General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lactate Threshold Vs. Anaerobic Threshold Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-28 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Lactate Threshold Vs. Anaerobic Threshold

Hi all.  I thought I knew all of this stuff by now, but I was teaching someone and realized that I still don't fully understand it.  I train by Lactate threshold heart rate (as determined by the 30 minute time trials outlined on this site).  So far it has worked great, no complaints!  I was wondering though, is there a difference between lactate threshold and anaerobic threshold?  Or...are they just two different words for the same thing? 

The way I have viewed it is that anaerobic threshold is the point of exertion where your muscles begin breaking down glucose anaerobically (without oxygen) and lactic acid begins to accumulate.  This would make the lactate threshold the point at which your body can no longer handle the lactic acid and extreme fatigue sets in (muscles no longer contract smoothly because of the acidic environment, etc.). 

If I am right, then would anaerobic threshold be the upper end of zone 2 (about 85-91% of your lactate threshold HR)?  This number will change as your lactate threshold HR increases right?  Here is what I am thinking: you can increase your anaerobic threshold by training in zone 2 to increase it and you can increase your lactate threshold HR by training at it or slightly below which teaches your body to deal with the lactic acid for a longer period of time. 

Please correct me if I am wrong!  This can be kind of confusing stuff and I am trying to teach somwone else the basics of which zones to train in for certain results.  Any thoughts?  Thanks ahead of time.

2011-03-28 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3418322

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: RE: Lactate Threshold Vs. Anaerobic Threshold
I've always heard them used interchangeably. The anaerobic threshold is the point at which the body can no longer clear the lactic acid from the muscle more quickly that it is building. Eventually, acidosis causes your activity to slow down.
2011-03-29 7:44 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Kermat89 - 2011-03-28 4:29 PM

Please correct me if I am wrong!  This can be kind of confusing stuff and I am trying to teach somwone else the basics of which zones to train in for certain results.  Any thoughts?  Thanks ahead of time.

Personally, unless the person really wants to know the physiology of what is going on, I wouldn't worry about terminology as it will often just add confusion as often the "experts" don't understand the terminology and have used it incorrectly or have coined terms that they feel describe the physiological process "better." If the athlete does want to know what is going on, then I would direct them toward an exercise physiology textbook. Otherwise, simple being able to complete the test and set zones will be sufficent.

Ultimately, since one hour power/pace is a great maker of triathlon performance (for all distances) then testing for one hour power/pace and then developing zones or levels based upon the tests will put an athlete on the right track. Depending on what you monitor (power, pace, RPE, HR) during the test you can then develop your zones or levels based upon the test results and then plan your training accordingly.

Shane
2011-03-29 11:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lawrenceville, GA

To answer your question...

Lactate Threshold and Anaerobic Threshold are the same.

Your body has two ways to burn glucose, with oxygen (aerobic) or without oxygen (anaerobic).  When doing physical activity you will use BOTH systems.  The anaerobic component will create Lactic Acid which will be metabolised by your system.  The LT or AT point is where the anaerobic phase increases to a point where Lactic Acid is built up faster than the body can metabolise it.

Does that make sense to you?

Edited by Davisjl 2011-03-29 11:31 AM
2011-03-29 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Yes, thanks!
2011-03-29 2:31 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
what shane said.

Technically, lactate threshold is determined by measuring lactate in a blood sample. Anaerobic threshold is measured by measuring expired oxygen & carbon dioxide levels.

Two ways of determining the same point.

But measuring it by performance is a universallly and free method of arriving at the same functional numbers & training zones.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lactate Threshold Vs. Anaerobic Threshold Rss Feed