Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Sprint Users - phone questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-10 11:26 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Sprint Users - phone questions

So, my contract is up in about 3 weeks and I'm going to get my first smartphone.  I was all determined to get the HTC Evo, but went into the Sprint store the other day and something else caught my eye.

The Samsung Epic.  Why?  Because of the slide out keypad.  I guess in my LIMITED experience with touch screen texting, my "fat" fingers seem to press every letter OTHER than the one I want.  It took my 3 minutes to get one email address in...

So, my questions are:

Do you get used to the touch screen texting or am I on the right path to get the keypad?
It's a 3G/4G phone, do I HAVE to pay for 4G access or can I just keep my existing "everything" plan and live with 3G everywhere?
What do you think of Samsung vs. HTC????

ETA:  I'll add one more.  Any reason to wait and get the "echo"?  A duel touch screen smart phone?  I don't see the point, to be honest.

Edited by Kido 2011-02-10 11:28 AM

2011-02-10 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3348811

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Sprint Users - phone questions
I can only tell you my experience.  I don't have Sprint for my personal phone, but I did migrate to a touch screen from the regular QWERTY keyboard.  And I miss it.  I like a lot of the apps on the new phone, but I HATE the touchscreen keyboard.  I fat finger everything, and that is in landscape mode.  In portrait, fuhgeddaboutit.  I wish I had my slide out QWERTY keyboard again.

And stay off my lawn!!
2011-02-10 11:47 AM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

Kido,

as a sprint customer myself... I don't pay for 3G when I encounter it... it is part of my plan... and I think that is the same with 4G.. They don't charge different rates for different speeds. 

I am with you on a physical keyboard.  I have a blackberry andeven though those keys are small, they are not bad. much better than my luck with onscreen keyboards...

2011-02-10 11:57 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I still like my LG Apex with slide keypad even though, like you, don't have skinny-kid fingers.
It takes a little getting used to texting on small buttons, but they are "raised".

You'll like your new smartphone, no matter what, with all the things you will be able to do with it (still waiting for the BT Droid app here).
2011-02-10 12:08 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

The on screen keyboard kinda depends on the manufacturer of the phone. For example, I had the original iPhone and I could type ridiculousy fast on that thing. I wrote full emails from the phone with no problem.

My wife has the HTC Hero and the onscreen keyboard on that thing sucks. Always getting wrong letters, it auto corrects when you don't want it to, it's always screwing the sentence up. The iPhone keyboard is a heck of a lot smarter and almost always knows what you are trying to say even if you miss a letter.

So I don't recommend HTC's onscreen keyboard. I haven't tried Samsung's onscreen so I can't comment on that, but I think it has swipe on it which allows you to start at the first letter and just swipe the remaining letters and it figures out the word, kinda cool.

I would just try both onscreens out and see if you can use either. HTC has come out with a new EVO that has a slide out as well if you really want an EVO.

Sprint charges $10 more a month to have a 4g phone. Doesn't matter if you even live in an area that has 4g, you get charged the extra $10 just for having the capability.

I have always had good luck with Samsung phones. My experience with HTC has been absolutely terrible. My wife and I both had the HTC Hero and I took mine back for the Palm Pre. Nothing on that Hero works right. My wife makes daily threats of throwing the thing out her car window.

I have heard god things about the EVO so you would probably be ok with it. I would check on some forums and see how Samsung is at getting updates out. The problem with Android is each manufacturer has it's own tweak for android so when an android update comes out you don't get it until the manufacturer has had a chance to apply their tweak. With the Hero, HTC was a year and a half late on getting the update out, and once they did it was already outdated. Not sure how fast Samsung is at getting their tweak applied. It can be a bit frustrating when there is an update to fix all the annoying things about the phone but you can't have it because the manufacturer isn't ready yet.

Personally, my wife and I can't wait to ditch Sprint and go to Verizon for some iPhones.

Edited by Aarondb4 2011-02-10 12:09 PM
2011-02-10 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have sprint and my wife and I are looking to either upgrade or change to verizon in late march when the plan contract is up. We are debating on getting smart phone and have looked at the ones you mentioned. Right now we just have standard phones with a slide out keyboard for texting.

in regards to the tough screen though, I have found that over time it has gotten much easier with my Ipod touch. at first it took me forever to get anything in but now i am typing fairly well for most things I need to do. I would say give a touch screen a chance if you have not already spent more than a few minutes in the store with one. If you still dont like it or get used to it I would go with the slide out keyboard. The dual screen one just sounds like it is going to break to me.

2011-02-10 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3348907

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Aarondb4 - 2011-02-10 10:08 AM

So I don't recommend HTC's onscreen keyboard. I haven't tried Samsung's onscreen so I can't comment on that, but I think it has swipe on it which allows you to start at the first letter and just swipe the remaining letters and it figures out the word, kinda cool.

I would just try both onscreens out and see if you can use either. HTC has come out with a new EVO that has a slide out as well if you really want an EVO.

Sprint charges $10 more a month to have a 4g phone. Doesn't matter if you even live in an area that has 4g, you get charged the extra $10 just for having the capability.

They do have the "swipe feature".  It could take getting used to, but seems nice...

That's what I was wondering.  The 10 bucks a month to get a 4G phone...  I don't care if the phone is 4G or 3G, I just want THE PHONE, and not pay for the service.  But it sounds like that's not possible.  If the phone is 4G compatible, I have to pay.  Ick.

I did see the HTC with the slide out keypad online.  I would like to see one in the store...  But I'm REALLY liking the Samsung now.
2011-02-10 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN

They also have the HTC Evo Shift, which is the Evo phone with a slide out keyboard.

2011-02-10 1:34 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
My work has ordered us all EVO Shift phones and it should be here soon. The one I am getting does have a keyboard that slides out.

I really just want it to make calls on honestly.
2011-02-10 2:22 PM

User image

We've been with Sprint for about 10 years and are looking at upgrading as well.

Here is a link that allows you to compare the phones, you probably have already check it out but in case you haven't.

http://shop.sprint.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones?INTNAV=ATG:HE:Phones

I chatted with a Sprint rep and he indicated that if you want one of the keyboard models that the Samsung Epic would be his choice over the EVO Shift, I think due to the additional features.

Print this page

Compare Phones

HTC EVO Shift™ 4G
HTC EVO Shift™ 4G
$399.99
$149.99
HTC EVO™ 4G
HTC EVO™ 4G
$449.99
$199.99
Samsung Epic™ 4G
Samsung Epic™ 4G
$499.99
$199.99
no phone defined

no phone defined

Key Features
Access to 4G speeds that are up to 10x faster than 3G
YesYesYes  
Dual-mode 3G/4G device, access to dependable 3G speeds and accelerated 4G speeds where available
YesYesYes  
4.3-inch screen
NoYesNo  
Dual cameras
NoYesYes  
1 GHz processor
NoYesYes  
1GB Memory, 250GB hard drive
NoNoNo  
2GB Memory, expandable to 4GB, 250 GB hard drive
NoNoNo  
Mobile Hotspot capable
YesYesYes  
3G speeds where available
YesYesYes  
Slide-out QWERTY keyboard
YesNoYes  
Sprint ID ready
NoNoNo  
Android™ 2.1
NoNoYes  
Android™ 2.2
YesYesNo  
New Palm webOS™ platform
NoNoNo  
Combined IM, MMS and SMS messaging
NoNoYes  
All in-one calendar
NoNoYes  
Genuine Windows® 7 Starter - 32 bit
NoNoNo  
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium - 64-bit
NoNoNo  
Intel® ATOM™ Processor N450
NoNoNo  
Intel® Core™ i3-330UM Processor
NoNoNo  
Integrated contacts from multiple sources
NoNoYes  
Linked Contacts and Layered Calendar
NoNoYes  
Mobile hotspot
NoNoNo  
Chat-style messaging
YesNoYes  
Touchscreen
YesYesYes  
Web browsing with Flash
YesNoNo  
Nextel Direct Connect®
NoNoNo  
Group Connect
NoNoNo  
Sprint® One Click
NoNoNo  
Music capable
YesYesYes  
Sprint TV®
YesYesYes  
GPS Navigation enabled
YesYesYes  
Web browsing capable
YesYesYes  
Email capable
YesYesYes  
Camera
YesYesYes  
Rugged
NoNoNo  
Bluetooth® Wireless
YesYesYes  
Memory card slot
YesYesYes  
Voice activated dialing
YesYesYes  
Second Line Service
NoNoNo  
Improves in-building wireless signal
NoNoNo  
Connects to broadband router
NoNoNo  
Supports multiple simultaneous users
YesYesYes  
Technical Specifications
<script type="text/javascript"><script src="../../assets/scripts/analytics/analyticsFramework.js" type="text/javascript"><script type="text/javascript">
2011-02-10 3:21 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
When I went with my first "fancy phone" this fall, I had my heart set on the HTC hero. After talking with the sales guys, and playing with a few of the Heros...I really didn't like it as much. So, I had it narrowed down to a couple of other phones with a much better picture quality and whatnot, and settled on the Zio (it was new that day) b/c I wanted a touchscreen only.

That phone died in two days, and went I went back to replace it...I tried the Samsung Transform (their new 3g one--basically, the Epic in 3G w/out the amoled display). I absolutely LOVE the slideout keyboard option. Having three different ways to type (horizontally and vertically on the touch screen, and the keyboard as well) is awesome. I'd never get one that wasn't like this. I was concerned about the bulk, initially, but it really isn't bad. I tend to use the touchscreen and the keyboard fairly equally. Each one has its advantages. (My husband has a blackberry, and I couldn't stand that wee little keyboard or NO touchscreen).

As far as the 4G-- I initially wanted the Evo, but at that point there was no 4G in my area. If you get a 4G phone, you MUST pay the 4G fee, regardless of whether you have it available or want it or not. We have 4G available here now, and I will probably switch to whatever the Epic has become in a couple years, when the coverage is broader... but for now, I'm very happy with my phone. The Transform isn't AMOLED, but it's got a great picture, IMO.

If you like the Epic, and don't want the 4G, I'd highly recommend the Transform.

Edited by mmrocker13 2011-02-10 3:23 PM

2011-02-10 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3348994

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kido - 2011-02-10 1:02 PM
Aarondb4 - 2011-02-10 10:08 AM

IMPORTANT - Sprint gives you 30 days to try out a phone and you can swap out a brand new one if you don't like it. So if you are leaning toward the EVO but are not sure on the touch screen get it and you can always return it.

They do have the "swipe feature".  It could take getting used to, but seems nice...

That's what I was wondering.  The 10 bucks a month to get a 4G phone...  I don't care if the phone is 4G or 3G, I just want THE PHONE, and not pay for the service.  But it sounds like that's not possible.  If the phone is 4G compatible, I have to pay.  Ick.

I did see the HTC with the slide out keypad online.  I would like to see one in the store...  But I'm REALLY liking the Samsung now.

Sprint up'ed all their phones $10 per month for data. They offer UNLIMITED data so it really isn't bad.

My wife has the EVO and loves it - my boss has the Epic and loves it. I have a Blackberry and have been waiting to make a decision as well. I am hoping for a Droid Pro'ish phone soon on Sprint.

I would say if you are going to be doing a lot of emails & texts go with the Epic - you won't be unhappy.

Edited by RedShark 2011-02-10 5:09 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Sprint Users - phone questions Rss Feed