Lin-Mark
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = 22/300
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 5/19
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am. Drove 90 minutes to race site. Set up run gear then got on bus to go over to swim-bike area. Set up that area and get everything ready for the race, cap, markings, tires inflated.
Event warmup:

Strecting and bouncing around. No time to get into water.
Swim
  • 25m 18s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

Totally forgot about my goggles. Even the night vefore when i was getting everything ready I didn't think of them. I Finally thought of them when they called my wave and viola didn't have them. Hurt me alot. Couldn't open my eyes in the water becasue of contacts so I probably swam 600m in backstroke till I became comfortable with swimming and opening my eyes to sight the flag pole. Can't believe I did that. Defintly messed me up alot. Could have probably saved a minute.
What would you do differently?:

REMEMBER GOGGLES. I'll naever make that mistake again. And focus on form. Fell apart since I was more concerned about my contacts. I loose one of them I get a DNF. Wouldn't be able to see anbything.
Transition 1
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

It was acually a good T1. Usually I'm tired from the swim and I take my sweet old time. But for some reaon everything clicked into gear and I flew.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 07m 53s
  • 40 kms
  • 35.35 km/hr
Comments:

Run was really good. Once I get clipless pedals I'll shave off many seconds. Thats my next investment. Course was great. About 3 hills where I came out of the saddle. Felt really strong and towards the end about a group of 5 riders passed me and I tagged along with them. It was for about a half mile then it broke up but it sling-shot me into a faster RPM and I continued it better.

Realize that it was only 24 miles not 30. But thats not tht bike of difference.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

It was a good T2. Didn't have to put on sneakers since there were no clipless pedals. Tough it was a lot faster than 2 minutes though.
Run
  • 43m 13s
  • 7 miles
  • 06m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Shoulders never loosened up. Since being in aero for the whole bike. So my uppers body was tight. Legs felt great. Knew I could have run faster. Especially since I am a runner, and when one runner passed me I didn't really hang on with him. I should have been able to. but my upper body was really tight. Oh well.
Post race
Warm down:

Ice bath (well cool water). Lots of waling around and about a minute total of slow jogging. More like striding.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No goggles. Tight upper body on the run.

Event comments:

Well hey its the first of the seaon and since I'm not as serious as when I was in college how can you not have an enjoyable race. Its all for fun. Even tough I'm mad about my swim and run its things I have to improve upon. Very happy with how I did. But there are the sore spots. Oh well. Have a good idea how out of shape I am. Need to focus a lot more on running and swimming. Felt really good on the bike. No real fatigue I felt in my legs. If I'm still in the area next year I'll definitly be back. Loved it.

Last updated: 2005-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:18 | 1500 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 40/300
Performance: Below average
Suit: Speedo, with drag suit
Course: And out 700m over 100m then back 700m. In Lake Harvey. Calm lots of bots watching very well marked out. 5 different waves I was in wave 3.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:53 | 40 kms | 35.35 km/hr
Overall: 41/300
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Point-to-point. It was difficult but nothing I couldn't handle. Most of the people that passed me in the beginning (relay teams) I passed later on on the courtse.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:43:13 | 07 miles | 06m 10s  min/mile
Overall: 9/300
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly. Some of the uphills were tough and some of the downhills were a little to steep for my liking.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-08 9:30 AM

Veteran
Subject: Wilkes-Barre Triathlon

2005-08-11 7:34 AM
in reply to: #219168

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Subject: RE: Wilkes-Barre Triathlon
Well done. Amazing time in the swim with no goggles.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilkes-Barre Triathlon Rss Feed