General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-22 10:25 AM

User image

Milford
Subject: First Tri!
So I signed up for my first Tri!   It will be the YMCA in Milford The "Y" Tri.  300 yard pool swim, 10mi Bike and 3mi (or 2.5mi I have seen both listed) run.

I am pretty excited, although I will be biking on my Mountain bike with the suspension locked out to help me a little...lol.

Also, anyone in the area have a preferred tri store they use or know where to check out some used road bikes?

very excited I just found this CT section...lol

2011-02-22 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3366898

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: First Tri!
Welcome!..I buy most of my stuff online..Zanes in Branford might have some used roadies..that's where I bought my first bike..you could check craigslist too or even here..just make sure its the right size!
2011-02-22 4:57 PM

New user

Fairfield
Good luck! Fairfield and Westport have a few great shops that would be good starting points (trek fairifeld, cycle dynamics and Tri and cycle). You also have rei in Norwalk. I have bought stuff at each and on-line. I find it best to buy at a store for clothing because the fit varies a lot on different brands. I got tired of returning stuff through the mail and waiting for new sizes. For a bike, go to a few stores, find one that gives you personal service with several size options. It can take a while to find that first bike, so personal service is very important. The three shops above all give great service in the area. Good luck.
2011-02-25 3:33 PM

User image

Milford
Thanks for the great feedback.  I am actually get my Mtn Bike tuned up this weekend at Tony's in Milford (Used them last year and did good)  Once I get it back, I'll be looking for some routes.  Do any of you have any suggestions as to routes to ride?  I want to be fairly light traffic, as I am new to road riding,...

Thanks for the help!
2011-02-25 6:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central Connecticut
Welcome to the addiction...I mean club!
2011-02-25 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3373127

User image

Milford
enduropro - 2011-02-25 7:52 PM Welcome to the addiction...I mean club!

I am feeling it already, and so is my wife!  lol  I am constantly scouring this website and others for information...  and the classifieds looking for a good deal on a road bike.  I don't have a ton of cash, so ...  Probably gonna be a bit until I get one....

2011-02-26 6:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central Connecticut
My wife struggles with all the training time and money flying out the window. I gave up snowboarding...I gave up trying to rebuild my old Land Rover.

This might be my last Ironman year for a while. Olys and 70.3s will be fun...still training but less volume.

Looks like you might mountain bike too (our 2nd addiction). My crew and I get out a ton... West Hartford Rez, Nepaug, Case Mountain, Middlesex, Penwood, Sessions, Nass, etc. I may not get out as much this year since training for Lake Placid. I know it sounds stupid, but if my training plan doesn't call for it, I'm not doing it. I'm training by the book this year, literally.

Good luck. If you ever want to train in the Litchfield hills area I can intro you to my crew. They are of all abilities, so no worries on that. Just a bunch of cool people looking to enjoy life.

2011-02-26 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3372917

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Stevez48 - 2011-02-25 4:33 PM Thanks for the great feedback.  I am actually get my Mtn Bike tuned up this weekend at Tony's in Milford (Used them last year and did good)  Once I get it back, I'll be looking for some routes.  Do any of you have any suggestions as to routes to ride?  I want to be fairly light traffic, as I am new to road riding,...

Thanks for the help!

You can use the link at the top of the page that says  "routes"..it will direst you to routes  that other people from BT have made that may be in your area..(you may have enter location in search)
2011-02-27 2:21 AM

User image

Steve - 
I'm planning on the Milford Y tri as well.  It will also be my first.  Will see you there.

Bike stores - those above - Trek Fairfield, Tri & Cycle Westport are both good.  I got my bike at Bethel Cycle Shop that had 2010s on great sale. Good fitting and support.

Keep it up. 

Peter 
2011-02-27 5:11 PM

User image

New Haven, CT
welcome!  Devil Gear in new haven is a great bike shop, they are super friendly, and usually hook you up with a bike that will work in your budget.  ebay and craigs list are also good options.  Amity Bike in new have is also good. For tri stuff, go with the internet, there are no good tri specific shops in this state.  Target Training in Westport is the onl;y one i know of and they are pretty elitist in their attitude toward customers in my experience and are way over priced.
2011-02-27 5:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Steve - Tony's has rides Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun. I've been on a couple, good group. I generally ride along the same route they do - the whole Milford Beach (Devon -> Woodmont) then back into Orange and Back To Milford. I actually start from my house in Orange (Tony starts from Milford Center).

For some really nice hills i start out in Orange (safest to start at the Commuter Lot on the other side of 34) and head up into Woodbridge and Bethany and back. There's a longer route that heads out into Hamden also.

I'd definitely keep checking out Craigs List for Bikes then have Tony's or Chris over at Chapmans Bike (Post Road in Orange) give it a tuneup.

I've also been MTB with a meetup group this past year - great group, lots of fun. Mostly up toward Hartford area tho. I kinda like Tyler Mill in Wallingford. A lot of the meetup guys have big full suspension bikes.

Also - if your a moutain biker, the Tuesday Nite min offroad Tri in Farmington would be good. quick 400yd swim, 5 mile MTB course and a 3 mile trail run. It's at Winding Trails.

2011-02-27 7:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Steve - for stores, i've had pretty good luck, albeit hit or miss, at Dicks and also at the LL Bean outlet on the Post Road in Orange (by Bertuccis) - at least for biking clothes. Tri clothes (shorts, etc) i'd hit the web.
2011-02-27 8:55 PM

User image

Milford
Awesome info guys, thanks a ton.  I was talking to the guys at Tony's the other day and he was mentioning the rides they do.  Might have to look in to some of them.

Really do appreciate all the help, and that off road tri sounds interesting.  I am going to check it out!
2011-02-28 8:31 AM

User image

Milford
BTW - PSchaff and anyone else doing the Y-Tri, I'll be the one riding the black and red Specialized mountain bike, with Vibram Fivefingers on Surprised

haha...
2011-03-07 1:59 PM

Stamford

Hey everyone!

I'm new here and to the sport.  The Y Tri is going to be my first Tri as well! I'm really pumped about it.

Since it is a pool swim, is there a changing area in T1?

Also does anyone know if the Bike course is a Fat Tire required course or will people be using Road Bikes?

Thanks !!

2011-03-07 4:32 PM

User image

Raced this last year. I road my tri-bike. Others used a road bike. Flat course for both the bike and run. It's a pool swim no changing place in t1.  I wore a tri outfit that I biked and ran in. I will be racing it again this year. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri! Rss Feed