Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-08-24 7:46 PM
in reply to: #232945

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: OWS vs. Pool , I want the truth
I think you should try the lake at least once if only to practice sighting. Laurie explained the spot. Its called the swimming hole and always has folks on Wednesday. Yes, Panama City is clear water but sighting in OW is much harder than in a pool. The lake is hot right now but the poop count is low. I am attaching a link to the water quality sight so you can make sure its good when you want to go.

http://www.saveourlake.org/water_quality.asp

The number to look for is the Fecal Cloriform count as long as its under 200 its okay to race. I only practice if its under 100. Dont go right after a heavy rain.

Practice siting between pilings, its important. The most frustrating part of open water swimming to me is getting lost and swimming way out of the way. If you go on Wednesday their is likely to be a crowd which is good. If my schedule permits I may go next Wednesday but their is generally a crowd there and many bring bikes and do brick training.

2005-08-24 8:39 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I love OW.

That said - I did get in once before my first tri just to see.  And, to practice sighting, which was a LOT different than practicing in the pool.  I found the sighting practice helpful, but I was fine in the water.

The only thing is that you will probably need to be prepared for the fact that your race swim will be a lot colder than your pool swimming.  Make sure you get in to warm up in the water at your race.  This is always the hardest part for me, I hate getting in.  Once I'm in, I'm fine.

2005-08-24 9:01 PM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
When I did my first OWS I really, honestly didn't think I would have a problem. I had been swimming lots and felt like I'd become a strong swimmer. But I wasn't prepared for the wind and choppy water. When I was swimming it felt like I was treading water and going nowhere. I got tired really fast. On top of it the water was super clear and I could see the "seaweed" and rocks and a few fish and for whatever reason that tripped me out and I suddenly felt claustrophobic. So for me, the OWS was physically difficult, and then it became mental. I practiced my OWS 3 more time after that and each time it got better. On race day, though, all the nervousness and anxiety melted away and none of the "mental" stuff was even a factor. I was just so ready to go. My swim wasn't the best but I am so glad I practiced. I wouldn't have wanted to have had any surprises.

Good luck with your race!
2005-08-24 9:40 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I think I am going to try to get out there on Wednesday with Laurie, sausage inducing trisuit and all, and do one. Can't hurt right?

Although now I'm all worried about the getting diseased.

2005-08-24 11:06 PM
in reply to: #232985

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

Colomingle - 2005-08-24 1:29 PM Just a different perspective for you. I LOVE open water swimming. If I never had to swim in a pool again, I wouldn't.  I love the Zen feeling of it...it's nothing but me, the water, and the sky.  Sure you get jostled a bit at the beginning, but you work your way out of that and then just focus on you and what your body is doing. No flip turns to slow you, no walls in your way, no lane lines to jam your fingers in. It's jsut you and nature.  I feel more bouyant in OW, faster, and more serene.  I think it is psychological for a lot, that said, conditions can influence your swim.  Just put yourself in your space and do what you know how to do...swim.

Melanie

I'm with you on that Melanie!  I love swimming in the lake.  The lagoon where I train during the summer is 180 yards across... which takes me about 4:30 - 5:00 to cross depending on how hard I'm working. 

That said, not everyone likes looking at the bottom of a lake.  That's the mental part.  There's plants in there, fish, etc.  (Personally, the etc. sometimes freaks me out.)

Physically, there's the whole "no wall" thing, so you really have to be a good-enough swimmer to either swim the whole way, or know how to tread water.

Most of my race swims have been pretty placid.  The only one I didn't enjoy was my race in April, Ice Breaker -- true to the name, it was cold!  And it had been raining all morning, with pretty decent wind gusts, so the water was choppy.  I had a couple of moments of motion-sickness on that one.  And after about the 5th wave to hit me in the face when I'd turn my head to breathe, I figured out that I should either breathe on the other side, or work on timing my breaths with the waves.  I probably perfected my "reach" on that swim alone, as I was "reaching" for the shore the whole way!

2005-08-24 11:13 PM
in reply to: #233239

Expert
New Orleans, LA
madkat - 2005-08-24 11:06 PM

I'm with you on that Melanie!  I love swimming in the lake.  The lagoon where I train during the summer is 180 yards across... which takes me about 4:30 - 5:00 to cross depending on how hard I'm working. 

That said, not everyone likes looking at the bottom of a lake.  That's the mental part.  There's plants in there, fish, etc.  (Personally, the etc. sometimes freaks me out.)

Physically, there's the whole "no wall" thing, so you really have to be a good-enough swimmer to either swim the whole way, or know how to tread water.

Most of my race swims have been pretty placid.  The only one I didn't enjoy was my race in April, Ice Breaker -- true to the name, it was cold!  And it had been raining all morning, with pretty decent wind gusts, so the water was choppy.  I had a couple of moments of motion-sickness on that one.  And after about the 5th wave to hit me in the face when I'd turn my head to breathe, I figured out that I should either breathe on the other side, or work on timing my breaths with the waves.  I probably perfected my "reach" on that swim alone, as I was "reaching" for the shore the whole way!

Yeah, I've been doing TI,   I figure if it all comes down to the nitty gritty and my body just up and forgets how to swim, I'll Skate my way through the whole course. Ha! Just kidding, but I can float pretty fast, oh man i'm gonna look like such a dork.

I'll be okay with "the etc." as long as "the etc." etc's away from me. I think I'm going to have to tell myself during the race that "brandy it was just another swimmer" even if I know that it wasn't.

2005-08-24 11:15 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal
As a DNF earlier this summer as a direct result of freaking out on the first leg I have to say get in the open water before the tri. Find someone with a boat to row or kayak beside you.

Pick a goal if you can. A channel bouy or something that you can sight on because you will be amazed at how far off track you can go in a few strokes.
2005-08-25 6:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think another thing is that even now you say that you get butterflies in your stomach thinking about your race.  Even if you are a strong pool swimmer, I think ocean swimming is totally different, and you will be nervous because it is not only a race, but it's your first.  I am very confident as a swimmer, and it never occured to me that I would "freak out".  My first OW was my first race.  I didn't "freak out", but it was a lot of new things to deal with on race morning.  My HR was sky high just from nerves, and gettting over the breakers, I went anaerobic.  Then when you add in the other people, the taste of intense salt in your mouth, the constant chop that get even more salt water in your mouth, current, undertow, sighting, diving under waves...it was just a LOT of first time stuff.  In the end none of it "freaked me out", but I would say that if I had to do it over again, I would have found a way to get not only in open water, but get in the Gulf before your race.  You just want as few "new" things on race morning as possible.
2005-08-25 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT
Subject: OWS is more mental....

It's more mental, I think.  In a pool, there is light, no animals, no vegetation, it's more shallow (most of the time), there aren't boats, the lifeguard sits closer, there is a line to follow, and there isn't chop.  There's a lot more to think about going on in the background than in the pool.  This made me ancy at first.  After an entire five months in lakes, I'm just learning to relax.  I still wouldn't OW swim alone.  The Gulf has sharks, so I'd be wary of swimming at dawn and dusk. Physically, if there is a current or strong chop, that would be something to be alert about.  Otherwise, it's all mental, and you sound like you can handle it.

2005-08-25 8:20 AM
in reply to: #232985

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

Colomingle - 2005-08-24 5:29 PM Just a different perspective for you. I LOVE open water swimming. If I never had to swim in a pool again, I wouldn't.  I love the Zen feeling of it...it's nothing but me, the water, and the sky.  Sure you get jostled a bit at the beginning, but you work your way out of that and then just focus on you and what your body is doing. No flip turns to slow you, no walls in your way, no lane lines to jam your fingers in. It's jsut you and nature.  I feel more bouyant in OW, faster, and more serene.  I think it is psychological for a lot, that said, conditions can influence your swim.  Just put yourself in your space and do what you know how to do...swim.

Ditto...it's the greatest feeling!

BUT, on my first open water swim, I ran out from the beach with everyone else and dived in. The water was so cold that my HR raced, nevermind that I had just sprinted into the water. I couldn't see the bottom, i couldn't calm down...I really freaked out.

I guess that you won't have the issues with cold water, but the adrenaline of your first tri could throw you off. Best to just get it over with to see what it's all about!

2005-08-25 8:20 AM

User image

Buttercup
The ocean is in motion; the pool is not. You would do well to get a feel for moving water before your event, get acclimated to a wholly new experience. Also, you'll want to get used to salty water in your mouth (my first time I was so thirsty after my swim). You're gonna dig how much more buoyant you feel in salt water than pool water, too.

2005-08-25 8:26 AM

Pro
Andover
I have never been a strong swimmer but I've also never been afraid of the water/swimming. I did one OW swim before my 1st Tri and was very comfortable. It reminded me of when I used to snorkel for lost fishing lures when I was a kid.

I went into my 1st Tri worried about the distance, even though I had covered it in the pool, but not worried about being in OW.

I started the swim at the BOP and was fine. The, I caught some people and had to pick a line around them. Of course, the line closed up as I tried to take it and I got bumped a bit--nothing serious. Then, I got hit--again, nothing serious. But, it was a new and odd experience.

So, I said to myself," I can do one of three things: slow down and fall back; try to pick another line; or go with it and use the bumping as a learning experience." I chose the third option and was glad I did as I'm no longer bothered about the bumping/hitting--just very aware of where I am in relation to those around me--making sure to look as I roll--so I don't lose my goggles/contacts.

Well, that is my experience.

Good luck--I'm sure you'll do fine!
2005-08-25 8:52 AM
in reply to: #232967

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

awol - 2005-08-24 4:10 PM here's a good way to practice the mass start - get in the pool when it's open for families, instead of during lap swimming hours. if you can survive, say, 1/2K weaving your way trough that mess you're ready for anything.

I second this...but do it with your eyes closed.  For me, the freakout was a kind of claustrophobia- I felt trapped that people were climbing over the top of me and I couldn't see an empty space to go to.

Last weekend I swam my 3rd open water race, and it's the first time I didn't hate it.

Debi

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS vs. Pool , I want the truth Rss Feed  

of 2