General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-07-17 4:12 AM
in reply to: #3262258

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread
It was great to meet some of you last night! Good luck everyone...enjoy your day!

2011-07-17 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
I hope everybody had a good race. I dropped after the bike. Decided to use some common sense for once. Heat got me on the bike. Those were some horrible roads to ride on.
2011-07-17 4:37 PM

Master
Northern IL
There were quite a few people in the med tent.
2011-07-17 5:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
That was brutally hot today.  I hope that everyone took caution and took care of themselves. 
2011-07-17 8:48 PM

Master
Northern IL
I only watched, but still managed to lose a few pounds in spite of taking in at least 3L of water and some food.
2011-07-17 9:43 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Survived my first HIM.  It was very hot on the run.  I was very pleased with my swim and bike, but the run was a sufferfest.  Thank goodness for the wonderful residents of Racine who had their hoses on to cool us off during the brutal run.  Other than being sore and sunburned, I feel pretty good.  Of course it hasn't been 24 hours yet.  We'll see how I feel when I wake up in the morning.  Congrats to everyone who participated and volunteered.  Hope you all stayed hydrated!!  

2011-07-18 7:07 AM

Veteran

I had a perfect swim with pacing, a perfect bike (took it slower but not too slow so I have plenty left for the run), hydrated perfectly with nutrition...AND COMPLETELY tanked the run. Seriously felt paralyzed for a bit, should have stopped but I have IM WI in two months. If I cant finish yesterday...then im in trouble, so I finished with a brutal brutal brutal run.

2011-07-18 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Small Town

Hey All,  congrats on finishing Racine!  It was crazy hot!

I am fortunate to also say that I rocked my swim; for those who know me - that's been my limiter for YEARS!  This year I've given my swims some serious attention (coach and all).  I took 5 minutes off of my swim from last year, so I'm pretty stoked!

I intended to ride the bike a bit easier in hopes to kill the run.  I ended up riding a lot slower than last year and had a hard time on the run from the time I left T2.  Not happy about that as I felt like I pre-planned for the hot run with nutrition and even some intentional hot runs (including putting my treadmill in my sunny driveway on hot days so I wouldn't feel the wind.

All in all, I am happy with this race, my second HIM. My wife and I are running the Warrior Dash on the 30th and then early next month I have a sprint tri.  Marathon in October and then I hope to be doing Rev3 Cedar Point half this year. 

I'm greatful for the opportunity to meet several of you at dinner Saturday night!   You are all such an inspiration with your stories of how you fell into this sport!  I wish you the best for the rest of this year!  Rest well and I hope to see you all again soon!

2011-07-18 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

Congrats to everyone who raced yesterday!! Conditions were tough, but it wouldn't any fun if the weather was perfect.   

It was my first Half Ironman AND my first half marathon.  I had a great swim and felt good on the bike.  The first loop of the run course was ok, but I melted on the second loop.  I had to walk three or four times.  Despite all of that, I was pretty close to my goal time of 6:30 taking just eleven extra minutes.

I was glad to see the new pavement out on 5 Mile Road, but the stretch out west was still horrible.  One of the screws on my torpedo bottle mount came loose shortly after that section of road and drove me crazy the entire rest of the ride.  Lesson learned - I'm using Loctite on those screws from now on. 

Again, congrats to everyone who raced. 

2011-07-18 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3601435

User image

Regular
SE Wisconsin
outdoorWI - 2011-07-18 9:34 AM

Congrats to everyone who raced yesterday!! Conditions were tough, but it wouldn't any fun if the weather was perfect.   

It was my first Half Ironman AND my first half marathon.  I had a great swim and felt good on the bike.  The first loop of the run course was ok, but I melted on the second loop.  I had to walk three or four times.  Despite all of that, I was pretty close to my goal time of 6:30 taking just eleven extra minutes.

I was glad to see the new pavement out on 5 Mile Road, but the stretch out west was still horrible.  One of the screws on my torpedo bottle mount came loose shortly after that section of road and drove me crazy the entire rest of the ride.  Lesson learned - I'm using Loctite on those screws from now on. 

Again, congrats to everyone who raced. 

Same here!  Congrats everyone for surviving.  The swim was great, bike felt good (though I started to feel the heat by the last third).  I also ended up walking several times on the "run".  I think next I want to try a standalone half-marathon so that I can say I actually "ran" one.  I hear you on the rough roads.  My mini-pump popped right out of its clip somewhere out west of the I.  Good thing I did not have to change a flat.  I will carry CO2 from now on.

2011-07-18 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Congrats to all the racers in tough conditions!  

I would like to give some props to WTC and HFP racing for all the water / ice / medical support on course.  Excellent job of managing the conditions and doing everything possible to make sure everybody stayed as Safe as Possible.  

I think I melted on the run..... 

2011-07-18 11:00 AM

User image

New user
Springfield, IL

Congrats on all the finishers! I had a GREAT race!

1.2 mi swim in 40:39, that's a 1:55/100 yds! Had an awesome swim. Stayed toward the back and tried to keep out of other peoples way. I did not want to get knocked around at all. I think I pretty much accomplished that. Started drafting some girl that was doing about the same pace, maybe a little faster than me at about half way thru and just cruised with her all the way in. Not worn out at all after the swim. Felt great, and the water wasn't all that cold. Felt pretty good actually.

18.7 mph average for the bike. I'm ok with that. I was just smiling the entire way and had so much fun, I didn't care about my speed. I just had a blast out there with all the other racers. Not in a hurry at all cause I wanted to save some for the run and I just wanted to pace like I would in the Ironman next month. After all, this is the practice run for that! I think I'm ready!

Oh, I had such an awesome run! My plan was to go out on the first loop nice and steady but overall an easy pace. I promised myself that I would kick it up a notch the second half. That's exactly what I did! I just cruised in at a 9:45 pace or so for the first half, then I kicked it up a lot on the second half. I ended up with 9:34 pace overall. I'm happy with it considering it's my first half iron. I think the smartest thing I did today was bring a water bottle with me on the run. I just stopped by all the aid stations and filled up with nice cold ice water and was on my merry way. No walking the aid stations for this girl! I kicked it in hard at the last 2 miles and I'm so freaking proud of that! Overall a great race! Overall time 5:51:27. 23rd place in my age group out of 94 that showed up. I'm happy!!! P.S. Everyone loved my pigtails with ribbons! It's my trademark!

It was so much fun meeting some of you at the dinner! My husband and step-son like it too! They had leftovers for lunch during the race! Yum!

2011-07-18 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish

I'm so glad everyone made it through in one piece, and some even with smiles.  Me, not so much.  The virus my family had last week reared it's head on me yesterday so I was feeling kind of under the weather before the race even started.  Both my calves cramped on the swim so I was lost a few minutes hanging with a lifeguard and trying to get my legs to unlock.  By the time I got out of the water my legs were already sore but I thought I could get through it if I really took things easy so I headed out of transition, dropped my chain and bit it on the hill.  Got back up and kept going but was starting to wonder if I was nuts. 

I did fine up until mile 20 but after that my average took a nosedive even though my effort and heart rate stayed steady.  I had to ditch my nutrition plan because my gels and food were making me nauseous.  At 34 miles, with no aid station in sight, I stopped at the side of the road to assess my situation and prompted puked.  A support bike came along and helped me to the aid station (right around the corner of course) where I decided to pull out before I put myself in the hospital. 

Congrats to everyone who conquered the heat and crossed the finish line yesterday!  For the rest of us there's always next year, or even Steelhead next month for those of us who are that brave/stupid.

2011-07-18 12:11 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Pretty much died yesterday. Was in and out of it on the run and one medical cart followed me for a bit. Collapsed at the finish and was given 2 IV's, felt better after that. Not sure what went wrong but right out of T2 I just knew I was in for a long run/walk. Saw Dave and Suzy killing the run course, may have seen some others but I do not remember all of it. And a big props to RD for everything running as smooth as it could possibly go given the conditions.
2011-07-18 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin

The disappointment of my first DNS was a distant memory as I began marking athletes outside the transition area. Armed with my trusty sharpie I took pride in marking arms and legs and sending them on their way with a “have a great race today”. Saw some people I knew and saw some people that our short 10-20 seconds was plenty of time together, but also saw many more that I would have liked to known better. You could just see how many great stories and various forms of motivation were behind these great men and women.

Like most today I was not perfect , I took the word of an athlete on his number only to find out it wasn’t his after the marker had dried , we fixed it and went on.  I appreciated those that came back to me for a remark after they realized the sun screen and wiped out my earlier work. This interaction was a great part of the day.

The bike mount area was a constant flurry of activity and just as almost all of the bikes were out on the course the pros came back. At this point I moved my attention to the run course and had a wardrobe change from volunteer to full time supporter and cow bell ringer.

After some ringing and running into some familiar faces of other support  crews I departed the race to pick up our kids. I took the boys down to another viewing area on the bike course and saw some great athletes out on the bike course. The police were doing their thing and we do ours (sans cowbell) until the boys had enough clapping.

Walked back down to the portion of the run course behind the zoo and observed  some of the carnage as well as inspiration. I was positioned in the flat spot of the path between the downhill and uphill and began ringing the cowbell  every time an athlete was in sight, after a few minutes I noticed a guy hunch over and so I walked over and asked if he was ok, he said he was dizzy and didn’t feel good, I gave him my water and told him we would walk up the hill together  to the aid station. The mood for me (at least) was tense, he looked bad and it was just us out there. Between pouring water on his head and small talk we made it to the aid station, I didn’t get his bib number but his name was Diego and hope he made it to the end after his break. He thanked me numerous times and we parted ways. I resumed my spot and saw hundreds of triathletes smiling , giving the thumbs up, cracking cowbell jokes, it was great banter between me and them even if for just for a few seconds.

Then I saw the women who was competing with an prosthetic left leg, simply amazing , all I could do was put my cowbell down and clap, she stopped just prior to the incline to adjust for what was going to be a tough stretch getting up the steep incline.

After her there were more triathletes doing everything they could to keep on going.

I then saw the fireman completing the run course with his fire suit on and again was amazed and what he was doing.

To all those competeing yesterday, thank you for a great day and for the inspiration you provide.

2011-07-18 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Here is a quick recap of my first Half-Ironman: I finished, however do not have an official time.. here's what happened. Swim was fabulous, then the bike came...

Racine's fabulous roads plus this insane heat made for an interesting day. At mile 24, my tire blew out (yes, tire, not tube)..remember those orange colored CAUTION BUMPS AHEAD? they got me.. The tire went with a LOUD pop and looked shredded by the time I stopped. I fully expected to go flying, but surprisingly, was ok. I thought I was done, but was told there was a girl on a moped driving around with tires and bike parts. Given the choice of either throwing in the towel and going home and finishing whatever it took, and possibly not getting a time, the decision was easy.... I just couldn't go home with a DNF and nothing else, it would have been gut-wrenching. So i told the volunteer that I'm staying until the tire comes, no matter how long it took. Waited an HOUR-in the blistering heat, no shade, no water, finished 32 miles with a police office patroling so i wouldn't get lost.

By the time I got to transition area, two things were happening simultaneously: the volunteers were going nuts yelling, "You are a hero! You made it!!!!!!" and the race official saying, "im sorry you didn't made the bike cutoff. I'll take your timing chip now" (i think i missed it by about 15 min?). I told him I'm running anyway, because I wanted to finish the race.

Everybody was on the second run loop by the time I started, so constantly hearing, "you are almost done!!" didn't help. Seeing the inflatable Ironman finish arch and knowing I won't go through it officially was brutal. I was actually heading to the turn around to start second loop when i realized I was in the finish chute now. Stopped, turned around and left the chute in tears to go run the second loop in tears. Brutal. Course got officially closed when I had 4 miles left. Signed a little waiver releasing Ironman of whatever can happen to me... But I finished.

Brutal heat, VERY difficult day, both physically and emotionally, but I did finish. By the time I was done, the arch was almost dismantled, so I ran through the metal carcass. I DID finish, right? The guy taking stuff down looked at me and said, "Did you just finish???" I said, "Yeah". He gave me a (kind of dirty) finisher hat and said he'd mail me the medal lol

It was a tough day. DNF and go home was not an option... I feel that I did the best I could given my options today. My goal was Just To Finish, and well.. I did finish. So I have to be proud of The Finish. Next time I'll be more specific about the finish time, eh?

2011-07-18 1:49 PM

User image

New user

NE Illinois

Does anyone know how to get the full results for the race? A search of my age group only shows the first 100 of 130, with no obvious way to view the rest of the results. I am curious how many of the 130 actually finished so I can get a better idea of my relative place.

I had a pretty good day for me (S 41:21, B 2:49:51, R 2:10:19, Total 5:49:30) and I know I finished 27th in M50-54, but I wouldn't mind knowing 27th out of how many finishers?

I have sent my question to the race organizers, but who knows how long it will take for them to respond.

2011-07-18 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3602000

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

Lyoshka - 2011-07-18 1:35 PM Here is a quick recap of my first Half-Ironman: I finished, however do not have an official time.. here's what happened. Swim was fabulous, then the bike came... Racine's fabulous roads plus this insane heat made for an interesting day. At mile 24, my tire blew out (yes, tire, not tube)..remember those orange colored CAUTION BUMPS AHEAD? they got me.. The tire went with a LOUD pop and looked shredded by the time I stopped. I fully expected to go flying, but surprisingly, was ok. I thought I was done, but was told there was a girl on a moped driving around with tires and bike parts. Given the choice of either throwing in the towel and going home and finishing whatever it took, and possibly not getting a time, the decision was easy.... I just couldn't go home with a DNF and nothing else, it would have been gut-wrenching. So i told the volunteer that I'm staying until the tire comes, no matter how long it took. Waited an HOUR-in the blistering heat, no shade, no water, finished 32 miles with a police office patroling so i wouldn't get lost. By the time I got to transition area, two things were happening simultaneously: the volunteers were going nuts yelling, "You are a hero! You made it!!!!!!" and the race official saying, "im sorry you didn't made the bike cutoff. I'll take your timing chip now" (i think i missed it by about 15 min?). I told him I'm running anyway, because I wanted to finish the race. Everybody was on the second run loop by the time I started, so constantly hearing, "you are almost done!!" didn't help. Seeing the inflatable Ironman finish arch and knowing I won't go through it officially was brutal. I was actually heading to the turn around to start second loop when i realized I was in the finish chute now. Stopped, turned around and left the chute in tears to go run the second loop in tears. Brutal. Course got officially closed when I had 4 miles left. Signed a little waiver releasing Ironman of whatever can happen to me... But I finished. Brutal heat, VERY difficult day, both physically and emotionally, but I did finish. By the time I was done, the arch was almost dismantled, so I ran through the metal carcass. I DID finish, right? The guy taking stuff down looked at me and said, "Did you just finish???" I said, "Yeah". He gave me a (kind of dirty) finisher hat and said he'd mail me the medal lol It was a tough day. DNF and go home was not an option... I feel that I did the best I could given my options today. My goal was Just To Finish, and well.. I did finish. So I have to be proud of The Finish. Next time I'll be more specific about the finish time, eh?

Wow!  Amazing story.  Way to hang in there, especially on your first try, and get it done.  Super impressive.  You are a finisher in my book!  Congratulations

2011-07-18 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3602196

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
marathongirl11 - 2011-07-18 2:01 PM

Lyoshka - 2011-07-18 1:35 PM Here is a quick recap of my first Half-Ironman: I finished, however do not have an official time.. here's what happened. Swim was fabulous, then the bike came... Racine's fabulous roads plus this insane heat made for an interesting day. At mile 24, my tire blew out (yes, tire, not tube)..remember those orange colored CAUTION BUMPS AHEAD? they got me.. The tire went with a LOUD pop and looked shredded by the time I stopped. I fully expected to go flying, but surprisingly, was ok. I thought I was done, but was told there was a girl on a moped driving around with tires and bike parts. Given the choice of either throwing in the towel and going home and finishing whatever it took, and possibly not getting a time, the decision was easy.... I just couldn't go home with a DNF and nothing else, it would have been gut-wrenching. So i told the volunteer that I'm staying until the tire comes, no matter how long it took. Waited an HOUR-in the blistering heat, no shade, no water, finished 32 miles with a police office patroling so i wouldn't get lost. By the time I got to transition area, two things were happening simultaneously: the volunteers were going nuts yelling, "You are a hero! You made it!!!!!!" and the race official saying, "im sorry you didn't made the bike cutoff. I'll take your timing chip now" (i think i missed it by about 15 min?). I told him I'm running anyway, because I wanted to finish the race. Everybody was on the second run loop by the time I started, so constantly hearing, "you are almost done!!" didn't help. Seeing the inflatable Ironman finish arch and knowing I won't go through it officially was brutal. I was actually heading to the turn around to start second loop when i realized I was in the finish chute now. Stopped, turned around and left the chute in tears to go run the second loop in tears. Brutal. Course got officially closed when I had 4 miles left. Signed a little waiver releasing Ironman of whatever can happen to me... But I finished. Brutal heat, VERY difficult day, both physically and emotionally, but I did finish. By the time I was done, the arch was almost dismantled, so I ran through the metal carcass. I DID finish, right? The guy taking stuff down looked at me and said, "Did you just finish???" I said, "Yeah". He gave me a (kind of dirty) finisher hat and said he'd mail me the medal lol It was a tough day. DNF and go home was not an option... I feel that I did the best I could given my options today. My goal was Just To Finish, and well.. I did finish. So I have to be proud of The Finish. Next time I'll be more specific about the finish time, eh?

Wow!  Amazing story.  Way to hang in there, especially on your first try, and get it done.  Super impressive.  You are a finisher in my book!  Congratulations

X2, I am inspired by your will to preservere Lena!  Kudos

2011-07-18 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3602174

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
The Magic Rat - 2011-07-18 1:49 PM

Does anyone know how to get the full results for the race? A search of my age group only shows the first 100 of 130, with no obvious way to view the rest of the results. I am curious how many of the 130 actually finished so I can get a better idea of my relative place.

I had a pretty good day for me (S 41:21, B 2:49:51, R 2:10:19, Total 5:49:30) and I know I finished 27th in M50-54, but I wouldn't mind knowing 27th out of how many finishers?

I have sent my question to the race organizers, but who knows how long it will take for them to respond.

I don't know how to get the next page for full results either, however, if you filter results by the M50-54 group, it shows a total of 130 participants.  

It also shows a total of 2150 participants in the Race.  

Nice Job!  

2011-07-18 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3602000

User image

Extreme Veteran

Lyoshka - 2011-07-18 12:35 PM Here is a quick recap of my first Half-Ironman: I finished, however do not have an official time.. here's what happened. Swim was fabulous, then the bike came... Racine's fabulous roads plus this insane heat made for an interesting day. At mile 24, my tire blew out (yes, tire, not tube)..remember those orange colored CAUTION BUMPS AHEAD? they got me.. The tire went with a LOUD pop and looked shredded by the time I stopped. I fully expected to go flying, but surprisingly, was ok. I thought I was done, but was told there was a girl on a moped driving around with tires and bike parts. Given the choice of either throwing in the towel and going home and finishing whatever it took, and possibly not getting a time, the decision was easy.... I just couldn't go home with a DNF and nothing else, it would have been gut-wrenching. So i told the volunteer that I'm staying until the tire comes, no matter how long it took. Waited an HOUR-in the blistering heat, no shade, no water, finished 32 miles with a police office patroling so i wouldn't get lost. By the time I got to transition area, two things were happening simultaneously: the volunteers were going nuts yelling, "You are a hero! You made it!!!!!!" and the race official saying, "im sorry you didn't made the bike cutoff. I'll take your timing chip now" (i think i missed it by about 15 min?). I told him I'm running anyway, because I wanted to finish the race. Everybody was on the second run loop by the time I started, so constantly hearing, "you are almost done!!" didn't help. Seeing the inflatable Ironman finish arch and knowing I won't go through it officially was brutal. I was actually heading to the turn around to start second loop when i realized I was in the finish chute now. Stopped, turned around and left the chute in tears to go run the second loop in tears. Brutal. Course got officially closed when I had 4 miles left. Signed a little waiver releasing Ironman of whatever can happen to me... But I finished. Brutal heat, VERY difficult day, both physically and emotionally, but I did finish. By the time I was done, the arch was almost dismantled, so I ran through the metal carcass. I DID finish, right? The guy taking stuff down looked at me and said, "Did you just finish???" I said, "Yeah". He gave me a (kind of dirty) finisher hat and said he'd mail me the medal lol It was a tough day. DNF and go home was not an option... I feel that I did the best I could given my options today. My goal was Just To Finish, and well.. I did finish. So I have to be proud of The Finish. Next time I'll be more specific about the finish time, eh?

Great job.  I totally blew up on the bike and was at about mile 5 on the run when you came down the road with the police escort.  I heard someone on the side of the road say "here comes the last biker" and then all kinds of people started cheering you.  You were like all "thanks..." and gracious.  It took a lot to stick with it yesterday.  I remember looking at you and thinking, if she can keep going, I can keep going.  I never have time goals or get upset about how I do in these things, but yesterday was brutal.  Like you, it became about just finishing. 

Serious great job!

2011-07-18 6:00 PM

User image

New user

Springfield

I'm new to BT - but been reading along during training for Ironman 70.3 Racine.  I really enjoyed meeting the BT people at Salute's in Racine, and have to say feel pretty darn excited about finishing my first HIM, along with training partner Anne (abake).  I met some really inspirational and friendly people and look forward to tackling this distance again.  

2011-07-19 6:05 AM
in reply to: #3602274

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
badgerintx - 2011-07-18 2:31 PM
The Magic Rat - 2011-07-18 1:49 PM

I don't know how to get the next page for full results either, however, if you filter results by the M50-54 group, it shows a total of 130 participants.  

It also shows a total of 2150 participants in the Race.  

Nice Job!  

I think the 2150 includes the DNF and maybe DNS.  I also emailed them and asked them to make results available on onlineraceresults.com where you can see all the results.  The 2010 Racine results are there as are the 2011 Vineman results.

I got a 2nd place age group trophy (very pretty) even though my time was really awful.  There were only 3 in my age group and one was a DNF.

Denise

2011-07-19 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3601605

User image

Chicago
I never thought I would say this... but thank God I lived (and trained) in Texas for eleven years...  It was HOT out there.  And Thank God for all the volunteers and the locals with hoses.  My shoes were sopping wet, but it was worth it!

Anyone know which way the current was going?  My Dad made a mention we were swimming into a 15 knot current but I told him he was CRAZY.   

Also, when/ where do pictures get posted?  

I hope everyone had a good and safe race day! 
2011-07-19 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3603813

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

SHLD2005 - 2011-07-19 10:41 AM I never thought I would say this... but thank God I lived (and trained) in Texas for eleven years...  It was HOT out there.  And Thank God for all the volunteers and the locals with hoses.  My shoes were sopping wet, but it was worth it!

Anyone know which way the current was going?  My Dad made a mention we were swimming into a 15 knot current but I told him he was CRAZY.   

Also, when/ where do pictures get posted?  

I hope everyone had a good and safe race day! 

I meant to put this in my RR, but I did perceive a slight current against the direction of swim, only towards the end.  Shouldn't the times tell the tale...I don't have anything to compare it to but someone else may...

I think 15 knots would have resulted in an endless pool type of thing, haha.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 21