General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New old guy from Delaware Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-17 9:54 AM

Subject: New old guy from Delaware

I'll be 52 in April and am a multi-sport noob.  I've been cycling for a few years but don't run or swim.

I guess I'm committed (or should be).  I signed up for 'Triathlon Essentials,' a 12 wk program at our local YMCA, led by a USAT coach.  Each week consists of 45 minutes of classroom stuff followed by 60 minutes in the pool.  Last night was the first session, and I'm a worse swimmer than I thought!  One down-and-back (50yds total) and I was gasping for air. 

I'll definitely be checking in here for encouragement and to learn more as I go!  

2011-03-17 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3401839

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: New old guy from Delaware
Well first of all welcome to the Sport. Yeah swimming is it's own beast and in time you will be able to swim more than one lap... Just like when you started biking, were you able to put the volume in you are now?  Just remember to have fun and to race your race. Enjoy the sport...
2011-03-17 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland

Sounds like a cool program. Do they have a planned out for you?

If you like the sport, Pirahna Sports puts on some decent races in the Delaware area that are very beginner friendly.

http://www.piranha-sports.com/

2011-03-17 12:34 PM

Thanks, I figure I can't help but improve my swimming!  The class leader/coach (from Bricks Multisport) said his job isn't to make us (beginners) fast swimmers, but to help us learn to be comfortable in the water.  That will definitely be a major step for me.

Not sure if he'll provide a training plan as part of this program.  I've also signed up to race the local Mtn Bike series with a team (Eastern Mountain Sports) so I'll need to figure that training requirement into my tri training.  Of course, my division is 'Over 50 Beginner' and my goal is just to do a couple races, avoid being DFL and not break anything.

I'm looking at doing one of two local Sprints in June, either the Tri-It Triathlon at Lums Pond or the St Andrews Tri.  St Andrews has a longer bike and run, but both are 1/4 mile OWS (and both are run by Piranha Sports).  I'll likely see what other beginners in my class are doing...maybe we'll encourage each other. 

2011-03-17 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3402169

User image

Expert
There is tons of encouragement on the course... Just give it all you have, and everything else will fall into place. 
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New old guy from Delaware Rss Feed