General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tales from a rainy day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-19 7:09 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Tales from a rainy day
Ever have one of those days when you knew mother nature was conspiring against you, or at least the big guy was having a little fun at your expense? Today seemed like one of those days. At 11:00 I looked out the window from work and it was raining, so I thought "Oh well no lunch run today." I lost track of time and when I looked up it was 11:52 am magically it seemed to stop raining. Mother nature set the trap and lured me outside for my lunchtime ritual. I stepped out the door got all the way across the intersection before it started raining again. I thought to myself ok I'll do a nice short loop around the High School, but I wanted to do a bit more. When I hit the first decision point the rain suddenly let up and the sky brighted a bit. Seeing this, I opted for a longer loop (Prince Fredick Ave). As soon as I had taken 10 strides into the loop, bang the wind kicked up and the rain was back. Mother Nature seemed to be overjoyed that I had taken the bait again. But at the same time the rain felt good being that it was still 85 degrees and it wasn't raining too hard. Now I considered stretching my journey into a Valley Forge RD loop (and the mile long hill that comes with it). At the decision point for this loop, once again the rain seemed to let up, I got a green light just as I arrived at the intersection. Just like the Bass that get caught and released keeps coming back for more, I knew I had to keep going. Right on cue the heavy stuff started coming down. I felt like Bill Murry in Caddieshack "Oh I think we have another hour before the hard stuff hits." At this point it had become a challenge, I was going to see this thru no matter what. Mother nature responded by turning the spickett on full. But after I past the last spot where i could cut it short and reached the summit, the rain eased off. At that point I got my reward a light mist to keep me cool and a tailwind to take me home. God may have a sense of humor but he seemed to appriciate my dedication and rewarded me with a real feeling of accomplishment for sticking with in and finishing what would normally be a routine training run.

All the way dude!!

2005-08-19 7:20 PM
in reply to: #229340

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Tales from a rainy day
Nice story!  We haven't had any rain in months, and it will probably be another month or so before we get any... but if my rainy runs are anything like this, I'll be happy. 
2005-08-19 7:48 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Mother nature messed with me today too, but not as nicely.

Head home from work, but hoping to get in a 45 min bike ride followed by 45 min run.
Pull up in the driveway, note a few clouds, a little darker than I'd like, but I'll head out anyway.

Get out on the bike, start sprinkling, still not bad I decide to keep riding. Starts raining a little harder. Hah - I say - sometimes it rains for races, I'll keep going. I hit my turn around point and it starts raining quite hard. Again, I say HAH - I'll ride home faster. THEN it starts lightning and thunder and the heavens just open up. I decide to opt for a short cut and race home in the downpour. Sunglasses are impossible to see out of, raining too hard to take them off. The streets are flooding as I ride. Luckily, I seemed to be the only idiot out in that deluge.

Needless to say, mother nature did not sucker me into a run. within 10 minutes, the sun is shining... sigh.
2005-08-20 4:56 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I never want to run in the rain but once I am out there, even in a downpour, I love it. Thunder and lightening, however, will stop me.
2005-08-20 6:26 AM
in reply to: #229441

User image

Master
Michigan
nliedel - 2005-08-20 5:56 AM

I never want to run in the rain but once I am out there, even in a downpour, I love it. Thunder and lightening, however, will stop me.

Nothing better than a run in the rain.
2005-08-20 7:10 AM
in reply to: #229443

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I am back from my 5 miles now and I have a bike planned this afternoon so I am done running for the day, which is a shame. It's raining now. One of those gentle warm rains that washes the earth clean and new. I wish I was out there.

We lived in Florida during hurricane Opal. We lived in a remote place and there was a point in the storm that the wind was whipping and the rain was pouring down and I went outside naked and just let it wash over me like a baptism of fierce joy. It was one of the defining moments of my life. I was not worried about my weight, or looking stupid or what anyone thought. I just was me, in the storm, feeling the power around me and being a part of it. I will never forget that as long as I live. The windy cold November days filled with anger and glory are the best days of the year.

2005-08-20 9:20 AM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Sometimes I want to purposely to run when it's pouring just to know what it's like. I think it will be so cool.

Has anybody bike in the rain? Either on purpose or by accident.
2005-08-21 6:17 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Several Years ago I lived in Florida and during the summer you could just about set your watch on those afternoon thunderstorms from 3:45 to 4:15 each afternoon. Occasionally, things wouldn't quite fit the schedule and I'd find myself out in the middle of a gutter washers as the roads momentarily turned into raging rapids. It was always a challenge because it ws hard to keep your balence and everyone else out there (ie motorists) had to battle the elements and were not always so noticing or considerate to the bike/runner/pedestrian they were passing (read nail you with a roostertail of water as they passed by waaaay too close). However, if I managed to avoid one of those experiences, I actually enjoyed the showers (especially since the sun was typically out about 5 minutes after the downpour stops). Of couse lighting and thunder you could feel were always cause to stop and seek shelter. (I saw a light post get hit by lightining one afternoon while waiting out a storm)

Edited by southwestmba 2005-08-21 6:18 PM
2005-08-21 6:30 PM
in reply to: #229476

New user
Denise2003 - 2005-08-20 9:20 AM

Sometimes I want to purposely to run when it's pouring just to know what it's like. I think it will be so cool.

Has anybody bike in the rain? Either on purpose or by accident.

I've also been caught on the bike while it was raining. I ended up doing twenty miles in the rain and all i can say is it was fun! (that and get water proof grease!)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tales from a rainy day Rss Feed