General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Member, Hello MD peeps! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-11 10:58 PM

User image

Oahu
Subject: New Member, Hello MD peeps!
I posted my introduction on the "new member's" thread but figured I would copy it to this thread also and say hello to all of you also. 

Hello all,
I've been using this site, the training plans anyway, for going on my third year now. I moved to MD and completed my first two tri's in 2009 - Lums Pond Sprint and Nations Tri. Then in 2010 I completed the Celebration Sprint. I was bummed about 2010 and only getting one race in but work and travel killed my summer!  

Well this year I am signed up for Nations and the B2B HIM, eek! I plan on adding in a few more races in the spring and early summer. I decided to become a member of BT and really get on a good training plan to hopefully build my base up this winter/spring in preparation for the B2B. I had never been into the forums until tonight and didn't realize how many MD peps there are on here, way cool. I mostly train by myself except when I can get some co-workers to go on a run or spin class but would love the opportunity to possibly meet other racers and stay motivated. 

I have a family which consists of a wife a three young daughters (2, 5, and 7) and am in the middle of a residency so my time is very limited. I usually leave the house around 4:45am and get home around 7-11pm depending on the day/week. I do most of my workouts before work and after work but would be able to meet up on the weekends occasionally. 

Anyway, glad to be part of the site and look forward to this next season and possibly meeting other members! 

Let's see.... other stuff about me: I am in the midst of my mid-life career change, I'm 37 and have been in school for going on 9 years now, lol. Reminds me of Tommy Boy - "Just of shy of a decade"! Before you go making rash judgments about me and what a bum I am let me explain Sealed I went to college for a 1 1/2 years out of high school and then went into the Army for 4 1/2 years. Got married my last year in the Army and worked in construction for 4 years during which time my wife finished her schooling. I decided at the age of 29 that I wanted to return to school and get my BS degree. Upon completion I began my professional degree and finished in 2009. My wife almost chocked me when I asked her in a voice faintly above a whisper if I could apply for a residency, lol. As luck would have it I got accepted and I'm half way through my three year residency, wew!

Let's see, what else... we were both born and raised in Oregon and we are NOT having any more children. I love my three daughters dearly and honestly feel blessed for the life that I have. I will just be thankful when I can seem to get more than 4-5 hours of sleep in a night. We live in Rockville and I work in Bethesda. Well enough rambling for now, have a great week Wink

2011-01-11 11:13 PM
in reply to: #3293850

Subject: RE: New Member, Hello MD peeps!
Alright cool, i live in Maryland to. Was the forum set up this way or is it directed to Maryland Triathletes? But im a Marine in the Marine Corps. I joined after high school. Im in the reserves hanging out in MD doing college. So thats cool fellow Brother in Arms...BUT im only 19  
I live down in St Marys County if anyone else reads this let me know. I need a serious swim coach. 
2011-01-12 4:08 AM

User image

Frederick
Welcome! Wow!! With a schedule like that how do you find time to train? Hey, don't feel bad about School. I did the same thing, joined the Army after high school and 16 years later still working on my Degree LOL!Laughing It does seem like ton's of Marylander's have recently signed up. Maybe when the weather gets better we can all plan a group ride or something!

Edited by mattp506 2011-01-12 4:08 AM
2011-01-12 7:41 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Welcome to MD. How do you find time for family, residency, and HIM training?

LCPL, are you subscribed to get everything that gets posted in the Maryland Forum? That's why I saw this so soon.

I'm in Montgomery county.
2011-01-12 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Welcome!
2011-01-12 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
Welcome, you sound dedicated with your schedule and training! 

Linda

2011-01-12 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3293933

User image

Oahu
Knowing my own personality over the years, the biggest motivator for me to make time for training is signing up for races that I know will push my limits and that will not allow me to just "push" through to the finish if I haven't trained. Fear is a powerful motivator! lol.

Sadly the one thing that I end up cutting out of my schedule to make time for everything else is sleep, which I know kills me after long or multiple work out sessions. I can feel the drain on my body and lag in recovery time. I just got back into a training schedule about a month ago and have become aware of the need to make changes in my routine to make time for proper rest, but it's a constant struggle. I was actually planning on doing a search through the forums for any threads/articles on proper rest recommendations.

I'm also looking for any recommendations for swimming contacts in the Bethesda/Rockville area. Specifically for anyone that I could spend a couple sessions with and work on my form/efficiency. Well back to work, later!
2011-01-12 9:30 AM

User image

New user

Chevy Chase, MD
Hello! I'm new here too. I did Nations in 2009 and have been on this site for a while but after a stressful year of literally NO training, I'm back in it and actually using the forums and support systems I have found here! I live in Bethesda/Chevy Chase and work in DC at an Insurance Brokerage (I also go to school. Making the transition back to UMD College Park some time this year in fact). I am a super strong swimmer (competitive club swimmer throughout childhood and even swam in college) but a lazy rider and abominable runner (focusing on running currently). I tend to swim more than I should and bike and run less than I probably should. I guess we go with what is natural to us, right?

I'm 27, female, single, and happy that way except that it's tough to find people to do stuff like, oh, Rock climbing, snowboarding, or to train with , especially at my weird levels.

Your schedule sounds intense. I understand the feeling. My days get crazy in the first quarter and depending on how many classes I take after work I can end up having 14 or 15 hour days too. Last year I read an article in an Insurance Journal about Insurance Agent triathletes. It talked about how the drive and focus that you need to complete a triathlon helps define who you are and translates to how dedicated of a person you are to your work. Plus, it helps organize your life, because lets face it, people who are crazy enough to do triathlons, work, and go to school have to be organized. How else would you be able to find your equipment and also your car keys?

Well, now that we see I'm a rambler, I will say this: Sorry to piggy-back on your post! I just figured I may as well introduce myself in the MD forum as well and your introduction seemed the easiest way to do this: two birds, one stone!
2011-01-12 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3294205

User image

New user

Chevy Chase, MD
Scuff275 - 2011-01-12 8:21 AM

I'm also looking for any recommendations for swimming contacts in the Bethesda/Rockville area. Specifically for anyone that I could spend a couple sessions with and work on my form/efficiency. Well back to work, later!

I can help you with this if you like. I usually go to MAC (in Rockville) 3 or 4 times a week. As I said in my previous post, I've been swimming my entire life. I can definitely help you with form/efficiency if you like!
2011-01-12 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Welcome to all of you.

It's great to see some new faces in the Maryland area.
2011-01-12 9:38 AM

User image

Elite

OOH!  I like this! So many folks near me now! I'm in Kensington. And I'd take you up on form tips too! I belong to Aspen HIll club, but sometimes swim in the am at MLK. During the summer, I spend as much time as I can at Rockville, as that is the greatest pool ever with a high dive and a good slide, plus 50 m temp controlled pool.

I do my shorter rides (when I can outside) either on Beach Drive or in Olney during the week, and usually head to Leesburg, Poolesville, Herndon, or Ho Co for my long rides. 

Running is just when I can!

2011-01-12 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3294399

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
oreo2424 - 2011-01-12 10:30 AM I'm 27, female, single, and happy that way except that it's tough to find people to do stuff like, oh, Rock climbing, snowboarding, or to train with , especially at my weird levels.

I used to rock climb before I got into triathlon; I wish I had the time to add it back in to my life

BTW, they say "Train your weakness, race your strength", but you probably already know this
2011-01-12 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3294205

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Scuff275 - 2011-01-12 9:21 AM Knowing my own personality over the years, the biggest motivator for me to make time for training is signing up for races that I know will push my limits and that will not allow me to just "push" through to the finish if I haven't trained. Fear is a powerful motivator! lol.

Sadly the one thing that I end up cutting out of my schedule to make time for everything else is sleep, which I know kills me after long or multiple work out sessions. I can feel the drain on my body and lag in recovery time. I just got back into a training schedule about a month ago and have become aware of the need to make changes in my routine to make time for proper rest, but it's a constant struggle. I was actually planning on doing a search through the forums for any threads/articles on proper rest recommendations.

Here is an thread from a few months ago about swimming coach contacts. Not sure if anyone in there is close to you but it's worth a look:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=207787&posts=17&start=1
2011-01-12 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
I used to live and work in Rockville, but I'm down in Charles County now.  Once school is done this semester (June 4th I'm done, baby!!!) and I get a job again, I wouldn't mind a 1x/wk meet-up at EarthTreks for some rock climbing.  Some friends and I used to go there a few times a week a few years ago till I took off for Antarctica for 6 months. 

LCPL, if you find any swim coaches in SoMD, let me know...I'm looking too.  Hell, I'd be satisfied with a place to swim near homd (I can swim for free at the school pool till June)
2011-01-12 11:55 AM

Pro
yep,
Glad to see some new faces as well.  I'm ready for some warmer weather so we can all train and get some good workouts going.

2011-01-12 12:10 PM
in reply to: #3294442

User image

New user

Chevy Chase, MD
HillSlugger - 2011-01-12 9:39 AM

I used to rock climb before I got into triathlon; I wish I had the time to add it back in to my life

BTW, they say "Train your weakness, race your strength", but you probably already know this

I love rock climbing! It's great for cross-training and it's just so darn FUN! In the spring I like to go outdoors with my Dad (aww). I top rope now but I would love to learn how to lead climb eventually.

I do know I need to work on my weaknesses (notice the plural ) I'm hoping to ramp up my running. I have been focusing on that since it is my ABSOLUTE worst! I will be starting a thread with my plan so as not to continue to take over this one with my off-topicness!

2011-01-12 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome to the new faces. The local group here on BT is one of the reasons I keep coming to the site. Once the weather gets warmer, there will be multiple (maybe bi-monthly?) OWS practices at Sandy Point that you are welcome to attend. Even throughout the cold weather, there have been multiple and consistent efforts to get people together to train and drink (two my favorite three activities).
2011-01-12 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Welcome new people!  Everyone I've met through the MDBT forum has been helpful and generally nice, friendly people, so I hope that you'll stick around for the fun!
2011-01-12 5:17 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Welcome all!  I've been here a little over a year, and there are definitely some sweet tri peeps in MD worth knowing. 
2011-01-13 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland
Wassup Scuff?  welcome!
2011-01-13 3:58 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Sweet, look at all the noobs we can pwn and use inside jokes around and make uncomfortable now!!!  No seriously - welcome to each of you... we're a real friendly group.

Regarding ramping up run training... I've been preaching this gospel for a long time now, with some results in me and others to show for it.  Hang around the MD forum long enough and you'll eventually get tired of me talking about it:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1612485;search_string=runtraining;#1612485

Start with 1, 2, and 3... but eventually read them all.

Even if ironman is not your goal, in general the secret for all poor runners to get better at running (without hitting a plateu very soon) is to increase your volume.  The article above tells you the best way to do that without getting injured, imho.

Hope to see you guys at some group runs (Patapsco Valley State Park usually) or trainer rides in basements... or happy hours that we always plan but then cancel at the last minute.

2011-01-16 11:05 PM

User image

Oahu
I'd like to say thanks to all those that have been so welcoming. There is so much good information on this site that I need to take a couple off days so I can sit on my arse and just read! I kick myself for not getting into these forums a year or two ago, but hey - better late than never! 

Have a great week all! 
2011-01-17 4:54 PM

User image

Catonsville
Welcome to the Maryland Forum!  You will find some nice people with lots a real good advice.  Good luck with your winter training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Member, Hello MD peeps! Rss Feed