General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running routes in Winston-Salem? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-19 6:30 PM

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA
Subject: Running routes in Winston-Salem?

Hi folks - figured I would try out the BT community on this.

I will be making an extended stay in the Winston-Salem area for work.  The last time I was there, I found a decided lack of sidewalks, shoulders, or other places to run along the main roads near my hotel.  I'm looking for spots to get in a decent run and am dreading having to use the treadmill.  A park with trails would be great, but frankly, I'd be happy with just a long sidewalk without a lot of traffic lights.

Any suggestions?  My hotel is in the Hanes Mall area.

2011-04-22 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3455539

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, NC
Subject: RE: Running routes in Winston-Salem?

Hobby Park is a stones throw from Hanes Mall.

http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/hobby-park.html

2011-04-25 9:42 PM

There is also a nice seven mile loop around Winston-Lake. Its a bit farther from you than hobby park but well worth it in my opinion.
2011-04-26 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Colfax, NC

I'm partial to running in the Buena Vista area since I've packed in hundreds of miles there.  It is a drive from Hanes Mall but there are tons of runners out there.  I wouldn't consider the Hanes Mall area anything close to prime running territory. 

It all depends on the distance you want to go but you can follow the Mistletoe Half Marathon course out to Wake Forest for a nice long run or shorten it up to suit.  It starts at the Central Y (actually called the William G White Family YMCA now).

http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=89344

You could also head over to the Fleet Feet store off of Stratford Road and take off from there.  Great bunch of folks there that can give some route guidance.

The Salem Lake trail and greenway that rgreer mentioned is a great run as well.  The greenway actually runs from downtown all the way out to Salem Lake.   The trail around the lake is just shy of 7 miles and there is parking available in a few different spots.  The greenway is around 5 miles one way from downtown to the lake.

Edited by argylemonkey 2011-04-26 9:49 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running routes in Winston-Salem? Rss Feed