General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Tri Bike, Invest or Not To Invest? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-07 6:38 PM

New user

Subject: New Tri Bike, Invest or Not To Invest?

Hello people. I'm new to the forums and my girlfriend and I are both looking into buying our first triathlon bikes. I'm sure this has been asked before but I would throw it out there. I'm no pro and don't have the best bike legs, but I am currently developing them.

I am a recording engineer hobbyist and my mentality on spending money has always been, save your money for something good that will last a long time while producing great results. However, since I majored in Music Technology at school, I have to know the ins and outs of equipment and know where to invest and where not to invest.

So, when coming to a bike, what is the most important part to invest in? I know that a fit and a comfortable bike is number one, but you can buy cheap bikes that can be fit and are comfortable. I know that hardware, seats, wheels, and such is important and that can be upgraded, but what about things that can't be upgraded?

-Like the frame?
-What's the difference between the different carbons?
-How big of a factor is aerodynamics really?

-If you could have spent an extra $1000 on your first bike, why and what would you have spent it on.

We have our first sprint triathlon coming up and I think we should use old road bikes that have been overhauled. But the idea of buying a cheaper tri-bike just to have one has also crossed our minds.

Thanks people!
~trevor

2011-04-07 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3435150

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: New Tri Bike, Invest or Not To Invest?
Welcome!

I would never suggest that people spend big money (or even small money) on bikes before they've even done their first race. Ride what you have or borrow something before you drop big money on a new bike before you even know if you like the sport. Also, I would always suggest that beginners buy road bikes instead of tri-specific bikes. They're much more versatile and the learning curve of learning to ride a roadie isn't as steep as learning to ride in aero.

If I had had an extra $1000 to spend on my first bike, I would have upgraded the components (front and rear derailleurs and shifters/brakes) to 105 from Sora/Tiagra. I'm not sure if that means anything to you, but it kind of ties into your philosophy of " save your money for something good that will last a long time while producing great results." Basically Sora and Tiagra are entry-level components, while 105, while not pro-level, are relatively light and sturdy and will last a long time.
2011-04-07 9:55 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

First, let's not fool ourselves.  A bike is not an "investment."  It's an expense, and even if you can someday resell it you'll never get more than you paid for it.

Second, I agree with the above point that you're best off starting on a road bike.  You may be happy doing races on a tri bike (maybe, if you decide you like triathlon and you can learn to ride comfortably in aero), but most beginners are happier training on a road bike--which means you're likely to ride more, which means you're likely to improve more quickly.  You may also find that you like cycling but don't really enjoy running or maybe you hate swimming, so you don't want to continue in triathlon.  If you really want to try racing on a tri bike see if you can borrow or rent one (but still wouldn't recommend that for your first race).

Third, if I had extra money in the budget I'd put upgrade priorities in this order:

1. Seat, if the one you've got isn't comfortable.

2. Shifters (for a road bike) and rear derailleur.  Shimano 105 seems to be the minimum for serious cyclists.  Believe Apex is the SRAM equivalent.  I think Ultegra is quite a bit better than 105 and Dura Ace is only slightly better than Ultegra.  But that's just my opinion.

3.  Wheels

4.  Frame

5.  Front derailleur

This assumes that you've already got clipless pedals.  If you don't then getting them is #2, but it appears ot me that most of the difference between clipless pedals boils down to personal preference so I wouldn't put a priority on upgrading from one kind to a different kind.

Edited by tjh 2011-04-07 9:59 PM
2011-04-07 11:44 PM

New user

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it greatly.

I guess when I say investment, I should say is it better to buy better equipment?

-How fast does technology in tri-bikes change?
-Will a cheap tri-bike or road bike get me through a 70.3 or 140.6?
-Will a cheap tri-bike or nice road bike last me 5-10 years? 

My goal is to do a Half-Ironman in 2012 and full Ironman in 2013.

I don't think I am going to have the money down the road to afford another tri-bike in another 5 years since I want to go back to school full time, sometime. Should I save the money to buy a tri-bike that will last me 5-6 years?

Thanks again!
~trevor 

2011-04-08 5:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
tafrohberg - 2011-04-07 6:38 PM

Hello people. I'm new to the forums and my girlfriend and I are both looking into buying our first triathlon bikes. I'm sure this has been asked before but I would throw it out there. I'm no pro and don't have the best bike legs, but I am currently developing them.

I am a recording engineer hobbyist and my mentality on spending money has always been, save your money for something good that will last a long time while producing great results. However, since I majored in Music Technology at school, I have to know the ins and outs of equipment and know where to invest and where not to invest.

So, when coming to a bike, what is the most important part to invest in? I know that a fit and a comfortable bike is number one, but you can buy cheap bikes that can be fit and are comfortable. I know that hardware, seats, wheels, and such is important and that can be upgraded, but what about things that can't be upgraded?

-Like the frame?
-What's the difference between the different carbons?
-How big of a factor is aerodynamics really?

-If you could have spent an extra $1000 on your first bike, why and what would you have spent it on.

We have our first sprint triathlon coming up and I think we should use old road bikes that have been overhauled. But the idea of buying a cheaper tri-bike just to have one has also crossed our minds.

Thanks people!
~trevor

I did my first two triathlons last year on a mountain bike (I don't have a road bike) to see whether I would enjoy the sport. This year, I bought a TT bike because my intention is to race in triathlons, not road races.

2011-04-08 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3435537

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
tafrohberg - 2011-04-07 9:44 PM

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it greatly.

I guess when I say investment, I should say is it better to buy better equipment?

-How fast does technology in tri-bikes change?
-Will a cheap tri-bike or road bike get me through a 70.3 or 140.6?
-Will a cheap tri-bike or nice road bike last me 5-10 years? 

My goal is to do a Half-Ironman in 2012 and full Ironman in 2013.

I don't think I am going to have the money down the road to afford another tri-bike in another 5 years since I want to go back to school full time, sometime. Should I save the money to buy a tri-bike that will last me 5-6 years?

Thanks again!
~trevor 

Super cheap equipment (like WalMart bike or a thrashed out used bike) isn't really worth spending money on.  But anything with a decent drivetrain (as mentioned, Shimano 105/equivalent or above) will do you fine up to and including IM distance as long as you keep it in good condition.

There are differences between road and tri bike performance and some difference in different levels of components and new technology, but especially if you're just starting out none of that will make nearly as much difference as improvements in your fitness, strength and skill in riding.  You'll hear it many times--it's not the bike, it's the motor.

So my recommendation would be to get yourself a decent quality road bike (spend what you can without hurting your finances--not too much and not too little) and put a set of clip-on aero bars on it.  That will give you a versatile bike with near tri-bike aero characteristics and performance that should easily last you 5-10 years. 

Then go ride it, a lot.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Tri Bike, Invest or Not To Invest? Rss Feed