General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlete new to mcallen, TX Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-11 9:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Triathlete new to mcallen, TX
Hello texans, my names chase 27 and i'm new to texas and triathlons.  I'm living in ATL, GA right now but i'm about to relocate to Mcallen, TX with my wife for a job.  I am going to continue my tri training as ive only done one sprint as of now.  I've looked on active.com but I was hoping that some of you could help me figure out what the nearest "tri cities" are around me.  I saw a tri up in freeport, tx but I would like to search by city so if you guys could give me some good advice I would appreciate it.  I think freeport was like 4-5 hours away which I don't mind but I hoping to find a city that hosts more tri's and maybe has more of a tri scene.

2011-04-12 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3441280

Mcallen, Texas
Subject: RE: Triathlete new to mcallen, TX

Hello Chase and welcome!!

I'm also a beginner tri, i currently live in mcallen. Being new to the scene myself I'm learning about tri's ect... I do belong to a cycling club and participate on the weekly rides. Keep me posted when you do relocate.

Al Ramirez

2011-04-12 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3443383

User image

Veteran
aram71 - 2011-04-12 9:25 PM

Hello Chase and welcome!!

I'm also a beginner tri, i currently live in mcallen. Being new to the scene myself I'm learning about tri's ect... I do belong to a cycling club and participate on the weekly rides. Keep me posted when you do relocate.

Al Ramirez

Hey al, yea man we will have to get up when I get there in May.  We can go on some rides and maybe find some place to do OWS!

chase

2011-04-13 4:17 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Chase - as I understand it, the Rio Grande Valley is not a hot bed for triathlons.  A fellow member of my running/tri team is from Harlingen which is not that far from McAllen.  He travels to Austin and San Antonio for triathlons.  I know there is a tri in Corpus Christi in May as well.  There is a group out of San Antonio, Redemption Race Productions, that puts on several smaller races in and around San Antonio that you should check out.  From now through the fall there are several triathlons a month in and around Austin of various distances and sizes - plenty to build a race year around.

As for training in the Valley, hills are hard to come by and don't practice your OWS in the Rio Grande.

Welcome to Texas!

2011-04-13 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3445107

User image

Veteran
Hook'em - 2011-04-13 5:17 PM

As for training in the Valley, hills are hard to come by and don't practice your OWS in the Rio Grande.

Welcome to Texas!

Uh oh, taken from my first sprint OWS is definitely something I have to work on.  Can you suggest a neighboring city or place I can get an OWS in?

2011-04-13 10:35 PM

User image

Master
Houston
You really aren't far from the beach there.  I stayed in McAllen for a few weeks and went down to South Padre for the weekend.  I think it was only an hour or so... Not that I would do it every week, but it could easily be a day trip.  Might be somewhere closer.

2011-04-14 7:16 AM
in reply to: #3445712

User image

Veteran

NewClydesdale - 2011-04-13 11:35 PM You really aren't far from the beach there.  I stayed in McAllen for a few weeks and went down to South Padre for the weekend.  I think it was only an hour or so... Not that I would do it every week, but it could easily be a day trip.  Might be somewhere closer.

Yes this is what I may have to do with my OWS.  I grew up on the gulf coast (panama city) so you're right I can take a quick hour drive, hit the swim and comeback.  Thanx clydesdale

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlete new to mcallen, TX Rss Feed