General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Love/Hate Relationship with Swimming Lately Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-20 2:41 PM

Subject: Love/Hate Relationship with Swimming Lately

My 5am alarm goes off. 

It's time to get out of bed again and head off to the pool. What a chore. Mmm it's so nice and warm in my bed. I'll push the snooze button on my alarm for another 10 minutes. I fall back asleep and my 2nd alarm goes off at 5.10am. 

Get out of bed you lazy bum. No! I don't feel like swimming today, plus I'm already tired from this weeks training. Stop making excuses! But it's so warm. Just 5 more minutes sleep. Wake up! Get out of bed and get to training. 

Does anyone else have this sort of morning waking up for swimming? 

After I've got up and been swimming for 10-20 minutes into my 1 hour swim, I feel full of energy and feel fantastic afterwards as a great start to my day.

So why do I never feel like going if I enjoy it so much during and afterwards?

2011-04-20 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3457106

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Love/Hate Relationship with Swimming Lately

I know how you feel, and I love to swim.  It's what I grew up doing. 

I've started purposely setting my alarm for 10 minutes earlier than I need to so I get one snooze.  Then I get to the pool, in my suit, goggles on, standing at the edge, staring at the water.  That makes me a hippocrate because I hate it when the kids I coach do that, and I yell at them to get going. 

Anyway, like you, once I get going I feel good and as I climb out of the water for the day, I feel a sense of accomplishment.  The reluctance to get up, I hope, will go away once it gets lighter outside in the morning, and once it is warmer (even though I swim indoors).

2011-04-20 2:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I must be the oddball here, i look forward to getting up and swimming and then to my bricks.
2011-04-20 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3457129

User image

I have the same thing but I swim in the evenings, so it's even harder to make excuses not to go. I love it during and after, but getting there, going in the locker room, dealing with the other people at the pool (usually in the wrong lanes based on their speed)... I can find a million excuses. That's why every pool session feels like a victory. Just getting there is a win.
2011-04-20 3:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
I have that problem every morning, whether I'm swimming or not.  I'm just not a morning person.
2011-04-20 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3457241

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City

LGraff - 2011-04-20 2:28 PM I have that problem every morning, whether I'm swimming or not.  I'm just not a morning person.

^^^Yep, that's me, too.  I do my workouts at night when it's my husband's turn to put the kids to bed :-)

2011-04-20 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
New Paltz NY
After I've got up and been swimming for 10-20 minutes into my 1 hour swim, I feel full of energy and feel fantastic afterwards as a great start to my day.

So why do I never feel like going if I enjoy it so much during and afterwards? 

Perhaps it's the hour and that you're not a morning person. I love to swim at 5am and wish I had the opportunity to do so regularly. Partly because I am a morning person. Partly for precisely the reason you cite. I'm so energized by swim practice, what could be better than having that energy at 6:30 as I move on to the rest of my day. 

Usually I swam around noon, as that's when the local college pool opens for public swim. But regardless of what time I swim, my ideal is to feel a sense of eager anticipation beforehand. That anticipation is based on the mental satisfaction and physical pleasure I get from swimming well.

Matt Fitzgerald wrote that Haile Gebresellasie plans his training based on enjoying the experience, more than on any physiological considerations. I do much the same. That ensures I'm drawn to practice rather than having to push myself to it. 

If I don't feel that pull, I'll usually opt to skip the practice. I'm not suggesting you hit the snooze button, but that you find a way to more strongly imprint the way you feel 10 minutes in on your memory.

Edited by Total Immersion 2011-04-20 5:26 PM
2011-04-20 5:31 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Totally relate except I can't be trusted with a snooze button.

I have a much harder time getting out of bed to ride the trainer than to go swimming. I like the rhythm and comfort of a morning swim but the trainer is a relentless task master.
2011-04-20 5:37 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
I am a morning person, but still would like to sleep in a little later. However, I love the 'me time' aspect of working out in the morning & I never hit snooze. Maybe it comes from being a homeschooling mom & knowing this is probably the only hour (or so) I'll have just for me during the day?

And, I'm also afraid that if I start skipping workouts, it'll be easier to miss more workouts. So, I always keep these appointments with myself...whether swimming or biking or running.
2011-04-20 6:58 PM

New user
I struggle with getting up to go swiming also this doesn't stop untill i have my first 50  yards in then i'm fine
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Love/Hate Relationship with Swimming Lately Rss Feed