General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Late Summer or Early Fall Marathons to BQ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-24 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Subject: Late Summer or Early Fall Marathons to BQ

Is anyone planning any late summer/early fall marathons to hopefully BQ for 2012?

I was hoping to do a mid October marathon, but with the registration date for Boston pushed to mid September I've been forced to consider other options, and I'm left with two marathon choices:

1) Quebec City, August 28th - eight days after AG Nationals in Burlington, VT

2) Lehigh Valley, September 11th - giving me three weeks after AG's

I'm currently leaning towards the Lehigh Valley Marathon in PA, as the course is supposedly quite shady, the field is nice and small, and I'd have a little more time after the race in VT. My wife would prefer Quebec City as it's more picturesque, but we were there for a week in February of last year.

Weather for either could be an issue, as it could be hot and humid at either location.

I'm thinking I need to be 10 minutes under my qualifying time to ensure I'd get in, and that means 3:00 or under.

2011-03-24 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3413141

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Subject: RE: Late Summer or Early Fall Marathons to BQ
What about Columbus (OH) Marathon? Flat and fast, a nice size crowd (not too big, not too small), last year had a nice cool temp and sunshine, and a pretty reasonable entry fee.

Oct 16
http://www.columbusmarathon.com/
2011-03-24 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3413193

User image

Master
Bedford, MA

phoenixazul - 2011-03-24 8:54 PM What about Columbus (OH) Marathon? Flat and fast, a nice size crowd (not too big, not too small), last year had a nice cool temp and sunshine, and a pretty reasonable entry fee. Oct 16 http://www.columbusmarathon.com/

Thatrace is a bit too far from MA and a month late. Registration for Boston starts the second week of September.

Edited by natethomas2000 2011-03-24 8:01 PM
2011-03-24 9:14 PM

Rochester, NY

Wine Glass in Corning NY October 2!! Slight downhill for the majority of the way, point to point race, small but lots of support

2011-03-25 8:37 AM

Boston, MA

I was in the same boat as you until earlier in the year when I just bagged the idea. I  decided I would rather focus on tri for now. 

For me, the course would be pretty important and the date second. Ideally something pretty flat for a BQ attempt in order to give you the best shot; esp if this is your first Marathon. Also somewhat of a factor to me would be pushing it out as late as possible with the hopes of the weather cooling down. Although VT may be much cooler than the Boston area in Aug.

I would also be worried about over training depending on your anticipated mileage leading up the marathon along with how seriously you plan on taking nationals. Peaking for a oly tri around the same time that you are trying to throw down some really long runs could be tricky...Esp if you are aiming for a 3:00 pace. just my $.02

2011-03-25 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA

While I want to do well at AG Nationals, a BQ is my priority.

Once I complete a HIM in mid June  my attention will be solely on marathon training, and I should already be around 40-45 miles per week at that point. I plan on peaking around 65 miles per week.

I plan on running 7-9 hours a week and getting in two swims and a few rides as well. Biking is definitely my strength, so I can just maintain the fitness I have from the HIM. I think it's doable!

2011-03-25 9:17 AM

User image

Runner
I have run Lehigh (did it the first year). It is a nice course, in my opinion, and it can be fast. It's not terribly challenging, terrain-wise (I have run much harder courses in PA). Point-to-point format, which is interesting, so having family around is a big help. But they won't get to see you much during the race. There are some long stretches were you could be completely alone, but for some people that's enjoyable. I felt it was fairly well-run, and a nice race. Of course, all of this was from 3 or 4 years ago, and I'm sure things have changed to a greater or lesser extent. The only issue I had with it was course markings. There was one spot in particular that was not marked, and I actually backtracked a bit to try to figure out if I had missed a turn. Turns out I did not, but it set me back a bit.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Late Summer or Early Fall Marathons to BQ Rss Feed