General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone using Carmichael's training philosphy and training zones? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-02 8:16 PM

Subject: Anyone using Carmichael's training philosphy and training zones?
I read his time crunched triathlete book, and I am laying out my year of training. I have always used traditional zones based off of LT and max HR (favoring LT, but I have done max HR tests in the lab), and my zones are pretty much identical. 

Now this Carmichael book shakes this up a bit, and frankly, not sure if the 8 minute CTS tests are worth doing, and not sure I want to base my training off of this system.  Any feedback or experiences?

2011-01-02 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3273170

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Anyone using Carmichael's training philosphy and training zones?
I just picked this book up as well and was wondering the same thing. 
2011-01-02 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Just ordered the book today -- suspect there's going to be a lot of interest in seeing how folks use his system / what kind of success folks have with it....
2011-01-03 1:14 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
He uses the same testing protocols & training zones in his much older book the Ultimate Ride. But the philosophy from ultimate ride was much closer to the previous editions of the cyclists training bible by Joe Friel.

You'll end up with similar training zones for the different purposes...he just uses different means to arrive at those zones and gives different names to everything...making his terms TM-able. (have you noticed every drill name and workout name is trademarked?)

I dont' think you'll go wrong following his plan if it fits with your time constraints. There is nothing controversial within it, it's just an updated version of what is known about training with a marketing spin.

2011-01-03 8:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I did my first workout using these zones the other day.  Hoping it works well. The only thing I don't like about the book is the programs are only 8 weeks long. Wish they had more of it laid out, since I bought the book in December and my first race isn't until May.  I know I can't do off season training for that long and still make the progress I want.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone using Carmichael's training philosphy and training zones? Rss Feed