General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Race Complete - Requesting feedback Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-11 11:18 AM

User image

Regular
Frisco, TX
Subject: First Race Complete - Requesting feedback

Finished my first race this weekend.  Here is the detailed race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=247912

In summary for age group - 36/47 on the swim, 30/47 on the bike, and 17/47 on the run.  

I'm headed into a period (24 weeks) between races where I'm going to be challenged with time (newborn here any day now).  My goal is to try to limit workouts with a specific time commitment (i.e., group workouts and coaches) as well as take advantage of workouts close to the house (e.g., bike trainer and local runs), with time away from home being mainly swim workouts at the local gym.  

So where do you think I should focus my energy during this 24 week training period?  What specifically would you suggest that I do (e.g. increase volume, more speedwork, trainer workouts, more of a specific discipline, balanced workouts, etc.) in order of priority?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!   

Thanks for 

Edited by TXTriNewbie 2011-04-11 11:20 AM

2011-04-11 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3439944

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: First Race Complete - Requesting feedback
Too bad you can't get a coach... you sound like a perfect candidate for one.

Obviously, your weakest to strongest events are swim, bike, run.

Keep the run miles up (with recovery weeks) so you don't lose fitness there. Get in the pool twice a week, and try to have someone look at your form. It's probably a technique issue there. So swimming badly a lot, isn't going to help much. Learn to swim better and you will swim faster. Bike 2 to 3 days a week. If you do a trainer ride (assuming you have built a base) you can do some interval work on it.

Really, what you are asking requires a pretty detailed response with a lot of variables involved.

Good luck!

2011-04-11 1:19 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Well, there's fantasy, then there's reality.

With the newborn on the way, it's probably better to focus on reality, and the reality is (for me, at least) that bike training (on a trainer) is far easier to get done while juggling a busy family schedule.

I wouldn't personally adopt a specific plan -- taking care of the new one is the 'plan'.  My only 'plan' would be to be ready to 'ride' (on the trainer) whenever the opportunity presented itself.

And have fun with the new little one!

2011-04-11 1:46 PM

Master
Houston, TX

First off, congrats on your first race.  way to go!

Second, with a new one coming you're going to find that training takes a back seat, if not, it probably should.    Mid night wake ups and all nighters are going to make you tired so make sure you get enough rest.  Pay attention to your body when it tells you it's tired or that it hurts.  Pay attention to the wife and what she needs help with and she'll support you longer in triathlon than if you are gone training all the time.

Third, if you CAN, join a masters swim class and get some help on your technique a couple days a week, then the trainer should take car of the bulk of your bike workouts.and the run, well just run.  At the very beginning it's pretty simple: run a little more than you did last week (no more than 10%), bike a little more than last week, and swim a little more than last week.  No need to make it any more complicated than it really has to be.

I got 3 ages 2, 4, & 8.  Triathlon is tough on the spouse of newborn.  Some people put triathlon on hold the first year.  Some know how to make it work.  I figured out a way to make it work.  One way was scheduling my workouts at night.  I'd get back around 11 - midnight and do the midnight feeding before I went to bed.  Wife and I would rock, paper, scissors for the morning feeding. 

2011-04-11 2:55 PM

User image

Master

When my wife found out that we were expecting our third she requested (stronger than that in reality) that I take a break from Tri's for the pregnancy (her's are very tough and we already had two kids to manage) and after the birth.  I was fine with that - training at effective levels can put a big stress on a relationship already stressed by kids - not to mention adding pregnancy and  newborn.  Our 3rd was born in Feb '10 and the first event I did after that was a fall HM and 10k.  Realistically I would have been too tired to even think of training for three disciplines in the spring and summer of 2010.  Running was a bit easier as you can walk out your door and do it.

Even now, between job and family I struggle to have the energy I want, but have managed to cycle and run pretty regularly over the last month or so.

So, my recommendation is to take it easy and play it by ear.  You may be gifted with an incredibly easy baby and of course I don't know your wife or your relationship. 

If you can, focus on your weaknesses while trying to maintain run volume.  If swimming is a big limiter instead of pounding out 100's of meters get some coaching - small amount of effective coaching can yield a lot of improvements.  Try to maintain whatever cycling fitness you can on a trainer at off hours in the basement.  Can you work out at lunch during work...you will have to get creative on fitting your workouts to your work/life schedule.  Trying to schedule your life around your workouts probably won't work.  Good luck.

2011-04-11 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3440569

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-04-11 3:50 PM

Regular
Frisco, TX
Thanks for the feedback from all!  This is the second kiddo for us so I do understand this will be alot of fitting in workouts when I can.  My goal is just to do what I can to maintain volume and not get worse at anything.  I figure masters class/coach and big increases in volume, etc. are probably not going to happen until at least next Spring.   I'm hoping for one Tri in September.  We'll see how things go between now and then.  
2011-04-11 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3440626

Champion
Calgary
FoggyGoggles - 2011-04-11 2:13 PM

If I were in your shoes, my first priority would be to start thinking about being flexible. Newborns and new mothers need a lot of help and things can be quite unpredictable. That time is also important to creating that bond with your child and being a good "teammate" to your wife.

Okay, now that my "daddy" talk is over. Take advantage of the time when your child and your wife are resting. I would maybe map out a plan with her to include dedicated training time for you and dedicated "R&R" time for your wife. The swim needs some work so I like the idea of a masters swim two to three times a week. Alternate with runs at the same time as your master swim off days. The trainer is there when you have time. And with a newborn around, you might just have to make that time here and there.

Congrats on the race. Congrats on your new life ahead!

Yeah, I like that idea of dedicated R&R time for both of you. Most importantly for her, as you will likely get to go to work for your R&R.

I am not sure if this is your first kid or not but, whatever you do, remember, if you ever ever ever ever ever go for a run/bike/swim, ever, even once, you can never never never never never say you are tired. EVER. Seriously. Don't even consider it.

If you are leaving the house at 5:00 a.m. for a masters swim class, wow, really, wow. There would not be a dog house big enough. But that is just my opinion.

Best is a run at lunch at work if you can work it in. I don't think I got a workout done at home for months after the baby was born. lol, I did a HIM that year and didn't get on my tri bike until the weekend before the race, in August, whaaaa ha ha. All my training was bike commuting.

Anyways, congrats.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Race Complete - Requesting feedback Rss Feed