General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone used the Ben Greenfield IM training program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-09 4:49 PM

User image

Master
Wilmington
Subject: Anyone used the Ben Greenfield IM training program
Hi just curious if anyone has used  Ben Greenfields ironman trainng program . He has awesome pod-casts  and great advice.  Any thoughts

2011-05-09 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3490145

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Subject: RE: Anyone used the Ben Greenfield IM training program
I started the dominator package but abandoned because it really didn't fit me. I think it was a bit too structured for me and I needed less intensity. I have listened and read the included information and it was helpful.

Also, I didn't like all the pushing of supplements and while I'm not saying he isn't right, it just is too much detail for me. I also did not like training peaks because unless you pay a bunch more, it is next to impossible to make things fit.

One thing I will give Ben, he is good at marketing and I found him to be very personally engaged with what was going on. When I had a problem or question, he was very prompt in replying.

I currently am on one of the BT plans and really like this program much better.
2011-05-09 6:38 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
IMO, if you are looking for a pre-written plan, it is hard to go wrong with the Gold level membership here. For that you get a plan written by Mike Ricci, one of the most highly qualified coaches I know, who has a wealth of experience working with athletes. Further, you get support in the forum from Mike and other D3 coaches to provide guidance and support in your journey.

Shane
2011-05-09 8:55 PM

User image

Master
Wilmington
Thanks for the replies. I am still undecided about which plans. 
2011-05-09 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston
Livestrong191 - 2011-05-09 5:49 PMHi just curious if anyone has used  Ben Greenfields ironman trainng program . He has awesome pod-casts  and great advice.  Any thoughts
I'm using it for IMLP in July. It's pretty intense and I'm pretty certain it will get me through. I didnt buy into all the supplement stuff and just try to eat right, so I sway there a bit. I wasn't on BT when I found it otherwise I may have used the plan here. I'll post a review of it after my IM to see how it prepared me, but I'll second the notion that Ben has been personally engaging during the process. I had to walk a Sprint last July and now I'm doing Olympics and HIMs as part of the plan, so it definitely helped me ramp up without injury. I would recommend that anybody looking at it be able to do an Olympic first, as ramping up my volume at the beginning to meet the plan was tough. Personally, I like the detail and structure and Ben launched a separate forum to help with questions about the plan (there is flexibility there). Also prepare for the long weekend workouts. The marketing makes it look like it's easy, but you don't get away from the long workouts on the weekend. Had a century ride followed by a 12m brick last weekend.I need to work on my run more, so I may enlist a coach to help after this one. I haven't seen anything negative on it yet other than cheesy marketing, but the hard core dont show it any love either. I think they may respect it more if they see the actual plan.
2011-05-09 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3490597

User image

Veteran
Boston
Btw, sorry for the crazy run on sentence. iPad had issues with this forum and line breaks.

2011-05-10 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3490597

User image

Champion
mogulbumm - 2011-05-09 11:08 PM

Had a century ride followed by a 12m brick last weekend.

Based on this workout, I would even more strongly suggest passing on these plans and going with the D3 plans available here.

Shane
2011-05-10 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3490951

User image

Veteran
Boston

gsmacleod - 2011-05-10 8:06 AM
mogulbumm - 2011-05-09 11:08 PM Had a century ride followed by a 12m brick last weekend.
Based on this workout, I would even more strongly suggest passing on these plans and going with the D3 plans available here. Shane

Hi Shane,

I respect your opinion as a coach.  Without seeing the full plan, why would you recommend the above?

A typical week is:

Mon/Wed - Bike and weights/training (bike is generally speed drills one day and power the other, weights are a lot of body weight and core - mostly high intensity that works multiple muscle groups)

Tue/Thurs - Swim and Run (swim is mostly drills and run is generally speed one day and drills/hills the next, but they vary)

Friday - Off

Saturday - Longer swim, longer run

Sunday - Long bike

They vary during the base, build, and recovery stages, but scale up.  The century brick with the run was an anomaly right before a recovery week.

So far, it has really helped me ramp up my fitness with zero injury.

But I haven't seen the D3 plans on this site so I'm definitely interested in what your input is as well. Since I'm so far into the plan, I'm going to finish it for this IM but will look at others for my next.  I've learned so much more this year just from being on this forum that I'm always open to recommendations, but I also don't think anybody should judge a plan too harshly based on a single workout example.  I only put that in there since people look at the site and assume you don't need to put in the work for an IM.

2011-05-10 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3491071

User image

Champion
mogulbumm - 2011-05-10 10:04 AM

Without seeing the full plan, why would you recommend the above?

IME there are very few athletes who should consider doing a 100/12 so to have it as a part of a stock plan makes me question the plan.

But I haven't seen the D3 plans on this site so I'm definitely interested in what your input is as well. Since I'm so far into the plan, I'm going to finish it for this IM but will look at others for my next.  I've learned so much more this year just from being on this forum that I'm always open to recommendations, but I also don't think anybody should judge a plan too harshly based on a single workout example.  I only put that in there since people look at the site and assume you don't need to put in the work for an IM.

Not really judging based on one workout; as I posted in my first response, I think that Mike Ricci's plans are likely far superior to what most other coaches are putting out as generic plans and seeing a 100/12 as part of a generic plan raises greater concerns about these particular plans.

Shane
2011-05-10 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Wilmington
The thing is I noticed that D3 multi plans use BT and  trainingpeak training programs and thats where Ben greenfield is affiliated with pacifictrainng in conjunction with training peeks. So it looks like a melting pot of training programs from the same sources.
2011-05-10 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3491356

User image

Champion
Livestrong191 - 2011-05-10 12:13 PM

The thing is I noticed that D3 multi plans use BT and  trainingpeak training programs and thats where Ben greenfield is affiliated with pacifictrainng in conjunction with training peeks. So it looks like a melting pot of training programs from the same sources.

Do not confuse the coach who created the plan with the method use to deliver the plan. Plans may be communicated in a variety of ways (email, spreadsheets, documents, TrainingPeaks, BT, Workoutlog, RaceDay, etc) but how the coach chooses to package and devlier the plan to an athlete has no bearing on the quality of the plan.

Shane

2011-05-10 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3491390

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
I'm doing it for IMKY now as well. I used a Matt Fitzgerald plan for my first IM back in 08. Both plans have worked well for me. I like how the BG plan has specific HR intensities and overall higher intensity, shorter duration workouts. He has about 6 centuries as a lead up for the IM, whereas I did 1 before in my other plan. He also has 2 strength training days in there, which I also like.

I finished and met my time goal with the previous program I used, but I wanted to try the BG plan to try to better my time and just try some new stuff. Its not for everyone though, as some people may be more prone to injury and some of the higher intensity running and biking may be more difficult. Plus, its a 36 week plan versus most other plans I have seen at 24 weeks or so.
2011-05-12 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3491715

User image

Master
Wilmington

TriathletePT - 2011-05-10 12:31 PM I'm doing it for IMKY now as well. I used a Matt Fitzgerald plan for my first IM back in 08. Both plans have worked well for me. I like how the BG plan has specific HR intensities and overall higher intensity, shorter duration workouts. He has about 6 centuries as a lead up for the IM, whereas I did 1 before in my other plan. He also has 2 strength training days in there, which I also like. I finished and met my time goal with the previous program I used, but I wanted to try the BG plan to try to better my time and just try some new stuff. Its not for everyone though, as some people may be more prone to injury and some of the higher intensity running and biking may be more difficult. Plus, its a 36 week plan versus most other plans I have seen at 24 weeks or so.

Awesome let me know how the program works for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone used the Ben Greenfield IM training program Rss Feed