General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello Everybody - Another newbie onboard (got a bug, bigtime) Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-09 7:59 PM

New user

Bettendorf, IA
Subject: Hello Everybody - Another newbie onboard (got a bug, bigtime)
Well, I just completed my second sprint tri last saturday in 1:33. A 24 minute improvement over my first attempt from about 45 days ago.

I am 41 years old. After wrestling in high school and one year in college, I have been reletively sedentary working behind the desk as an accountant for the last 19 years. After seeing pictures of myself last Christmas, I decided to start swimming because that is what my kids do. My main goal at the time was weight loss. I lost 20-25 pounds and joined a spinning class.

One day I mentioned to my boss that my goal was to participate in a triathlon event. I distinctly remember him saying "I bet you could complete one right now, based on what you have told me". I thought about it, and the more I looked into it, the more I thought he was right. So, I bit the bullet and signed up for my first tri. What a rush!

Race day came and went and I finished within my 2 hour goal by three minutes. I had not done much running and added a 30 minute workout on the treadmill to my spinning class days. I wanted to not only run, but know what it was like to run after biking. I did this for about 5 weeks in between my first and second triathlons. Boy what a difference. I still had to walk a portion of the run, but am determined to concentrate on running more. I am sure the spinning is what made the bike fly by so fast.

About 10 days ago I bought a couple of books. "Triathlon Training in four hours a week" by Eric Harr. And, "Triathlon 101, Essentials for Multisport Success" by John Mora. Boy, what an education. Needless to say, I have swam way to much and run way to little (and probably biked way to little also, considering how much time these portions take). What an education.

I am currently training for my third sprint distance to be held in September, 2005. Needless to say, my methods will change significantly based on what I know now.

Long term, I would like to do a longer distance. Maybe an olympic or possibly a 1/2IM by next season. Based on what I know now, there is much work to be done if I am seriously going to be able to do that.

Thankfully I found this site and have booked my workouts from the beginning of the year and believe I have started to create a good base for getting where I want to go.

Of course, I'll need a new tri bike too....

2005-08-09 8:52 PM
in reply to: #221123

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: RE: Hello Everybody - Another newbie onboard (got a bug, bigtime)
Welcome to the site. Sounds like you've got a pretty good foundation. Good luck with your next race.
2005-08-10 11:15 AM
in reply to: #221123

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Hello Everybody - Another newbie onboard (got a bug, bigtime)
that is great improvement between races...and the weightloss too!  good luck on your season.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello Everybody - Another newbie onboard (got a bug, bigtime) Rss Feed