General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Tri Bike and First Ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-02 3:28 PM

New user
Indianapolis
Subject: My First Tri Bike and First Ride

After months of searching and much debating, I finally purchased my first Tri bike, a used 2010 Cervelo P2C 61 cm. It's my first road bike since my Murray 10-speed from Wal-Mart in 1986! (I got the fluid resistance trainer shown in the picture off of the classifieds here.)

Cervelo P2C

First of all, I'm very glad I got fitted prior to purchasing. I would have gotten too short of a bike otherwise. I was really struggling between the Trek SpeedConcept 7 and a P2C. I actually preferred the SpeedConcept, but I found a used P2C in the only color like, it has better components, and it fits me slightly better. So I got it. Search over.

I did an Olympic last year on my 15 year old mountain bike and it was extremely uncomfortable. The ride was rough and my wrists and shoulders were in extreme pain by the end. The P2C is much more comfortable. I have no problem going an hour on the trainer, with sore leg muscles being the only side effect.

On the road, however, its a different story. I still feel much more at ease and in control on my mountain bike. I feel very exposed and sorta helpless when I'm in areo position. It's going to take a lot of getting used to, especially since I ride mostly on the trainer. It was very windy today and I was surprised how much the gusts affected the front wheel. I'm doing a "warm-up" sprint in 2 weeks and I'm apprehensive about my new ride, but I'm gonna use it anyway.

The cockpit feels a little long to me. I may look into a shorter stem at some point, but it works for now.

The most difficult part, by far, still lies ahead: training enough to not be horribly slow on the bike!

Me riding aero

2011-04-02 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3426688

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: RE: My First Tri Bike and First Ride

Very nice!

If you're like me, going from a mtb to a fairly aggressive aero position will be an incremental process. It looks like the bike is the right size for you. With a few thousand miles, you'll probably want to make some tweaks. I suspect that you'll ride more forward in the saddle under power, and drop your cockpit with spacers and/or the stem.

What a nice machine! They really nailed the frame design.

2011-04-02 5:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Austin Texas
Congrats, she looks lovely.
2011-04-02 5:56 PM
in reply to: #3426702

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX

Congrats on your new ride!  That is a very common feeling when one first rides a TT bike.  You'll get used to it just put on a ton of miles.

That maybe the clearest pic I have ever seen?  Seriously.  Did you use like a 1000megapixel camera or something.  Crystal.

You might want to try moving up on the saddle a bit and see how it feels.

2011-04-02 6:13 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Beautiful bike!  I ride a roadie with aerobars and I was all over the road when I first got off the trainer and back on the road.  I'm sure you will feel much more comfortable after a few rides.
2011-04-03 6:01 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA

What a beautiful set up! I love those SRAM wheels.

The other thing that will help is strengthening your core. When riding, the small adjustments (i.e. left to right or vice-versa) on the road are done by your body, not with the handlebars and front wheel. And relax! You look like you have a death grip on the aerobars.

A shorter stem will shorten the cockpit but I would definitely leave it for now. Until you get used to riding aero, anyway. A shorter stem will make the front end even more twitchy. 

2011-04-03 6:20 AM

New user
Indianapolis

During my bike fit, I was also told I would move forward as I rode more. I've tried on the trainer and it's not comfortable. The seat in general is pretty uncomfortable but I'm getting used to it.

I've only ridden on residential streets. I don't feel comfortable sharing a lane with cars. I need to find a group to ride with and a road that's wide enough.

JeffIrvin: Thanks for the compliment on the pic. I used a Nikon D90 and an external flash. The flash makes all the difference, even outside in direct sunlight. I wish I could ride it as well as I photographed it...

2011-04-03 6:22 AM
in reply to: #3427172

New user
Indianapolis
autigers_1998 - 2011-04-03 7:01 AM

The other thing that will help is strengthening your core. When riding, the small adjustments (i.e. left to right or vice-versa) on the road are done by your body, not with the handlebars and front wheel. And relax! You look like you have a death grip on the aerobars.

A shorter stem will shorten the cockpit but I would definitely leave it for now. Until you get used to riding aero, anyway. A shorter stem will make the front end even more twitchy. 

Thanks, great feedback!

2011-04-03 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3427172

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Tri Bike and First Ride Rss Feed