General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st 70.3 planning, need advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-21 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri
Subject: 1st 70.3 planning, need advice

Hi All, I’m rather new to Tri. Several Sprints and one Oly under my belt so far. I’m a BOP finisher.

I need some advice. I’m thinking of doing my first 70.3 I was looking at the Racine 70.3, but I’m already registered for the Chattanooga Oly distance the weekend before.  It is totally crazy to attempt that 70.3? Could I go ez in  Chattanooga and use that as a warm-up?

I also thought about the Lake Geneva 70.3 on Sept 11. But I don’t know anything about how popular or organized it is. Any info?

My other option is to do Branson 70.3. But frankly the hills down there scare me. And I’d have to pass on the Chicago Marathon.

I’ll be doing the Trinona as a Oly earlier in the year.

ANY advice you all have will be much appreciated.

Thanks! Don

2010-12-21 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3255978

User image

NH
Subject: RE: 1st 70.3 planning, need advice
An Oly the weekend before an HIM sounds crazy to me.  You should be well into taper and getting your body ready for the 70.3.  That distance is a serious event. 

The best I could see with the oly would be a supported training day, but why would you do one so close to your actual "A" race?  Pick one or the other.  And good luck on the HIM, it's a great accomplishment.
2010-12-21 9:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stuart
Can it be done yes. Some pros do back to back full IM. If you are asking Im guessing you are not at the training level that an oly distance is an easy training day. Doing your first 70.3 is probably your A race. You want to be 100%. It would be a great tune up distance a month out but not a week out. Last thing you want is to put in the work to do a half and be sore or worse injured from racing the week before. Good Luck
2010-12-23 12:48 AM

User image

Indianapolis
I need some advice. I’m thinking of doing my first 70.3 I was looking at the Racine 70.3, but I’m already registered for the Chattanooga Oly distance the weekend before.  It is totally crazy to attempt that 70.3? Could I go ez in  Chattanooga and use that as a warm-up?

Maybe see about getting money back for Chatt, and put that towards Racine? With you race history (only 1 Oly) I would say that an Oly race would take more than its fare share out of you towards your FIRST 70.3. Although, If you were to go and log crazy hours from now til then and go into the Chattanooga race with the intention of it being just a training day, then that might work... but only if your training hours and plan line up with that.

I also thought about the Lake Geneva 70.3 on Sept 11. But I don’t know anything about how popular or organized it is. Any info?

There are some race reports on here that don't sound like its a very well organized race. I've never done it, but if you are looking for a race that weekend... Try Rev3 Cedar Point. I've done it, and enjoyed it.

My other option is to do Branson 70.3. But frankly the hills down there scare me. And I’d have to pass on the Chicago Marathon.

It's a long time from now til then, plenty of enough time to train for the hills. Also, Chicago didn't sound like it was very much fun this year .

I’ll be doing the Trinona as a Oly earlier in the year.

You might want to wait and see how this Oly goes before making your final decision on the back to backs.

ANY advice you all have will be much appreciated. Thanks! Don

I personally wouldn't want to do back to back weekend's like that. There are quite a few 70.3 (HIM) races around that you should be able to pull one up without making it the week after your Oly. Also, you have to think about what you will have in your tank mentally for the HIM if you go out and do the Oly. Racing takes a toll on your mental state, as well as your physical being.

2010-12-23 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

Thanks for the advice. It will either be Branson or Cedar Point.  I have time to decide.

CP works towards my goal of a Tri in each of the Great Lakes.  While Branson is about half the drive time and I can do it with my youngest Daughter and Son-in-law. But the hills in Branson…oh my, I don’t know. Surprised

2010-12-23 9:54 PM

User image

Veteran
The Nation's Frosty Capital
Use he Olympic as a warm up for the other. Restrain your effort and complete it at about 80% of a true race pace.   It'll be a nice confidence booster going into the HIM.

I do these kinds of pairings in the summer a lot.  As long as you don't 'compete' on the first, you'll be fine on the second event.

Of course, if you race both, you'll have a %$#@ of a time in the HIM...unless you are one of the gifted.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st 70.3 planning, need advice Rss Feed