am trying to determine which plan to use.  I am debating between the Beginner Ironman w/HR 20 weeks and the Intermediate IM plan with HRM.  Anyone out there have any luck with one versus the other, or any advise as to which one.  The intermediate plan actually looks like less volume than the Beginner plan.

This is my first IM and I did HIM Kansas last year in  6:06.  My goal is to finish the race but I want to be prepared and enjoy the day.  I did another HIM in August last year and bonked on the run and did not enjoy the day.  I'd rather not do that again, but that was mostly due to not following my nutrition plan.

I have a wife and two kids and one on the way, so my training time is kind of limited but I will put the time in necessary to do well.

Hey Harley Clone, your background sounds identical to mine.  My first 70.3 was also Kansas, which I did in 09 and 10 with a finishing time this year of 5:57, so we are right in the same ballpark on level of competition.  My first full IM was last month at IM Florida and I trained with the BT Intermediate plan.  Having a 70.3 under your belt, I think you will be happy going with the Intermediate plan, as like you, I was afraid of either (1) over-doing it by pretending I was farther along than I was and picking an Intermediate level plan; or (2) selling myself short by opting for the Beginner plan.  I don't think the Intermediate plan will in any way make you regret your decision for picking the middle level of the available plans.  It will absolutely get you comfortably to the finish line and able to enjoy your celebration and the next few days afterwards without walking like you don't have knees My goal was under 14 hours and I came in at 13:29 and felt prepared for the day and was more than able to enjoy an extra few days in Florida with my wife and family.   

My only deviation from the plan was on the swim distances.  I can only get my swims in over lunch, and I think the Intermediate plan is a little heavy on the swim distances for a longer duration of the overall plan.  Depending on your swim background, you can probably transfer a bit of that swim time over to a few more longer rides or bricks.  Best of luck in your training, enjoy every minute of it.

2010-12-22 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3256646

User image

Veteran
Iowa
CJ: 

Did you find that the long run / bike every other weekend was a good mix for you??  The beginner plan is really heavy on the bike portion and I don't want to get injured, but was liking the fact that the long run and long bike rotated every weekend on the intermediate plan. 

The beginner plan looks to be very bike heavy, which is good, but I just don't want to get injured.  Also, did you feel the weekly hours were enough to have a good race. 

Any info would be great. 
2010-12-22 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
I did like the rotating weekends between long run and long bike.  Like, you I have a wife and little ones at home to, and it made life much more manageable not to be gone for an entire Saturday and Sunday doing a run and a bike.  The runs I got up super early to do so that I was done when everyone was getting up.  For my long rides, which if you add them up, are about 5 or 6, I actually took some Fridays off of work, or half days and did them then.  Not sure of your work schedule but I had some PTO building up I had to use so I put it to use.  This really freed up the weekend day that was scheduled for a long ride.

With respect to getting to the finish, I really felt prepared for my race day.  As I said, my goal was under 14 so I wasn't training for a Kona slot or to set the world on fire.  I wanted to safely beat midnight by several hours but to have fun at the same time.  I crossed the finish line and felt good (not hey let's go do this again in the morning) but my legs still functioned and I was able to spend some quality time in the days aftewards   If part way through the plan you are feeling light on rides, and a few more in, but for me, the plan seemed to work pretty well.  One thing I did modify was on my Monday to Friday lighter workouts if it called for an hour run, I would ride on my trainer for 10 minutes and run for 50.  Likewise, if it was an hour or so ride, I would cut it short by 10 to 15 minutes and do a run.  I really think those small bricks, helped on training the legs to switch over as my biggest problem in year one of the IMKS 70.3 were my legs feeling like logs ...

Happy to pass along anything else from my experience.  Good luck.

2010-12-22 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3257969

User image

Veteran
Iowa
CJ:

Thanks for all of the help.  I agree the bricks are something that I am going to need more work on.  great idea for doing small ones with each workout during the week.  Like you, I am hoping to beat the finish by a couple of hours if possible and enjoy the day.  I don't want to go through what I felt like in my last HIM.  It was brutally hot and my nutrition plan was not built for that and I bonked on the run.  I need to dial in my nutrition when my training gets  underway.

Are you going to do Kansas again this year??  I think I am planning on doing that one again.  I really would like to get under that 6 hour mark.  Where are you located in KS??
2010-12-22 10:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Yea, my 2011 plan includes Kansas again as well.  Just as a point of reference, the first year I did IMKS, I finished in 6:32, and in 2010 I finished in 5:57, so getting under 6 is well within your grasp.  I felt so much more knowledgeable in year 2. 

I am in the Kansas City area, live in Shawnee.  Keep in touch if you come down for any of those training days they had last year for riding the course.  At least you shouldn't have to worry about the heat for IMWI ...
2010-12-23 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3258533

User image

Veteran
Iowa
We did the training day last year and will probably do it again this year.  We actually stopped in Shawnee to pick up a back for another guy.  I know a few people that live in that area.  I'm just up the road outside Council Bluffs.
2010-12-25 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3255575

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

titeloops - 2010-12-20 7:25 PM I used the beginner plan for my 1st IM, and believe me, if you stick to it you will do fine.

X2

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT Ironman Training Plans Rss Feed