General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill vs running outside - Long Runs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-26 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Treadmill vs running outside - Long Runs

Since I'm not a fan of the cold and don't mind running on the treadmill I was wondering of there's a benefit to using the belt over the ashphalt.

I don't have injuries or knee problems and would like to keep it that way.  At the gym they have some nice treadmills with a little bounce to them so that reduces the impact a bit.

I have a Marathon planned for April and a HIM planned for June.

If I do most training during say Jan-Feb on the treadmill will something be lost in terms of performance?  When the temp is above say 35 deg F I definitely will go outdoors so it's not like all training will be on the treadmill.

I normally put the incline at 1% minimum and can adjust up for hill "equivalents" etc.

I can tolerate long runs on the treadmill so specifically what about long runs on the treadmill.  Any real negatives there?

2010-12-26 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3261878

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: Treadmill vs running outside - Long Runs

For most purposes, distance is distance and treadmill training is perfectly fine training.

What gets a lot of people wrapped around the axle is trying to compare treadmill run times to outdoor run times.  They try the 1% incline bit, they adjust percentages, and so on and IMHO it's just a huge waste of time.  It's far easier to train by time and HR on the treadmill, and more or less ignore the pace and distance. 

Treadmills are also great for HR-based intervals, either by increasing pace or by increasing the incline (which works well to replicate hill repeats).

When you do get outside, you'll find the treadmill runs worked well for you.  Your pace may be a different - either faster or slower, literally your mileage may vary - but that's really not important.

2010-12-26 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3261909

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
brucemorgan - 2010-12-26 1:10 PM

For most purposes, distance is distance and treadmill training is perfectly fine training.

What gets a lot of people wrapped around the axle is trying to compare treadmill run times to outdoor run times.  They try the 1% incline bit, they adjust percentages, and so on and IMHO it's just a huge waste of time.  It's far easier to train by time and HR on the treadmill, and more or less ignore the pace and distance. 

Treadmills are also great for HR-based intervals, either by increasing pace or by increasing the incline (which works well to replicate hill repeats).

When you do get outside, you'll find the treadmill runs worked well for you.  Your pace may be a different - either faster or slower, literally your mileage may vary - but that's really not important.

Thanks Bruce,  yeah I think training by time/HR is probably the best way to do.  I don't train by HR yet even though I own a Timex IM watch w/HRM and also just got a Garmig 305.

I do record times/pace etc. from the treadmill runs but just for record keeping.  I agree it would be a waste of time to compare TM running to outdoors.  As a comparison it would be interesting to run say 10 miles outdoors, record average HR and compare that to a 10 mile TM run at 1%, just for experimental purposes.
2010-12-26 3:32 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I trained for a spring marathon last winter and I would guess that 80% of my workouts from December to March were done on the treadmill. I do lots of interval workouts using commercials as the time interval. I also vary the incline as well as the pace to keep it more interesting. My longest treadmill run to date is 18 miles and it was not that bad.

I find that my pace on the treadmill almost exactly replicates my outdoor pace.
2010-12-26 3:45 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Benefit of running on TM is that you get your runs in, compared to not running due to cold....win for TM.

I have in the past done quite a few runs on TM over winter. Often will swim then do shorter TM run. I have done 3 hour TM runs training for IM and even brought a cooler with extra fluid with me.

I have been struggling with some injury issues and seems TM makes them flair so I try to run outside for my runs.
2010-12-26 3:50 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
IMO, there is no significant advantage or disadvantage to running on the treadmill.

I agree that getting the runs in beats not getting them in.  For me, the calculus goes the other way -- I'm much more likely to bag a run if my only option is a treadmill (this is rare, but can happen when traveling).  I just can't stand them, and I'll run outdoors in just about any conditions, if I have the right gear available.  But if it works the other way for you, then yeah, run on the treadmill!

2010-12-26 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I've found that TM gait is ever so slightly different from being outdoors. For short runs it's not a big deal. For longer runs, it's good to work up to them on the TM (don't just hop on and do 15 miles) just like you would outside.

I've also found that speed and HR are pretty consistent with my outdoor running. Definitely better than not running at all and just as good as being outside.
2010-12-26 4:20 PM

User image

Master
I am using the Galloway run-walk-run to train for an HM in March and HIM in September.
I have been using the Treadmill for my short runs but now that I am over an hour and a half I have to do my long runs outdoors since the ones at the gym shut off after 90 minutes.
I did find that my outdoor pace was about 45 seconds faster / mile. Not a  lot but definitley a comfort of sorts.
2010-12-26 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
I don't see any problem with you running on a TM.  The key is that you don't mind using them.  Personally, I can't stand the TM and would rather run in the snow and use the TM as last resort when its really storming.  However, unless you're running a completely flat mary, I would recommend some changes in incline.  This will probably keep things a bit more entertaining as well.

Best of luck.
2010-12-26 7:32 PM

User image

Veteran
NAF Atsugi Japan,Medford OR.
TM will never replace hitting the road!  Be that as it may, TM is better than nothing and can actually be a great traning tool when doing fartleks, repeats etc. I use the TM after long sessions in the pool for transitions and it works great.  Good luck!
2010-12-26 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Thank you all for your input.  The sun was out today and winds were mild so I HTFU'd it and ran a little over 9 miles, think the temp was 27 degrees F.  I bought some wool socks, called SMART WOOL or something like that.  Feet were much warmer than yesterday.

What I gather from most is that the TM won't take away from the training if used intelligently.

One thing about running in the cold, very peaceful and very little traffic on the path.  Saw ONE running out there and  he was wearing SHORTS!  He must have been from up north somewhere.  There were probably a few piglets in the gym today working off yesterdays dinner.  Oh well, I definitely was not distracted during todays run.

2010-12-27 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
I'm not a fan of winter either.  I don't mind running in the cold, but in the snow/ice is a different story.  I'm always paranoid that I'll twist an ankle on some hidden rut or something.  Yesterday I ran 10 mile in 18*F (3*F windchill) and the only thing that was cold was my face a little.  But I ran in a different city where there was no snow so I didn't mind.

I use the TM for my sprint/interval workouts and some of the tempo runs, but I'll try & do 95% of my run runs outside. 
2010-12-27 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3262640

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
RVachon - 2010-12-27 10:06 AM I don't mind running in the cold, but in the snow/ice is a different story.

I agree about the ice, but I love going for a run in fresh fallen snow!  Not that it snows a lot in Charlotte, but yesterday morning I was out the door at 5 with the snow still falling.  Very quiet and peaceful - I loved it.

Echo what others are saying about the treadmill.  I still prefer the outside, but give me a tv and an interesting movie and I'll run on a treadmill for a long time if necessary.  Once knocked out a 20 miler while training for Boston because of ice outside.

Good luck.
2010-12-27 1:16 PM

New user
I have been doing quite a bit of treadmill running, I hate the cold Frown, plus I can run next to my fiance. I am a heavy heel striker, so running on the treadmill lets me get some miles in with a lot less impact on the body.

I have been playing with the random incline feature on the treadmills at my gym. What kind of incline is equivilent to what you would see in the real world in a tri or a running race? Should you aim for a little higher than what you would see in the real world? Should you mix up 'flat' runs (or 1%) with incline runs?

I am in central New England and it is pretty difficult to find a flat run outdoors.
2010-12-27 2:37 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
used to run on a TM but finally grew a pair and went outside.

lately its been extremely cold in miami.  mid 30's here is pretty bad.  also the summer is no picnic....90+ degrees 100% humidity its so hot your pace will slow down about 1 min+. 

there is just no substitute.  imo impact on the treadmill is still there and running outside is alot less boring also.  unless you have concentration of steel and can watch a show from start to finish. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill vs running outside - Long Runs Rss Feed