Cascade Swim Club
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 8s
Overall Rank = 16/18
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5:30 a.m. and laid in bed until 6 a.m., knowing that my heat began at 8:30 a.m. My bag was packed and bike was waiting to be loaded, and I live 5 minutes from the pool. I got up and ate a bagel with peanut butter, a small banana, and a 22-ounce glass of water. I took a warm shower, loaded up my bike and headed to the pool at 7:25 a.m. I arrived, got registered, and set up my transition station with 15 minute sto go before the first heat. I watched the heat go off and then changed into my gear for the swim.
Event warmup:

I did a 50 meter swim warm-up along with some brief stretching (wishing I would have done more now)
Swim
  • 19m 6s
  • 547 yards
  • 03m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam the first 50 meters in pretty good form via crawl stroke. Then, with my excitement and lack of experience swimming, I began to resort to other strokes. I did mainly side-stroke for the remaining distance and often got into a good rythym. I did attempt to swim the final 25-50 in a crawl but the results were mixed. I definitely need to spend much more time lap swimming in the future.
What would you do differently?:

Seeing as how I committed to doing this triathlon about four weeks ago and seeing as how I spent about 8 sessions in the pool (My first 8 sessions in 25-30 years.), I will definitely continue with my lap swimming and with receiving instruction.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

TRansition wnet fairly well. I did have top sit down to put on my socks. There was an extended area between the transition and the mount/dismount area - something that surprised me.

I would get a race belt. I would also find an easier way ti slip on my helmet. Practice, practice, practice.
Bike
  • 54m 1s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 13.81 mile/hr
Comments:

With no one in front of me and no one behind me, I struggled to maintain a consistent pace. I also struggled with finding the appropriate gear. I also stopped at the top of a hill to relieve myself (urinate).

First and foremost, I would ride a better bike. I rode a Fred Meyer psuedo-moutain bike speciual with wide knobby tires and no race computer. I would also wear bike shoes that clip into the pedal (rather than the plastic cages I had.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Pretty good transitionas all I had to do was rack my bike and exchange my helmet for my hat.

I found running without music to be much more difficult than anticipated as hearing my exhausted breathing took a psychological toll.
Run
  • 31m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Harder than I ever expected it to be. Had some muscles aches. Also, I felt like I had too much water jostling through me. This was a major concern. Had six 30 second walks during my run and one 30 second stretch. Very hard to complete, but that last 50 meters felt awesome!

Train more with runs beyond 30 minutes.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for about 800 meters, stretched, dreank Gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and experience.

Event comments:

My first tri, and I completed it! I wanted to finish in less than two hours, and I finished in 1:44.08. Now, I have a target. I placed (first) in the Clydesdale division that did not include more than a couple others -frst-timers with similar body types and experince like mine.

For the first time in my life, I felt like an athlete. And, now, I am a triathlete! Thanks to everyone here for their support. Next week, I will begin one of the programmed training plans on this site so that for my next tri I can do even better.

One of my favorite parts of this race (my first race of any kind!) was encouraging fellow particpants and hearing race volunteers encouraging me.

Last updated: 2005-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:06 | 547 yards | 03m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/18
Performance: Below average
Suit: Jammers
Course: Pool swim. 20 lengths (10 laps) in 25 meter pool. I was in heat two, lane two by myself.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:01 | 12.43 miles | 13.81 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Relatively flat with a couple of hills and one long minor incline.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:01 | 03.11 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat except for downhill start and uphill finish - there was a lap around the track at the end, but a major hill (major for a novice runner like me, anyway).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-21 2:03 PM

Subject: High Desert Challenge

2005-08-22 8:47 AM
in reply to: #229932

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Subject: RE: High Desert Challenge
Congrats on your first race. Keep up the hard work.
2005-08-22 9:48 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

You did really well for your first race.  Isn't it cool to discover the thrill of competition?

Good job!

2005-08-27 2:30 PM

Thanks for your support!

I begin Michael Pate's 22-week plan on Monday.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » High Desert Challenge Rss Feed