General Discussion Race Reports! » Run-N-Tri's "Tradition's Triathlon" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Run-N-Tri's "Tradition's Triathlon" - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gulfport, Mississippi
United States
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 9s
Overall Rank = 9/185
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/19
Pre-race routine:

Slept in my own bed, which is always nice. Ate half a bagel with peanut butter about 2.5 hrs prior to race time, met up with "the show" and a few other friends doing the race and caravaned up.
Event warmup:

Did a 1 mile easy run with ridiculously fast female triathlete.
Swim
  • 07m 42s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim, felt like I was blowing by people. Its hard to tell how you I did, but I had swam the lake a couple of times, and knew when I saw the time that it was really good.
What would you do differently?:

Register earlier, we started in the order of registration, so I was 144. May have been able to cut a little more time off if I didn't have to go through/around people.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Felt really good about this transition, really hadn't practiced taking the wetsuit off too much, and felt like I handled it pretty well.

Learn to jump on the bike with shoes clipped in and get feet in, still feel like I'm going to kill myself doing this.
Bike
  • 47m 45s
  • 16 miles
  • 20.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Enjoyed the ride, it felt good to be racing instead of riding for the first time in awhile, I cost myself some time coming out on to Tradition Parkway when I tried to turn into the run course instead of going around the median, this was my fault for having ridden the course previously and just doing what I had done without looking at the course markings!
All in all, I can't really complain about my bike, as I haven't spent enough time on it to expect too much.

Come to the realization that spin class makes you better at spin class, and is not a substitute for riding.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Great start with jumping off bike and running to rack, but terrible time in transition. My wife was standing there and actually got a picture of me where i was just standing there looking like I'm hanging out. I feel like we may have had a conversation, don't really know what I was thinking.

A lot
Run
  • 19m 18s
  • 3.14 miles
  • 06m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Really felt good, hadn't been running well prior to this race so didn't know what to expect. Its always fun to run people down though.

Nothing, think the effort was there, just need to not have to take two weeks off within a month of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing, just started spectating.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having to take a couple of weeks off due to injury at the beginning of the month, as well as not spending enough time on the bike.

Event comments:

This race was really impressive for a first time event. The neighborhood was really welcoming, and its really exciting to me because I'm in the local area. I'm looking forward to continuing to participate for years to come. I'm sure this event will grow considerably next year as I didn't hear any complaints and everyone seemed ready to sign up for next year. This was, and should continue to be a great way to start Tri Season!

Last updated: 2011-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:42 | 586 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 4/185
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot
Course: Really, really well marked course. Triangle that had large bouys on one side and the bulkhead on the other going out, and a concrete culvert at the end of the pond to keep your bearings when you made turns both times.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:45 | 16 miles | 20.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/19
Overall: 0/185
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Course felt pretty difficult for 16 miles to me. It was really hilly and very comparable to Sunfish course. A couple of really fast spots, and some really slow ones as well.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:19:18 | 03.14 miles | 06m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 3/185
Performance: Average
Course: Very hilly, up and down, with dirt roads, and cedar trails (uphill and winding)
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes