General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New bike shopping - bikesdirect.com? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-15 7:15 AM

User image

Subject: New bike shopping - bikesdirect.com?
I'm in the market for a new road bike to replace my old LeMond Nevada City. I have spousal approval of around $1,500 provided I provide matching funds for her bathroom remodeling project. Has anyone ever used bikesdirect.com? I get emails from that site often and they seem to have some pretty good prices. This link is an example of one that I'm considering. I'm looking to see if anyone has had any experience with the site and how difficult it is to finish the 90% assembled bike when delivered. I'd also be interested in any other sites or suggestions that have worked well for you.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/lechamp_cf_ltd_xi.ht...

2011-04-15 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3448044

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami
Subject: RE: New bike shopping - bikesdirect.com?

Their orders ship quick and for the most part people are very happy with their product

My way to simplify this decision is, if you are handy with tools, know your way around bikes and feel confident putting it together, go for it hard to beat their price.  If you are going to pay someone to do all those things, then you might want to go to your LBS and see what they have available at that price point.  I know the CAAD 10 105 is about that price, just not carbon.

2011-04-15 8:22 AM

My roommate just bought that exact bike from BD. Took under an hour to assemble and on the road. Customer service was good too. It's a great bike, rides really nice and has good components.
2011-04-15 11:41 AM

User image

After four months of constantly looking for a bike in pretty much every place I could think if, i decided to order from bikes direct.  My "spousal approval" was for under 1000, so you're doing better than I in that regard.  I have a Motobecane Immortal Pro carbon bike i bought from them in February and I am extremely satisfied.  Bike shipped immediately and arrived without any scratches or dents.  It was quite easy to put together (you put on the handle bars, the front brake caliper, front wheel, and seat post) and came with even better components than advertised (I got the 2010 frame, but they put the 2011 ultegra on it - which is really sweet and a nice surprise - i was just assuming everything would be 2010).  I've put about 300 miles on it so far and am extremely happy with my purchase - i paid 999.99 (under 1000 so I was good with the wife) for a bike that will never be an excuse for poor performance - if I go slower than someone - it's not this bike's fault.   

I was finally convinced that it would be okay to order from them by my classmate and riding partner who bought his wife a bike from bikes direct several years ago with a similar positive experience, along with reading reviews from people who'd put 6000+ miles on the same frame I ended up going with.  To me a high end component list was more important than a big-name frame, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't fall apart on a downhill.  

In March, another classmate of mine purchased a bike from them as well.  He also had no problems or issues whatsoever.  None of us dealt with any customer service so I can't comment on that.  Good luck with the decision! If you do decide to order from them and need guidance putting the bike together send me a message and I can try to give you some pointers.  The most time consuming part of the whole process was carefully unpacking everything and then of course fitting it.  I fit it using mirrors, two friends, a level, and a plumb-bob.  I've tweaked the fit a very very tiny bit since then to get slightly more aggressive.  

I hope this was helpful for you!  If you have any other questions about the bike or the purchase experience let me know.  

2011-04-15 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Another satisfied customer.  I got the Le Champ in titanium and it's awesome.  Company is easy to work with and assembly is pretty easy if you've got very basic wrench skills & tools.

I did replace the seat pretty quickly though, the one that came with the bike sucked.  And I had to shorten up the derailleur cable housing a bit where it came out of the shifters, but that was more an appearance issue than a real performance problem.
2011-04-15 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran

I would go for it. I went with a Windsor Fens from them last April and have been totally happy. I changed the seat out and have been given a set of Dura Ace wheels (not on yet) but other than that the bike it stock and runs just great. I would have no problems buyng from them again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New bike shopping - bikesdirect.com? Rss Feed