General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Calorie discrepancies Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-29 2:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Garmin Calorie discrepancies

Yes, I know there have been countless discussions on actual calories burned vs garmin estimates for calories burned. Just wanted to relate my experience with numbers.  I just started riding with a powertap this year, so my calorie counts for this year should be much closer to reality as opposed to garmin mathematic calculations. Did a 60 mile loop today that i've done several times last year. Last years rides were 4000-4500 calories for 60 miles with 3500' of climb, todays ride was calculated at 2200 calories. On the bright side, i now have a better, more realistic idea of what my calorie burn is due to power tap, and my average speed today was 1.0 mph faster than my best time on the loop last year. 

2011-04-29 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3473836

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lawrenceville, GA
Subject: RE: Garmin Calorie discrepancies
Cavemann - 2011-04-29 3:31 PM

Yes, I know there have been countless discussions on actual calories burned vs garmin estimates for calories burned. Just wanted to relate my experience with numbers.  I just started riding with a powertap this year, so my calorie counts for this year should be much closer to reality as opposed to garmin mathematic calculations. Did a 60 mile loop today that i've done several times last year. Last years rides were 4000-4500 calories for 60 miles with 3500' of climb, todays ride was calculated at 2200 calories. On the bright side, i now have a better, more realistic idea of what my calorie burn is due to power tap, and my average speed today was 1.0 mph faster than my best time on the loop last year. 

That's good to know...

I always view any calcuated calories as a guess at best... but if you stick with the same method, you should be able to build a good baseline for comparison... as long at the calculation method is fairly good.

IE, I don't try to compare my Garmin Foreunner 305 watch with my polar watch calculations... but over a years period of time, both watches each have a good base line to compare back against.

Edited by Davisjl 2011-04-29 2:49 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Calorie discrepancies Rss Feed