General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First half Ironman Next Week - Suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-07 9:43 AM

User image

Regular
Massachusetts
Subject: First half Ironman Next Week - Suggestions?

I'm doing my first half-ironman next Sunday in New Orleans.  I feel prepared but would like any suggestions / thoughts of people that have made teh step up from Olympic to HIM.

- I'm concerned about how many water bottles to take on the ride.  I normally ride with two.

- I don't know if I should just take my regular bike pump, or if I should get some type of CO2 gadget.

- What shoudl I eat one and two days before?

- I'm also curious what I haven't thought of?

Any thougths / suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2011-04-07 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3434085

User image

Veteran
Eastern WA
Subject: RE: First half Ironman Next Week - Suggestions?

dont change a thing, ride with 2 bottles, the course should be supported enough to switch bottles as necessary (i usually race with throw away bottles, so i dont lose my good ones)...i am assuming you have a nutrition plan

i would say co2 > bike pump, but you have to be able to use it/comfortable with it!

as far as diet, that depends totally on who you are and what you can handle. personally i like eggplant parm, but light on the sauce as my prerace meal, but everyone is different

first HIM? just pace smart, it doesn't matter if you are 2-5 minutes slower out of the water or off the bike than you wanted, it will all be a PR!

dont forget to smile and thank the volunteers, have a great race.

2011-04-07 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3434122

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Are asking whether to carry a frame pump on your bike or bring CO2?  You really need to have some kind of air with you, and if you have a bike pump that works well then I would stick with that.  The downside of C02 is that you eventually expend it, unlike a pump.  I don't object to CO2, I use it, but it's a little late in the game to try it.  I think there's a learning curve depending on what you buy.

I agree - carry 2 bottles.  Why not? 

Don't forget to eat on the bike!  It's a big portion of time and you want to get set up well for your run.

GOOD LUCK!  And have fun.
2011-04-07 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3434122

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
JMINPNW - 2011-04-07 9:57 AM

dont change a thing, ride with 2 bottles, the course should be supported enough to switch bottles as necessary (i usually race with throw away bottles, so i dont lose my good ones)...i am assuming you have a nutrition plan

i would say co2 > bike pump, but you have to be able to use it/comfortable with it!

as far as diet, that depends totally on who you are and what you can handle. personally i like eggplant parm, but light on the sauce as my prerace meal, but everyone is different

first HIM? just pace smart, it doesn't matter if you are 2-5 minutes slower out of the water or off the bike than you wanted, it will all be a PR!

dont forget to smile and thank the volunteers, have a great race.

Agree with most of the stuff here.  Biggest concern is to NOT change anything - NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY, and I'll extend it out to NOTHING NEW A COUPLE OF WEEKS BEFORE RACE DAY.

If you have used CO2 cartridges before, I would recommend them - have 2 or 3 available with your spare tube(s).

I'm reinforcing the great point about smiling and thanking the volunteers when you can.

Don't change your diet or eat crappy foods - keep healthy (like a pasta, but don't overdo the sauce).

Have a great race!

2011-04-07 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

as for C02, I carry 2 carts and a really small pump.  C02 is convenient, but can screw you if you aren't careful...esp if you haven't used it before.

the small pump won't get the psi's I need but it will get me through the race...

personally I would just bring the pump since that is what you are used to, but start using the C02 ...

2011-04-07 4:10 PM

User image

I would second the suggestions of everyone else on here.  If you're not used to CO2, bring your regular bike pump.  Unless you've used CO2 in practice and hopefully in the tension of a race, then its too big a risk to make on race day.

As far as nutrition goes, again, stick to what you know.  So what would you have one, two days before a big training day.  I'd avoid too much bran or anything like that though if you can.

If you normally ride with two bottles, ride with two.  I did my first half IM with a water bottle and an Aero Drink.  If its a well organized, established race, there should be enough hydration on the course that you don't need more than two bottles.

The logistical difference from Oly to a half IM isn't a huge adjustment in anything other than the bike simply because you may need to refuel out there whereas typically in Oly you don't.  Lots of races will have bottles of gatorade or the like for you to put in your bottle cage, so it might be give a bottle, and get a bottle.  so if you have one of those fancy Camelbak bottles that cost $15 maybe don't use that one.

My first tri was an Oly 2 weeks before a half IM.  Originally I was going to do the HIM first, but signed up for the Oly at the last minute just to get rid of any pre-race jitters.  For the most part its business as usual, just remember to race your own race and not push too hard on the bike out of the water as many people do.  I also try not to down too many calories in the first half hour of the ride cuz your stomach might still be swimming.

good luck to you!!!

2011-04-07 9:56 PM

Regular

I did New Orleans last year and will be racing again this year. Make sure your water bottle cages are tight. I can't tell you how many water bottles were on the road that fell off of bikes, I lost count after 40. The course is rough in some spots but not to bad. 

Carry what you train with water bottles, pump, etc. There were more than enough water stations on the bike and the run. The RD did a excellent job last year when planning  the New Orleans him.

If you have any questions about the city shoot me a PM. I am from New Orleans. I will be glad to answer any questions.

Good Luck!

2011-04-08 10:44 AM

User image

Regular
Massachusetts

Thank you everyone for the thoughts / suggestions.  Utilizing this web site for training and to discuss issues was one of the better tri decisions I've made.  From the reviews of the NOLA tri last year, the finish should be great.

I live in New England, but I grew up and my family still lives in the French Quarter, so this will be a little extra special for me.

Thanks again.

Edited by BradyFinney 2011-04-08 10:53 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First half Ironman Next Week - Suggestions? Rss Feed