General Discussion Triathlon Talk » yet another swim critique please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-31 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: yet another swim critique please

Hello all, I apologize about the bad camera angle, and ensuing neck ache it causes, the life guard must have spun my phone (only person in pool, so she was just guarding me...)  I am also trying to borrow an underwater camera as well for future.

Few things I have noticed, I still cross over more with my left hand than right.  I have been trying to work on my kicking recently, as I used to just drag my legs along.  (This was filmed a few weeks ago, trying to experiment with 2 beat as well as just small tight flutter).  And what is going on with my recovery and hand entry point?  Are they acceptable?  (just like my golf swing, looks different than it feels!

Any specific drills to help me improve.

Thanks in advance for your help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNPxkt9_naI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-UCTFU1Q_Y

2011-03-31 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3423204

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Subject: RE: yet another swim critique please

You have a solid foundation from which to build. 

I would suggest not getting caught up in the details of what your arm looks like during recovery or even what you hand looks like on entry. Those things are the difference between :58 and :52 seconds per 100.  You are not quite there yet.  Even the cherished early vertical forearm is a somewhat advanced technique which is dependant on some fundamentals being in place first.

What looks best to me in your swimming is you have a fairly well formed 4 beat kick going on. 1 and 1,2,3... 1 and 1,2,3 .... It is somewhat properly synched to your upper body as well. In the first video you can see than one bigger kick with the left leg occuring as the left arm is finishing the pull. That is a very good thing.

The single biggest thing you can do to improve your catch, crossover, feel for the water and pulling in general would be to "lead with your head".  That is, after your breathe, get your head back in the water and facing down BEFORE you begin the next pull. This may put a slight hitch in your giddyup at first, but it should also give you a completely new sensation of what that after the breath stroke can do for you.

There are many details that any semi-competent observer can (and soon will) pick out of those videos and attempt to correct. And they will be mostly right. What they don't realize is that a properly timed kick combined with head lead swimming will address most of these issues.

I would like to hear your impressions of this one change if you decide to give it a shot. Best of luck with your season.

Edited by Dave Luscan 2011-03-31 10:10 AM
2011-03-31 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Thanks Dave for the advice. My next question for you is, when I try that "head back in the water move", is it initially going to feel like I am not getting the same amount of air? Is the intentional move that fast?And finally, during a kick set in a training plan am I supposed to mimic that same 4 beat kick or am I just supposed to kick harder with no specific pattern to develop a stronger kick? Fins or no fins?
2011-03-31 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3423584

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond

You should not feel like you are getting less air. You may feel like you get a more complete breath. Finish the breath, don't rush it. Let the hand wait for the head, don't make the head try to keep up with the hand.

For kick sets, just kick. There needs to be pulling going on to be able to define a kick as 2 beat, 4 beat, 6 beat anyway.

One other thing you can do is practice some "beat kicking" with a kickboard. That is 1,2, pause or 1,2,3, pause or 1,2,3,4, pause.  Make the pauses quick but noticeable. Pause in position, don't bring the legs together. Beat kicking is good because it will introduce your body to the idea that different kick rhythms indeed exist, while giving you practice at counting and being aware of the individual kicks.

Be advised before you begin that beat kicking is probably the all time slowest way to get from one end of the pool to the other, but highly useful down the road when you may want to alter the timing of different kick rhythms. It is another skill to be developed. A word in the physical vocabulary of swimming. Learn enough words and you will soon form your own sentences.

Fins are fine 50% of the time. For kick sets and most drills.

Edited by Dave Luscan 2011-03-31 12:44 PM
2011-03-31 1:33 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
You have more than a solid foundation to build on. You look really good in the water.

Thinks I like:
You are well balanced. From front to back your shoulders & hips are about even with the surface of the water. This is a drag reducing position and you seem to already have a good handle on it.
No Aquatic Violence. You interact with the wtaer well, you are not fighting it or struggling with it.
Rotation connecting upper & lower body: Your kick is nicely connected to your upper body via core rotation. As dave notes, you are using a 4 beat kick. The important kick is the main kick that assist body rotation as you enter & extend with the opposite arm.
You also have nice streamlining and front quadrant timing...things that again, reduce drag and keep you moving forward in the water.

Two things stand out as needing some attention that will take your swimmign to the "next level":
Head posiiton. As DAve notes, head is mostly good, but comes up on the breathing stroke. You can try a drill called the "nod" to experiment with head position for breathing without disrupting your swim. At an easy pace, turn your head toward the side of the pool (we call this part the "nod") but don't turn so far as to take a breath. Just nod your head to the side as if you were going to breath and observe a number of things about that position. I do these as 25s alternating a nod with a breath.
"I spy" Look toward the opposite wall and focus on the visual feedback you get. What do you see over there? Kids laying? Old people swimmign? a dog in the water? The far pool wall? Just let the visual information flow into your brain and then consider what you saw as you continue to swim.
"Shimmer" Nod a little further and just LOOK at the underside of the water. watch the shimmering undersurface that is right above your face
"So Near" Nod and focus on the AIR just above the surface of the water. It's SO CLOSE to your face that just a hair further and you'll be there.
"WAVE" Nod to the side and look for the bow wave created by your head. You'll only see this bow wave if your head is down, allowing the bow wave to form. If you lift your head, you put your face right into the bow wave getting a faceful of w ater...which instinctively causes you to lift your head even more to clear it and get air.

These are just some sample focus points you can use to help feel what proper head position while breathing feels like.
There are lots of other focal points to get the same body position across...what works for some may not work for others. The key is to have a range of not only physical thoughts, but also kinesthetic feelings that make you aware of your body position when swimming. Collecting visual information as above is one way of doing it. A thought of "leading with the head" is another way of doing it. One i really like is to fell as if my head is supported on a cushion of water when I nod.

The nod allows you to experiment wiht these feelings and ideas without the additional stress of trying to get air at the same time, so simply alternate a nod with a breath and try to make the breath feel like the nodding sensation felt.

I have one other thought about your stroke, but I'll letyou digest this first. Let me know when you are ready for another.
2011-03-31 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3423624

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Dave Luscan - 2011-03-31 12:36 PM

You should not feel like you are getting less air. You may feel like you get a more complete breath. Finish the breath, don't rush it. Let the hand wait for the head, don't make the head try to keep up with the hand.

For kick sets, just kick. There needs to be pulling going on to be able to define a kick as 2 beat, 4 beat, 6 beat anyway.

One other thing you can do is practice some "beat kicking" with a kickboard. That is 1,2, pause or 1,2,3, pause or 1,2,3,4, pause.  Make the pauses quick but noticeable. Pause in position, don't bring the legs together. Beat kicking is good because it will introduce your body to the idea that different kick rhythms indeed exist, while giving you practice at counting and being aware of the individual kicks.

Be advised before you begin that beat kicking is probably the all time slowest way to get from one end of the pool to the other, but highly useful down the road when you may want to alter the timing of different kick rhythms. It is another skill to be developed. A word in the physical vocabulary of swimming. Learn enough words and you will soon form your own sentences.

Fins are fine 50% of the time. For kick sets and most drills.

Thanks again. I will try those kick timing drills even though they sound painful to do. But that is why it is a drill right.

2011-03-31 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3423740

User image

Veteran
Maryland

AdventureBear - 2011-03-31 1:33 PM You have more than a solid foundation to build on. You look really good in the water. Thinks I like: You are well balanced. From front to back your shoulders & hips are about even with the surface of the water. This is a drag reducing position and you seem to already have a good handle on it. No Aquatic Violence. You interact with the wtaer well, you are not fighting it or struggling with it. Rotation connecting upper & lower body: Your kick is nicely connected to your upper body via core rotation. As dave notes, you are using a 4 beat kick. The important kick is the main kick that assist body rotation as you enter & extend with the opposite arm. You also have nice streamlining and front quadrant timing...things that again, reduce drag and keep you moving forward in the water. Two things stand out as needing some attention that will take your swimmign to the "next level": Head posiiton. As DAve notes, head is mostly good, but comes up on the breathing stroke. You can try a drill called the "nod" to experiment with head position for breathing without disrupting your swim. At an easy pace, turn your head toward the side of the pool (we call this part the "nod") but don't turn so far as to take a breath. Just nod your head to the side as if you were going to breath and observe a number of things about that position. I do these as 25s alternating a nod with a breath. "I spy" Look toward the opposite wall and focus on the visual feedback you get. What do you see over there? Kids laying? Old people swimmign? a dog in the water? The far pool wall? Just let the visual information flow into your brain and then consider what you saw as you continue to swim. "Shimmer" Nod a little further and just LOOK at the underside of the water. watch the shimmering undersurface that is right above your face "So Near" Nod and focus on the AIR just above the surface of the water. It's SO CLOSE to your face that just a hair further and you'll be there. "WAVE" Nod to the side and look for the bow wave created by your head. You'll only see this bow wave if your head is down, allowing the bow wave to form. If you lift your head, you put your face right into the bow wave getting a faceful of w ater...which instinctively causes you to lift your head even more to clear it and get air. These are just some sample focus points you can use to help feel what proper head position while breathing feels like. There are lots of other focal points to get the same body position across...what works for some may not work for others. The key is to have a range of not only physical thoughts, but also kinesthetic feelings that make you aware of your body position when swimming. Collecting visual information as above is one way of doing it. A thought of "leading with the head" is another way of doing it. One i really like is to fell as if my head is supported on a cushion of water when I nod. The nod allows you to experiment wiht these feelings and ideas without the additional stress of trying to get air at the same time, so simply alternate a nod with a breath and try to make the breath feel like the nodding sensation felt. I have one other thought about your stroke, but I'll letyou digest this first. Let me know when you are ready for another.

Thanks Adventure Bear.  Funny you mentioned those drills.  The last time I was at the pool I tried a few of those, (hard to remember all of them), just from reading your previous posts.  I do like the aspect of the visual information to lead to better awareness of what is going on.  I will work on them again, along with Dave's suggestion to get my head position better for the next level.

Pause....is that enough time for me to digest.  I am ready for more help when ever you are.  My type a/B personality likes to overload every now and then. 

2011-03-31 10:30 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
On the recovery, think of swinging your elbow "AWAY" from your midline. This will free up the shoulder joint to be a little more mobile, eliminating that "stuck" moment at the rear of your stroke. It feels totally different than what you are currently doing, which is a "behind" sort of movement. Try "away" instead...feels odd, but Trust it. Swing the elbow away in a continuous motion with the elbows moving in circular movement at the rear of your stroke.

i could get really long winded here, so I'll stop and just let you try that.

Compare to your video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiWEts7N4uI&feature=player_profilepa...

Note the body rotation at the time of the arm exiting the water and how the elbow moves AWAY relative to the body. Don't worry about where it is in relation to the surface of the water. Just trust the motion and see what it feels like.

Edited by AdventureBear 2011-03-31 10:31 PM
2011-04-01 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3424640

User image

Veteran
Maryland

AdventureBear - 2011-03-31 10:30 PM On the recovery, think of swinging your elbow "AWAY" from your midline. This will free up the shoulder joint to be a little more mobile, eliminating that "stuck" moment at the rear of your stroke. It feels totally different than what you are currently doing, which is a "behind" sort of movement. Try "away" instead...feels odd, but Trust it. Swing the elbow away in a continuous motion with the elbows moving in circular movement at the rear of your stroke. i could get really long winded here, so I'll stop and just let you try that. Compare to your video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiWEts7N4uI&feature=player_profi... Note the body rotation at the time of the arm exiting the water and how the elbow moves AWAY relative to the body. Don't worry about where it is in relation to the surface of the water. Just trust the motion and see what it feels like.

Excellent, thanks for the tip, I will give it a try today.  Great video comparison!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » yet another swim critique please Rss Feed