Pirhana Sports
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 30s
Overall Rank = 404/597
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/23
Pre-race routine:

had half a bagel and tried to psych myself up. I went into this race with a "I'm going to kick arse" mentality.
Event warmup:

some stretching, but not quite enough.
Swim
  • 18m 51s
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was insanely hot. It made it difficult to breathe and every time I went through a cold spot I just wanted to stay in it. The water also stunk like poop and tasted terrible. Overall, I'd say it was a slightly above average swim but nothing fantastic.
What would you do differently?:

I need to kick less in races. I tire my legs out too much when I race but when I train I use my arms more. Gotta focus on the arms.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

I got too tired in the swim and couldn't run into transition. Took 1 electrolyte pill to help with hydration and went on my way.

Nothing. I think the transition went very smoothly.
Bike
  • 58m 33s
  • 19.5 miles
  • 19.98 mile/hr
Comments:

I wish the course had a few more hills--since I'm used to hill riding I can completely rock it and pass people :) There was a lot of clumping and it was really difficult not to draft. I spent more time worrying about getting a drafting penalty than focusing on the riding. I also enjoy the hillier rides b/c I tend to take a drink when coasting and coasting on a flat just loses speed.

Not too much, drink more and use more than 1 gu packet for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

this was quite slow for me, but I couldn't find where to re-rack my bike so it added some time. I also took another electrolyte pill since it was getting wicked hot & humid out.

pay attention to my rack location coming from both directions and dont chug water before the run.
Run
  • 33m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

this was brutal. I hated the first/last bit on the grass--I kept slipping and nearly twisted my ankle a few times from stepping in a hole. it also made it really difficult to get going when running on the soft grass. It was also getting insanely humid and hot out at this point and I just couldnt get going. my legs were like lead and I felt like I was going to vomit. I got a cramp in the middle of my stomach about half a mile in and it didnt go away until nearly the end.

No caffinated gu during a race. They dont bother me in training but this is the 2nd time I've used one in a race and its the 2nd time I've had cramping during the run. also, don't be afraid to go all out and try a little harder and dont be so defeated.
Post race
Warm down:

walking around, rinsed off with the hoses, had some water & gatorade & a banana. felt really ill for about 20 minutes but after sitting in the shade for a little while I felt better.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

running and the humidity. I was not prepared for this kind of climate.

Event comments:

This race was a disappointment to me. Based on my past times and last year's results I thought I had a chance to make top 5 in my AG. But no, I didn't even make top 10 or top half. I wasn't set mentally b/c of the loooong time it took to get into the park and then issues with the CO2 thing not working right plus the super hot conditions all-around. The course was easy, but it still got to me. I'm very disappointed with this. And I really need to do something about my running. Its getting super depressing that I could do so much better if I could only run faster.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-08-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:51 | 805 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/23
Overall: 366/597
Performance: Average
Suit: Javelin tri suit
Course: counterclock-wise triangle in a pond.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:33 | 19.5 miles | 19.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/23
Overall: 284/597
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: 19.5 mile out and back loop on mostly flat course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:06 | 03.1 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/23
Overall: 540/597
Performance: Below average
Course: out and back on mixed surfaces (grass, dirt, rocks, pavement). half in the woods/shaded, half in the sun.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-17 8:28 AM

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: Lums Pond Triathlon

2005-08-17 9:48 AM
in reply to: #227097

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Subject: RE: Lums Pond Triathlon
Don't get down on yourself too hard...the heat was ridiculous.  I was there too (my first triathlon) and it was nasty hot.  I never ever have to walk during training runs and I had to in the race.  I wasn't out of breath or out of energy - just overheated.  The conditions were tough and you made it through.  Get fired up for your next race which I'm sure will be in cooler weather!
2005-08-18 3:23 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC

It was insanely hot.  I too got a side stitch during the run.  What a day! 

Way to tough it out in less than favorable conditions.  Sorry that you feel disappointed.  I'm crossing my fingers that I never have to run in another race under such conditions.

Hope to see you back at Lums Pond next year.  I'm putting in a request for a nice 75 degree day with a refreshing breeze.  We deserve it...

2005-08-18 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port

Anette, don't be so hard on yourself.  I think you did pretty well considering the horrendous conditions.  This was my second time back to this race, and the run still was difficult for me.  I ran an 8.10 mile last year, and this year, I ran an 8:36 mile.  I was plagued with the dreaded side stitch again.  I took some endurolytes and powergel, and still got a fargon side stitch!!!.  This was very frustrating, because it is my 4th year and the second time this year.  I'm pretty sure it is due to 1. heat, and 2. drinking too much on the bike.  You hit it right on the head when you said, " the water smelled like poop, and tasted horrible"! I laughed my azz off, because this is what I said to my friends.  I always say, there is always next year!

Bmac

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lums Pond Triathlon Rss Feed