General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Tethers? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-22 6:22 PM

New user

Subject: Swim Tethers?

My community pool doesn't offer child care, which means that over the summer I'll need to have my kids with me.  They both know how to swim, but I will not get a good workout in if they are in the lanes right on top of me. 

My gym has a pool and child care, but it's a very small pool (used mostly for aquafit and rehab).  They do have a swim tether, but I have visions of my limbs getting all caught up in the tether and me drowning! 

Has anyone here used one before?  Are they easy to use?  Are they safe?  Do they offer an effective workout?  How do you guestimate distance?  Could I have any more questions???  LOL!

Thanks in advance!

2011-05-22 6:41 PM
in reply to: #3512652

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Swim Tethers?
Don't know anything about swim tethers etc but does your pool by any chance offer summer activities for the chilren or lessons of some sort (i.e I've seen some around here offer more intensive lessons - every day as opposed to every week type set up) during summer? If so try and get your workouts in then. Also if you're kids are already good swimmers you may be able to set them up in an adjoining lane (or your own if you're willing to share) and introduce them to lap swimming which would include how to share, wait for mummy, sibling to finish before they start etc.
2011-05-22 9:59 PM

New user

Thanks for the tips, I do appreciate the input 

Our pool does offer daily lessons during the summer, but both of my kids are beyond them and are taking private lessons.  My older son (8 yo) is actually on the swim team, so he's very familiar with swimming laps ~ the issue I have with swimming with them is "Mommy, look at this!"  "Mommy, race me here!"  "Mommy, can I use your kickboard?"  etc..etc..etc..

My younger son is 5 and isn't quite ready for lap swimming alone yet.  He does great with me or the instructor swimming beside him, but he still tires easily (we're working on his endurance) and needs someone to be keeping an eye on him.  So, I can't really get a decent workout with him there.

I do take them to the pool regularly and work with them, but it's not really a great swim workout for me.  I am able to swim occasionally when they are in their private lesson ~ however it's during a really busy time at the pool and there are often already 3-4 people per lane by the time we get there....it's a crap shoot whether or not I'll be able to get in. 

2011-05-23 1:04 AM
in reply to: #3512940

Extreme Veteran
I see the issue. You could always use the  "race me" bits for speed work though and maybe get the younger one to wait for you at the end of each set before he starts or something - that or see if theres lessons for the "advanced swimmers" that he could go to to gain more independence with the swimming independantly as opposed to needing you/instructor all the time. On the kick board thing there's quite an obvious fix - get each child their own if finances allow.
2011-05-23 3:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Are you talking about stretch cordz?  If so, those things are awesome.  But, you better be a good swimmer and be in great shape cause they are challenging and can damage shoulders in a hurry.  Great for sprint work, exhausting as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Tethers? Rss Feed